1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Vintage's ADA 45-F

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Vintage, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Are my plants going to suffer without po4 for the first few weeks while my tank is cycling? Or can I add fish immediately?

Sponsored link:

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

what substrate do you have? if you are using aquasoil then definitely not. ADA's first step fertilizer is primarily K+ because the aquasoil releases so much P and N.

3. Vintage

Vintage New Member

I am using flora max, which is similar to eco-complete.

4. ShadowMac

In the beginning the plants usually are adjusting to their new conditions and not growing too quickly. I'm not sure if flora max has any N,P,or K. So you may want to consider dosing after the first week on a regular schedule. The back of the substrate may have list the compounds that are in it, but I have a feeling it is just a list of trace minerals. Without fauna you may want to dose a little PO4, if not things should be fine til it cycles and you get some fish in there.

5. Vintage

Vintage New Member

My water has cleared up so I will take pictures tonight.
    My diy co2 is putting out 1 bubble every five seconds, and I am dosing 0.4 ml of Excel daily.
    Does this sound adequate for HC?
    I am dosing half of EI but I can bump it up to full if I need to.

6. ShadowMac

HC can be tough, so it will be a wait and see type of thing. I have never tried HC without pressurized CO2. bubble per second really doesn't give us an idea of how much CO2 you have in your tank. Bubble size varies, dissolved rates, distribution, etc are all different in different tanks. A drop checker could help give you a rough idea, a pH measure at various points throughout the day would also give another rough idea. We would need a kH measurement as well. Although the kH, pH CO2 chart isn't the greatest either. CO2 is tough to measure.

If you are successful in growing HC well with DIY CO2 I, and others, would be interested in hearing about it. Good luck!

7. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Just added 3 Cherry barbs to the tank. I'm planning on adding 2 more in a week or so. Still haven't had a chance to take photos, sorry.

8. Vintage

Vintage New Member

I took a pretty low quality picture of the tank, I will update with better ones tonight, sorry.
    [​IMG]

9. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Any critiques of my scape?

10. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

right side looks good, but the left is distracting.
    the stones are too big and too close the glass.
    maybe it will look better when grown in ..

11. Vintage

Vintage New Member

I hope so too, it looks better in person, hopefully I can have more success with pictures in the future.

12. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Little update-
    -removed cherry barbs (going to look for a smaller fish)
    -added an Oto (hopefully he will take care of diatoms and green algae on glass)
    -plan to replace HC on upper sections with dwarf hair grass. (add more interest and more contrast between two sections)

13. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Added DHG :)

14. douten

douten New Member

Thanks for sharing, it's coming along great! I am planning to get a 45-F as well and am glad to see you're able to share your landscape as I was beginning to worry it might be too shallow to do anything with. I might just borrow a few idea :-" Keep updating :)

15. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Thanks! I would love to see what others do with this tank. I'm surprised I haven't seen more around, they have great dimensions, and look much bigger than just 4 gallons.

16. ruson

ruson New Member

I think its a nice scape, since you are asking a lot of difficult questions about how to get your tank green I think you will succeed nicely! Like the hardscape!

17. ruson

ruson New Member

Btw ShadowMac,

we use Glass diffusers with DIY CO2 and it works for 3 to 4 weeks max. If you tweak your sacharose solution to dissolve the sugar at a steady rate( by mimicing some brands as Dennerle Bio reactors) the yeast will have a steady import of sugars. Both in 35 L tanks and 240 L tanks this provides us with sufficient amounts of CO2. The Hc loves it. And we havent started adding NPK yet. We are looking for a medical drip set to customize, luckily my aquabuddy works with elderly people so the drip sets are on the ordering list.. :) cant wait!

18. douten

douten New Member

Hi vintage~ not to hijack the threat, but :-"
    I'm really not sure if 45-f will be enough space for a shrimp tank. Since this is my first aquarium as well I've been looking at 60-f, but it's rather too big. Do you feel it's adequate enough for perhaps a 8-12 or so shrimps?

btw how many liter of soil is that?

19. Vintage

Vintage New Member

This is my first aquarium ever, so I have no idea on the need of shrimp. I'm sure some of the experts on this forum would have some good answers for you. Oh, and I used a bag of Floramax soil, it's made by Carib-sea. I just got a bag-still have a lot left over.

20. Vintage

Vintage New Member

I just noticed I haven't updated this thread in awhile! I have a couple others going on different forums, but I guess I forgot to do this one, sorry guys! Anyways here are shots from last week

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]