1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

US aquatic plants store

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by portugal795, Mar 15, 2012.

1. portugal795

portugal795 New Member

Hi everybody,

I am thinking about starting my first full aquascape because of how intrigued i am from looking at the variety of aquascapes and how beautiful they are. I am 16 and have been taking care of an aquarium since i was 10 with full responsibility of it. I have lots of places i can get wood and have a good idea of what type of substrate i want.

My main question is, can anyone list some good and reliable online stores in the United States that sell a variety of aquatic plants you have purchased from? It would be a great help to me.

Thanks! o:)

2. onefang

onefang New Member

Only one I can think of that I'd actually trust to get me decent plants is GLA:
    Aquarium Plants | Green Leaf Aquariums

You'll get a lot of good stuff off of fellow hobbyists too, but if you are looking for the online pick and choose experience that's the only place I'd go.

3. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

You can't go wrong with Orlando at GLA, but in case he doesn't have what you are looking for here are some other places:

Aqua Forest Aquarium, ADA USA, Aqua Design Amano The only difference is that AFA has a huge selection of mosses, which are hard to find in the states.

I've had good luck on aquabid for various plants some usernames I've purchased from are Chambers, Volitan, and snail_chen. I was happy with what I got. Volitan doesn't tend to send a large amount of plant however, so keep that in mind. He tells you what you get and it is usually a few stems for a few bucks.

If you are interested in bad experiences I will let you know via PM only.

4. bsnyder921

bsnyder921 New Member

I haven't ever bought plants from GLA, but I've bought plenty of other stuff from them (him) and it's amazing. Just the quality in the packaging alone is amazing. If you know what the difference is between a Mac and say, an HP is... that's sort of the difference between GLA and any other store. GLA's stuff is top, top quality, and so much care is put into both the product and the packaging.

I'd also recommend GLA for fertilizers, CO2 diffusers, and other CO2 equipment, including their line of regulators. Excellent quality, I can't say enough good things about them.

On a side note, if you have a couple of decent non-chain LFS, don't forget about them. The big ones like Petsmart only get the plants that they get.. they can't order anything special for you. However, my LFS orders its plants directly from an aquatic nursery, and they can usually order me anything I want. It's not cheap, but it's certainly a lot cheaper than ordering online.. because ordering online requires having to pay for express shipping, heating packets, etc. You can buy a few clumps of java moss and suddenly find yourself at checkout paying $50 or more.

So good luck - and please share your experiences with us.

5. portugal795

portugal795 New Member

Okay thanks so much for the help everybody! Especially all the recommendations and advice.

When I finally get this aquascape started then i will definitely start a journal and post it for everyone to view. GLA and AFA look like great places to buy plants from and i will also keep my LFS in mind because he possibly may be able to order plants for me.

I am probably already going to buy my ferts, CO2 system, and any other materials i need from GLA.

Thanks!

6. bsnyder921

bsnyder921 New Member

Glad to hear it. You won't be disappointed ordering from GLA. When I was looking to buy a CO2 regulator / diffuser, I looked around at different places. I kept coming back to the $99 Milwaukee regulator on Amazon.. and wondering, how bad can it be for just $90 when GLA's model that I wanted was nearly $300? Well, I never tried the Milwaukee regulator, but I'm glad I didn't. I also read that some people have the skills needed to build their own regulator from different parts. I'm not that talented or knowledable with regulator building, so that wasn't an option for me. The regulator I got from GLA (the Ultimate regulator for $279) is awesome. It seems to be very well built, and it arrived quickly and extremely well packaged.

The ferts I got from GLA were also well packaged. Again, can't speak highly enough of GLA!

7. portugal795

portugal795 New Member

Thanks for all the information bsnyder! It's helpful to know how reliable GLA is. I am definitely going to get a pressurized CO2 system eventually and most likely from GLA, but all dependent on time and money; considering i am only 16 and only work a friday and saturday night job at a restaurant. It's hard enough just to let my mom get a new tank in the first place -__- hahah

In due time, it will all happen eventually

8. bsnyder921

bsnyder921 New Member

I'm impressed. You're only 16? When I was 16 I had a tank with pea gravel, fake rocks, and I couldn't keep anything growing and alive in my tank. Sounds like you have a lot of patience, as well. That's great to have in this hobby, especially if you have a limited budget. I firmly believe that it's far, far better to wait & save for something good than to hurry up and buy a piece of crap.

If you can't buy CO2 equipment from GLA now, just go with a DIY setup until you can (yeast & water in a bottle.. if you need help with that let me know, I did it for years!).

Best of luck!
    -Brian

9. portugal795

portugal795 New Member

Thanks! I think i am going to just go with the yeast in a bottle as long as i can until i setup a CO2 system. Thanks for offering help because i most likely will need it when i get it all set up hahah

I've learned through trial and error that patience is definitely a virtue. No matter what it may be for, especially this hobby.

Thanks!