1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Wabi-Kusa Aquascaping Style

Discussion in 'AquaScaping World Magazine Discussions' started by John N., Sep 17, 2008.

1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Please discuss Steven Chong's article, Wabi-Kusi Aquascaping Style here.

[​IMG]

-John N.

2. Jdinh04

Jdinh04 New Member

I really enjoyed reading this article, its something new and interesting to try out. When I get the chance, I'll definitely try to find a nice size tank to attempt to create a wabi-kusa style creation.

3. Alchemik

Alchemik New Member

When I first saw Wabi-Kusa I fall in love of it. I buy suitable aquarium and building something like ADA Solar Mini.
    But I have problem what kind of plants I should use to my Wabi-Kusa?
    Should it be covered to extend humidity? If not what should I do to extend wetness?

4. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

Most aquatic plants work well for WK, so I recomend that you just go and try some. Most stemplants work fine, especially the biggerleafed sp.

5. Robert Hudson

Robert Hudson ASW Sponsor

So wabi kusa is a product, not a style? Can you make your own "ball" instead of buying it from ADA? Is the name Wabi kusa owned by Amano?

6. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

No its a style - Just take a ball of mud, cover with moss and tie some string around it and stick some plants in it. Place it in a bowl, ad water and - WK

7. mr. luke

mr. luke New Member

Glosso works well as a wk plant :)
    as doesns pogostemon helferi,
    not read the article though :(

8. Robert Hudson

Robert Hudson ASW Sponsor

I don't remember exactly what Steve said, but he made it sound like it was a product and ADA gave it this name.

I'm thinking of trying to make something like this for submersed plants in an aquarium. Something that you can just drop into your substrate all ready to go.

9. Steven Chong

Steven Chong Aspiring Aquascaper

It is a product, and I'm sorry this response is ridiculously late, and that I never got around to sending my photos from Japan in for the article. >.<

If you go to just about ANY frequented pet shop in Japan, you can buy these balls of weeds, sometimes displayed in insane variety, for about 2400 yen (~24 US$). I know it's hefty, but after seeing how easy these things are to use (no water cloudiness! o_O), and how annoying it would be to make your own (buying plants, tying them to some weight and nutrient source, etc), if I was a beginner aquascaper in Japan, I'd definitely give it a shot. Unfortunately, this is one ADA product that doesn't seem like it'd have an easy time reaching elsewhere.

Perhaps it's time ADG set up a nursery for Wabi-kusa? :D

edit: Robert, that sounds fantastic. :D

10. WabiKasuH20Fall

WabiKasuH20Fall Aspiring Aquascaper

I just ordered the ADA DoAqua 120 tank last month and its due in at the End of April I am very excited for its arrival and have been planning the scape and collecting plants and mosses. The lighting will be the most challenging I think. I plan to use Akadama double red line fin for the substrate mixed with some diatmatious earth. I plan to populate the tank with inverts only in the bottom area.