1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Using Wood

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Hanna, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Hanna

Hanna New Member

I'm new to aquascaping and have not yet started my tank yet as I am gathering as much information as I can before starting and one of the things I'm really uncertain about is the use of wood in a tank.

The wood I want I can't seem to find as it's just straight up and down (a branch) except I need several. I've read that you shouldn't use wood from say..your back yard, that it's best to just buy it, but as I stated I want a specific kind of wood.
    I've also read that you have to boil it, but if that's true for how long do I boil it and with just water?

http://www.pinterest.com/pin/251497960416614407/ <--- This is what I've got my mind set on making and this is the type of wood I would like to use.
    Also, can anyone tell me what plants are being used here or what would come close? I just need general ideas.

Thanks so much.

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Hanna welcome to ASW can you fill in your Country and location in your profile please.

Any wood that is collected home or locally can you be 110% positive there is no nasties in the wood.

Boiling wood all that does is break down the outer surface of the wood and kill any nasties on the outer surfaces of the wood.

The safest place to get any wood is your LFS.

Keith:):)

3. Hanna

Hanna New Member

Generally the majority of the wood I find is found in my back yard, which is all wooded area, but I am pretty certain that there have never been any chemicals or anything such as this, used in those woods.

Sorry if this sounds stupid, but what is LFS?

Haha, thanks for any help in advance.

4. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

LFS = local fish shop :)

The reason for not using 'any wood' in your aquarium is not so much to do with chemicals and more to do with what is naturally in woods that will leech into the water and harm inhabitants. Sap etc. There are certain woods that can be used in the aquarium but only once they are thoroughly dried out but most woods will just rot in your tank.

There is a lot of Manzanita around in the US so maybe a US member could point you in the right direction as shipping shouldn't be too much of a problem.

Andy

Last edited: Dec 5, 2014
    keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

6. Hanna

Hanna New Member

I appreciate the help/advice/information.

Guess this will be an unlikely thing to happen for my a'scape then as I would really like a bunch of straight branches for this project.

Back to the drawing board I guess.

keithgh likes this.
  7. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Hanna

That sounds like very good advice you have given your self.

Keith:):)

greenfinger 2 likes this.