1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Update

Discussion in 'Shrimp and Invertz' started by bowman, Jun 4, 2012.

1. bowman

bowman New Member

So after several small water changes, I still continue to lose shrimp. Just one by one at this point. Its just a wait and see with who lives. Water testing fine, took it up to a store too and they said my ranges are good so I just have to ride this out I guess. One of the shrimp had babies and that makes me happy but im nervous they wont make it.
    I feed them the stuff rec by the place I got the shrimp from. Are there supplements im supposed to be doing too?
    Again, fish are perfect and during all this I havent lost a one. Here I sit............waiting........dreading looking at this damn tank ive poured a lot of love now tears into.

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

A single comprehensive food source should be all they need. I've fed any number of brands of shrimp food and never noticed any issues relative to poor nutrition. Remember shrimp are scavengers and do not need all that much food. They naturally eat the bioprotien layers off of surfaces (you know, that gross film stuff).

3. bowman

bowman New Member

thanks. thats pretty much been my routine. On a side note my water seems a lil cloudy. Any ideas what I can use considering my shrimp issue?

4. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Purigen. It could be an algal bloom it could be a bacterial bloom, either way ammonia is the base cause, maybe strip and clean everything and work from there? It is indeed a very strange situation you're in, I can easily understand why you're desperate to find the cause and the cure to your problems.

5. bowman

bowman New Member

when you say strip and clean everything like not to sound stupid here but you mean my rocks and my mock tree? Would be impossible to clean my gravel given the plants.
    Ill look up purigen, thanks for the info!

6. Garuf

...Mock tree? Where did the wood come from might I ask? I'm thinking everything, give everything a good clean. I've always worked on the notion of "if in doubt take it out" when it comes to this sort of thing be it a water change or a cleaning spree.

7. bowman

bowman New Member

my mock tree is a resin lookin tree stump that i got in a fish store. Been in there when i started the tank.

8. Garuf

Ahhh, some reptile wood in the uk is treated with copper to kill fungus and ultimately ends up wiping out tanks, if it's been in there since the start though that rules that out. Did the water board get back to you on what was going on? Is there a LFS that sells RO water if so it might be worth using that as a stop gap and seeing if it makes much difference?

9. bowman

bowman New Member

when i started this i was afraid of real tree pieces for a lot of those types of reasons. I am looking at water options as mentioned above in the thread - for the future. Water co did get back to me, there was a problems with run off while a chemical fire was being handled near water source. Very very ticked off but all I can do at this point is focus on getting back on track

10. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

With the chemical contamination still lurking, purigen is the way to polish the water, plus i would also say add a bit of activated carbon/charcoal to the filtration system if you don't have any, this will absorb any chemical if still there in the water (I would keep changing the carbon content every 7 days for this month just as a precaution) also if you don't have any CO2 injection going in I would recommend using a airstone for a few weeks to bubble out any fume deposition which is happening by any chance. Really sorry for the loss, man! loosing a pet is like loosing a family member I can feel your pain.

11. bowman

bowman New Member

airstone been in and going. The purigen kinda scares me, its says its toxic if used with certain slime coats. I used an api stress coat very rec because of all this crap. I do have carbon in there now so thats good. No dead shrimp today, thats a first. Thanks for all the help