1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Video of Tiny DIY Co2 Reactor

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by bsnyder921, Feb 26, 2011.

1. bsnyder921

bsnyder921 New Member

Hi all,

A few weeks ago I decided that the bubble ladder I had in place for my DIY Co2 wasn't making good enough use of my Co2. After searching around online for other Co2 reactors, I came across this article.

In a nutshell, it provides instructions on how to take a very small underwater filter, and modify it so that you can connect your Co2 tubing to it, and then use the filter to break the big Co2 bubbles into a fine spray of small bubbles. I just completed the project myself and posted a video of the process. Check it out and let me know what you think!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=liuXWQcJCcU]YouTube - DIY Cheap Co2 Reactor / Diffuser for Planted Aquarium[/ame]

While I was shooting the video I also took a closeup of my albino bristlenose pleco. :)

[​IMG]

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

nice guide, thanks for sharing :proud:
    I think this will help people new to aquascaping to improve the way they dissolve co2 in their tanks

3. okayplayer

okayplayer New Member

thanks for sharing !

4. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

nice work! much better than my airstone bubbling into a koralia nano when I did my DIY, I think. Thanks for sharing.

I have seen some DIY's where the impeller blades were cut in half to double the number of blades in similar setups. chops the bubbles up, but the sponge seems to do that well.

5. wearsbunnyslippers

wearsbunnyslippers New Member

i use this, it is fantastic!

6. vanscheck

vanscheck New Member

i've done this to my ELITE filter. it was just in the closet i ahd to try this. and it works great but just for helping out the whole idea of this design. i drilled a hole under the filter part,since it snaps in two (motor bit and filter bit) leave the filter but turn it around cause it has a hole and stick the tubing in there. bubbles come out small plus they're blown around the tank! i'll post a videos of it maybe

Attached Files:

• co2.jpg
      co2.jpg
      File size:
      91.4 KB
      Views:
  7. bsnyder921

bsnyder921 New Member

@Vanscheck - thanks for the post. I may have to try your idea. It's funny that you posted about this, because for about the last week I've had a heck of time with this filter. Basically, it's really noisy. It sounds like the little green wheel that spins (and circulates the water) is grinding against something, but I can't figure out what.

I tried taking the Co2 line out and that seemed to fix the problem - but I don't know why I'm hearing the noise now when I wasn't hearing it for the first couple of weeks that I had it running.

Since it's only a $10 filter, I may just forget about it and try another DIY Co2 diffusion method. Anyone have any ideas?

8. vanscheck

vanscheck New Member

i also got a noise problem with ''your design'' at full blast but when i configured it the noise disappeared almost but since your feeding it air makes a little hum. the hum is so minimal, it's almost silent.

9. grafxpro

grafxpro New Member

Nice idea, thanks

10. wearsbunnyslippers

i added an airstone to mine so that it is not one large bubble entering the impeller at a time, this has mad it super quiet..

11. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

Just to clarify, you used bsynder's original design, but you have an airstone attached to the end of the CO2 tube located in the bottom half of the filter? Did you completely remove the sponge altogether? Or is the sponge attached to the outlet/sprayer as in the original design? Thanks.

I like this idea and I think I might try it since all I have no is just an airstone at the end of my DIY CO2 setup.

12. vanscheck

vanscheck New Member

i've been using DIY CO2 and this diffuser and my anubias are producing leaves like crazy!!! and my egeria densa is so long its like a jungle.

13. wearsbunnyslippers

@dabrits - i am using the sponge on the outlet, so yeah, i have the airstone attached to the end of the tube inside the bottom half of the filter.

i used the smallest airstone i could find...

14. Dabrits

Dabrits New Member

Thanks bunny