1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Vacuming a planted tank?

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by uiyuwea, Oct 15, 2011.

1. uiyuwea

uiyuwea New Member

I am going to plant some plants in my tank after I move next week and was wandering how you can vacume a planted tank without disturbing the plants. This is my biggest concern in planting real plants.

Thanks

2. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Normally the whole soil/subtrate will be cover by plants, no need to do vacuming. I never vacum mine

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

uiyuwea

Its impossible to vacuum my Jebo 75cm tank.

The mulm breaks down and becomes food for the 100s of rooted plants (Crypts)

You can wave your hand over the plants to lift any surface muck up or use a net to do the same job.

Keith

4. Lafataa

Lafataa New Member

Only vacuum any big open areas. Stay 1-2 inches away from plants and don't go far into the substrate in open areas. If it's absolutely necessary that you vacuum carpet and foreground plants (big chunks in the water or questionable water quality due to bad cleaning habits), hold the vac no closer than 1 inch from the substrate. If the substrate moves, you're way too close. However, you shouldn't need to vac it too often except empty areas. Plants love all the gunk at the bottom.