1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

veil tail goldfish in a 55 gal tank...how many?

Discussion in 'Fish' started by randy0319, Oct 9, 2012.

1. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

I purchased a 55 gal tank from a friend who didn't want it anymore. After seeing 'Goldie haven' I thought that it would be perfect for these amazing types of fish. I am cycling it at the moment but while doing research I have been getting mixed information on how many of these egg shaped fish I can have in the tank with out over stocking it. Veil tails are the name for the fin of any of the fancy breeds of goldfish. There are veil tailed Moors, Ryukins, Tuskins, Oranda, etc. Mostly these voluptuous breeds are slow moving, affectionate, long lived, and can achieve lengths of eight(ish) inches (including tail-which is usually half their body length).

I hope that some expert in goldies can give me information on how many fish I can have in the 55 gal with plants.
    Plants include needle leaf Java, Anubias, Crypts, Vals, Swords, and normal Java fern. These plants are not tastey to goldies. I will take pictures of the tank when all is set and fish are established and healthy in their new home. The pictures below are what I am hoping to stock the tank with.
    So ... input??, Answers? Advice?

Veiltailsrtrtrhgr.jpg

VeiltailGoldfish_CarassiusAuratusWFG_AcF213.jpg

729px-VeiltailFancyGoldfishAndrewsbkRosenzweig.jpg

veiltail.jpg

vt veiltail goldfish 1.jpg

veiltail-goldfish-4.gif

vt Veiltail goldfish 3.jpg

in_pets_26079_1.jpg

These are the 'Drag Queens' of the domesticated fish world. They are beautiful !! I must have them! These are like 'pin-up/girly posters' for fish lovers to pin on the walls in their bedrooms. ...Ya, I know...I need therapy.

2. renzotobias

renzotobias New Member

3. randy0319

Thanks! Great info...some posts said "up to 12" for my tank specs. I will error on the side of caution- 4 it shall be.

4. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Have to agree with renzotobias, top end should really be 4, big messy fish are goldfish. My gut says 5 tops but I'd still be thinking of running a sump or something like an fx5 knowing just how messy they are. Skimming some ultra high end Goldie forums 3 to 4 appears bang on the money. With more tank size being better.

5. randy0319

My 55 gal is my largest water column and I have a few bristle nose plechos in to help out but I am buying a big cannister filter plus I already have a big HOB filter. Weekly water changes will be manditory but I do that anyway with all of the other tanks so this will be just one more to do. I'm also thinking about using those ammonia absorbing pellets in a net baggy to keep levels down. What do you all think?? I am sticking with three, maybe four but hopefully bought small from that place in Hawaii. RainGarden nursery/fish farm on the big Island is the only breeder of these fancy fish and his youtube videos of them are stunning. I agree- if I had room for a sump I would install one but I am maxed out on room. Thank the man who invented the Python aqua-sucking/aquarium cleaning system. Also thanks for the advice. More input is always welcome.

Also, I have made wabi-kusa balls of all rooted plants to keep them in place. The Java ferns are tied to rounded wood and no pokey bits in ht tank. I hope that the plants can help absorb what the fish will be excreting. If you folks know of other plants that I can add to help with that issue-and not get eaten by the cute little buggers then I'm all ears...and fins...