1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Wanna begin a Shrimp tank

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by Katie, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Katie

Katie New Member

Hi guys

I'm a newbee this is my first post.

I want to start a small shrimp tank of about 15-20 litres. I've got very little space to place the tank. right now. I'm not sure what I'm getting myself into. But just want to try. So what should I do how do I begin ? Can you give me any advice ?

2. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

You can't go too far wrong by buying one of the off the peg shrimp tanks from dennerle. If not then treat it as a normal fish tank with a canister filter and low levels of light planted with moss, maintained well it should thrive.

Advise will also depend on the shrimp you wish to keep, some may like temperatures lower than the average air temperature so might not be viable.

3. Katie

Katie New Member

I searched the internet and read a few articles about starting a shrimp tank.
    I bought a 18 litre tank 2nd hand tank with light and 2 fans in the hood, heater , thermometer, sponge filter, airline+airpump and substrate suitable for shrimp aquarium.

The person who sold me the tank told me to buy moss/plants. I agreed he gave me a ready driftwood from his aquarium with some leafy plant
    said it was something called pilia moss and 2 stones with some plastic mesh also with fire moss and a bunch of branches some plant called ANARCIS. The old leaves are falling off the plants n new roots are coming from the branches as well as new green leaves.

Cleaned the tank, added substrate, attached everything(airline,airpump, sponge filter) added tap water withPrime water conditioner .
    Its has been a week now. I already changed water half tank water 3 times.

Meanwhile waiting with my fingers crossed.

The person who sold me all this said I should wait for a month before adding any shrimp adviced to add 2 fish after 3 weeks and remove them just before I add the shrimps. Also said to add a snail or two to clean and move the substrate.

4. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

so far so good I must say! I would say start off with neocardina var 'red' aka red cherry shrimp! they are quite hardy and forgiving in nature in terms of water parameter alteration! Since this is going to your first shrimp tank RCS would be a good colony to start with. Though Anarcis is something I never heard off I guess he gave you Anubias. Pelia or any other moss is recommended for a shrimp tank as it will accumulate a lot of micro-organism in em' which your shrimp will graze upon happily! :) Plus welcome to ASW! nice to see another fellow Indian coming to the hobby..:) plus since your location says you are located in Mumbai you have a lot of good LFS in and around Andheri(E), Dadar. Scout up a bit..:)

5. Katie

Katie New Member

I checked proper names and got this plant Anacharis/Egeria densa.
    Moss aquired are Round Pelia/Subwrassertang, Fissidens Fontanus/Phoenix Moss- US Fissidens and
    Flame moss/Taxiphyllum sp.
    Meanwhile my aquarium is in cycle for 3 weeks.
    I changed a lot of water till now hope it is ready. I will be getting 1-2 fish and snail soon.
    I use tap water which passes thru a filter and minerals are added in the end, add prime water conditioner at the end. The plant anacharis lost most of its leaves in first 2 weeks later on sprouted new green leaves.
    I fished out the dead leaves with a fish net. I hope to upload pictures soon.