1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Vintage's ADA 45-F

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Vintage, Jan 12, 2012.

1. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Hello all,
    I am starting my first aquarium, and ADA 45-f. I have had no experience in planted tanks prior, or any type of aquarium for that matter, but I am proud to say that I am starting out right. I've done my research, I believe I bought all the right equipment, I have an image of what I want this tank to look like, and I am confident I will be able to achieve it.

Here are the specs-
    Aquarium- ADA 45-F
    Lighting- Custom LEDs (4-3w CW Crees, run for 10 hrs a day)
    Ferts- DIY (NPK & Trace)
    Co2- DIY
    Plants- I haven't gotten them yet, planning on HC and Rotala Rotundifolia
    Fauna- Small school of tetra (haven't decided what kind yet) Couple Oto's, maybe Cherry shrimp down the road.

I promise I'll take pictures later today, but I have a couple questions in the meantime
    -Is a 2 liter bottle of DIY Co2 too much?
    -Any recommendations on mixing ferts?
    -How high above the tank should I hang my light? (right now its about 6" off, and it looks pretty good, is this about right?)

Thanks all,
    Hayden

Sponsored link:

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Hi,
    nice to tank you start with :proud:
    -2 Liter bottle is for DIY Co2 is fine
    -go for Estimative Index
    -6" should be ok

3. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Ok thanks I'll take your advice.

4. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Pictures-

My First FTS 8)
    [​IMG]

Behind the rock "cliff" If plan to have a neatly trimmed garden of Rotala Rotundifolia, and for the rest I want an open area of HC. Maybe Riccia Fluitans at the base of the rocks.

Details of the Rocks-
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ADA seams are excellent
    [​IMG]

Any advice or criticism on the hardscape would be appreciated. I beleive it doesn't stand on it's own very well, but will look much better with the addition of plants.

Thanks,
    Hayden

5. BJRuttenberg

BJRuttenberg New Member

IMHO estimative index is going to give you a crazy algae problem if you're only doing DIY co2. If you have fish and other animals in the tank and a nutrient rich substrate I would only dose micro frets. If you can, get a bottle of sachem flourish and put a milliliter in about 2-3 times a week. And stay on top of the weekly water changes.

Re hardscape I would move the small cluster of stones slightly to the left, about a third of the way in. Othewise I really like it. Are you dong an Iwagumi layout?

6. Vintage

Vintage New Member

The tank is so small (4.6 gallons) that I expected the DIY Co2 to be enough, is that not true? As for the hardscape, I was trying to make a cliff, so the Rotala would make a sort of forest above, with the HC making an open "feild" below. I hope that makes sense.

7. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Does anybody else have any input on Dosing methods or my hardscape?
    Any advice would be appreciated.

8. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

nutrients do not cause algae, poor plant growth, too much light and/or poor CO2 cause algae. Your DIY Co2 will fluctuate and will not give you stable CO2 for long, so EI might be a bit rich for your needs. you could still dose on the EI schedule, but cut that dose in by a third. Check out the thread with a link to WET's dosing calc.

DIY CO2 relies on the yeast production of CO2 through fermentation...as the byproduct concentration, alcohol, increases the productivity of the yeast will decrease. I suggest using champagne yeast as it has a higher alcohol tolerance. An efficient diffusion method will be important. Some type of reactor that will ensure all the CO2 is dissolved might be the best bet. Look on you tube and around here for ways people disperse their DIY CO2.

Really, with the small tank and no pressurized CO2 you could just dose Seachem flourish and excel. I think that would be adequate.

9. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Crap! I wish I would have known this before I bought my dry ferts. I don't even have money to buy plants right now, so I don't think I can switch dosing paths. Any way I can make this work?

10. ShadowMac

just dose a third of the EI dose for your tank size. scale back...it should work fine. You just won't need a full EI dose. it won't hurt if you use a full dose either.

I bet you could get away without dosing PO4.

Maybe make an all in one solution with micros and KNO3. Your critters and food could provide enough PO4 for that tank.

Use Wet's calculator to make your solution: Yet Another Nutrient Calculator

11. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Ok just to be clear. On websites I see they prescribe 1/8 tsp KNO3, 1/32 tsp, KH2PO4 1/32 tsp TNC Trace (CSM+B) for a 10-20 gallon tank. should I cut this by half or by six? Sorry I'm very confused about this.

12. Vintage

Vintage New Member

So, one last question. so sorry. What would be better, DIY Co2, or some Liquid Co2, such as flourish Excel?

13. ShadowMac

use both, DIY and excel. they are not equivalent.

just use wets calculator, it does the math for you. i provided a link.

half would give you roughly the EI dosing for your sized tank, however EI provides nutrients in excess and since your tank will be lowlight and DIY CO2 you will not be needing as many nutrients as say a tank with pressurized Co2 and higher lighting which has a lot of stems. You could do with less, so a 6th might bring you into a range more relative to your tank and system.

seriously, just use the calculator...

14. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Im sorry Im probably just being stupid but I dont understand the calculator, it gives results in grams, and I dont know how to dose grams. Also my lighting is very high- 4 3w Cree LEDs.

15. ShadowMac

If your lighting is very high you may be asking for trouble with DIY CO2, I haven't done DIY in a small tank like that, but I know DIY to be inconsistent and unreliable. Unstable CO2 levels and high light can cause algae.

I would just have another solution of DIY mix ready to go to switch out often, so you don't run low on CO2.

For grams you can use a scale from a store like walmart or target. A food scale. These will provide grams to the nearest tenth of a gram. They are not accurate beyond that.

You can dose EI, just cut down the 10-20 gallon dose by 50%.

16. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Thanks shadowmac for all your help. More and more I am realizing how superior pressurized co2 is to DIY. I think I might wait a little longer, and save up a little more so I can do this right the first time.
    Thanks,
    Hayden

17. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Finally got my tank planted! the hardscape is a bit different, and I only used HC, but I like the outcome. My planting was done poorly, as it is my first time, but it should work. Anyways, I'll add pictures when the water clears up. Boxing

18. ShadowMac

learn by doing...its the only way to get the experience. Its okay if you mess up or it doesn't work..the next one will be better than the last. That has been my experience at least.

19. Vintage

Vintage New Member

Yes exactly! Since I am only dosing KNO3 and Micros at 1/2 the EI Dosing, don't I need to add fish to provide P04?

20. ShadowMac

yes your PO4 would come from fish you add. You may consider some small doses of PO4 if you stock lightly