1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Water Flow

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by dero, Dec 30, 2012.

1. dero

dero New Member

My plants in my tank do not have much movement, I'm using a back filter at the moment because it's all I could afford. When the water is about an inch or so from the top of the tank the back filter creates pretty good movement but it also creates a lot of oxygen bubbles where my co2 is. Is this a bad thing? Should I invest in a small cheap power head? Thanks guys! Any help will be great

2. jasonperry

jasonperry Aspiring Aquascaper

i shouldnt worry about the oxygen bubbles its a good thing and as for ur water movement you could invest in hydor wave power pump for nanos depens on what size tank you have they vary in size as in lph or lpg depens on how you meassure there very effective one of best bits of equipment i installed the main aim is to get at least 10times turn over per hour. also good circluation around the tank ensures that the nutriants and c02 delivers to the plants and roots effectively.
    regards jason :)

3. dero

dero New Member

Thanks for that, now should i have good movement on top of the water or am i looking to have somewhat of a current deep in the tank, its a 75 gallon tank? thanks again

4. jasonperry

Thats fine if u want more just add 2 one at top and bottom but them wave makers create current all around its self pluss at the top if u place it in a good position. but yeah u can have as many as u want aslong as u have steady movement of the plants its fine but not too harsh. if you know what i mean too harsh may just damage some plants.hope this helps Regards jason :)

5. jasonperry

With ur tank been quite big u could go for a doubel hiydor wave maker just work ur tank ltr out and see if the wave makers will turn it over ten time an hr my tank is only small so i only have a 900 lph wave maker also remember ur filter lph aswel my filter turns my tank over around 9times phr and i just use my hydor for assist and extra surface movement as an extra hope this makes sence if not ill explaine it diffetant regards jason.

6. dero

dero New Member

My filter moves 500 gallons per hour, so i should probably get a power head that does at least 300gallons per hour? what i am most worried about is my co2, i dont want to have dead spots with it

7. jasonperry

aslong as u dont over kill with ur currant ul be fine like i say if all ur plants have a nice movement aswell as on the bottom of the tank it will be ideal. as long as its not too harsh wear its gunner blow ur fish all over and brake plants. u always get an area in the tank were the flow is week but aslong as ur c02 is been deliverd all around ur plants leafes and the base of the plants ur fine u could get urself a

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HYDOR-KOR...6?pt=UK_Pet_Supplies_Fish&hash=item35b50948e2
    and see how it dose and if u want a little more movement get a smaller one or same size these are very good bits of kit if its placed in a good position in the tank. hope this helps :) ur aim is with the filter is to get at least 10x turn over per hour the wave makers are mainly assistanse to help the currant along and get to the dead spots and help the all in all water movement ie the surface movement aswel. sorry if i didnt explaine very wel dont want to confuse you ha ha

8. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Yeah, basically what Jason says is correct, more flow means more co2 is available to the plants and in turn avoids dead spots. There are a few things to expand on, the reason wave maker type pumps work so well in planted tanks is because they move the whole water column in a way that a powerhead or even a filter just cannot, they deliver a low pressure high turnover laminar flow very similar to those plants experience in streams, they also enable higher turnovers, the 10x rule sort of breaks down with wavemakers because they are low pressure, so more is less vicious than a regular powerhead of a similar turnover would be, also, the 10x rule kinda originated for filters as a good yard stick with which to work to get good flow while providing a filter powerful enough to deal with glassware and inline equipment and all that, these ultra high turnover pumps delivering huge turnovers very easily simply weren't on the cards at the time so we don't really have a suitable model in which to place them, they are brilliant if you can justify their visual impact in the tank however.

A good level of surface movement means it shouldn't break the surface, you want good movement but not so much it's creating bubbles. This will drive the co2 out of the water making it harder to maintain stable co2 as it will be forcing the co2 to equilibrium with the atmosphere more quickly.

9. jasonperry

Thats it garuf ha ha and sorry for the slight wrong input about oxygen bubbles been a good thing i didnt think about that they throw the c02 out.