1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

VERY new to aquascaping - please offer advice!

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by younggm, Mar 26, 2013.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

younggm

I certainly like that old tree, I would like you to consider cutting that over hanging piece back to the red line.

It is the only branch going in that direction and in my opinion rather distracting.

You might be able to use it under the tree as if it has fallen off (Just an idea)

The Red underneath the tree trunk is a piece of slate screwed only using high quality Stainless Steel screws.

With the weight of the rocks and substrate it will never move then.

Keith:):)

Sponsored link:

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I want to caution you on placing moss over the very tips of branches. That was my very first aquascaping mistake in design. What you most likely end up with is Dr. Seuss's lorax trees not something that looks good. As told to me years ago by our friend Tom Barr aka plantbrain. He was completely right.

I tried to find the old pics or some links, but they have all gone. The moss you have in your pic is what I used. It is nice, but gets clumpy and frags everywhere. If you are going low tech I suggest placing some anubias nana petite at the parts of the branches where it "V's" along with some moss instead of the tree look with moss at the tips. It is your scape however, so do what you like best.

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  3. younggm

younggm New Member

Hey guys!

So after finishing my classes for the school year and traveling a bit, I am finally ready to continue my aquascape! I sold my 48 gallon corner tank and am picking up a 90 gallon corner tank TODAY! I have purchased and received the driftwood shown in my last picture. I am almost ready to start putting all my ideas into action!

-Does anyone have any advice on what type of lighting I should get for my tank?
    -I am considering a CO2 system, although I have no experience with it..... any advice?
    --How much to CO2 systems cost?

4. nick.scott

nick.scott Aspiring Aquascaper

Co2 systems can be relatively cheap, I got a 5lb tank off the internet for $50, a regulator and solenoid for around $90. Then you need a check valve, bubble counter, and diffuser system. Then you need to find a welding shop / fish store that will refill/swap your co2 tank (which should be pretty cheap, around $10)

http://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-Instruments-Solenoid-Regulator-Counter/dp/B001DTNWF2
    http://www.amazon.com/CO2-Tank-Alum...73076213&sr=1-1-catcorr&keywords=5lb+co2+tank

so, there you go!

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  5. younggm

younggm New Member

Hey guys,

I want to use a white background for my aquarium aquascape with lights behind it to create a gradient as seen in many aquascape backgrounds. Have any of you done this before? I need to know the best way to make the background white. Please let me know ASAP because I need to get this going!

6. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

you can get a frosted glass film from your local hardware store and apply to the back of your tank. Then use a simple T5 or other tube light at the base rear of the tank facing upwards. Most scapers only use this as a temporary effect when taking pictures and do not have the rear lighted all the time. The added light could be a complication and light coming from the bottom of a tank may be confusing to plants...

ghostmonk likes this.