1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Water Fleas??? Help.

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Kcraven, Jan 21, 2014.

1. Kcraven

Kcraven Aspiring Aquascaper

Hey guys. I Came home today to find small little critters in my 2foot shrimp tank. I have done some research and I have been informed that they are 'water fleas' or also referred as 'seed shrimp' and are apparently a indicator of good water quality. HOWEVER they are extremely unsightly!

Currently I have not been able to get an answer on how to get rid of these apart from redoing the whole aquarium or the use of fish (but this is a shrimp only tank).

Any help would be much appreciated on the matter. Here I have attached a photo that someone on a forum has posted which look the same (the little white things) as what I currently have in my tank. There is literally hundreds in my tank already and I only noticed them today!

Kind Regards

Adam

Water Fleas.jpg

2. chiangstar

chiangstar Aspiring Aquascaper

Wow... that's pretty gross! haha sorry

So fish eat them? Why don't you just throw a couple of small shrimp-friendly fish in there and see if they do the job? Then take them out when the fleas are gone

Cheers

Simon

3. Kcraven

Fish can somewhat control them however it isn't a definite way of getting rid of them.

4. Kcraven

So can anyone give me any advice on how to rid these ?

5. chiangstar

chiangstar Aspiring Aquascaper

As far as I know, the things that usually kill these fleas generally are not good for your plants or shrimp.

If it were me, I would try the least invasive method first, which, to me would be to put some shrimp-friendly fish in there, see if they do the job and then remove them. If that doesn't work, investigate other methods.

Just my 2 cents

Cheers

Simon

6. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

Is this what you have?

If you have a Vet/LFS in your area ask if they have a Microscope to check them out and try to establish what they are.

You could syphon them out easily but if they have laid eggs you have to remove them as well.

Keith:):)

7. Kcraven

Thanks guys. After more research it seems that there isn't a way to get rid of them just to try and control them. Might have to get some fish and use some cucumber to lure them out.

Thanks again!

8. peable

peable New Member

I'm not an expert here, you can try guppies. If i were you, i could only think of adding solution to kill them but before that, those shrimps has to move to container 1(partial water from existing tank plus new water or just the existing tank water itself) and plants remove to container 2 for quarantine (new water).
    I hate critters that can't be get rid of, just like bed bugs .... urrggh:mad:

9. Kcraven

Yeah I think what I am going to have to do is get some small mouthed fish such as endler guppies and some moss pads so that my smaller shrimp can hide

peable likes this.
  10. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Kcraven

Buy the male endler/guppies only no fry that way.

At least you can try a lot safer than using chemicals.

A good old deep vac would not hurt either.

Keith:):)

peable likes this.
  11. Kcraven

Yeah will prob give it a good going over this weekend however I am running fluvual shrimp substrate. Can i vac it ? Its densely planted also !

12. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

Daphnia will swim/float moving by little hops. Easy to identify. And will be eaten by fishes in "minutes" ;-)

If your critters are like big semolina grain, they may be ostracods. Not eaten so much by fishes but quite useful when it comes to eating dead plant bits or left-over food.

13. Kcraven

These are TINY and they swim and float! Sounds like Daphnia!