1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

update on my rearange from wood to rock.

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by jasonperry, Sep 1, 2012.

1. jasonperry

jasonperry Aspiring Aquascaper

P010912_10.55.jpg

Attached Files:

Sponsored link:

2. jasonperry

just got the scape almost how i want it but!
    really want some carpeting grass that will grow nice in front of the rocks obviously the tank is mid tech for those that have been following me an helping and yes ill be high tech soon!! ha ha i have holidays coming up :) so be after summer garuf :) :) and dose any know any site to perchess plants from that are good because my local aquatics never have the stuff i really wont would appreciate feed bak thax guys :)

3. Stickling100

Stickling100 Aspiring Aquascaper

Where abouts in the uk are you?

I have been to nearly every aquatics shop in a 25 mile radius from my house searching for places to buy plants, the places that do sell a good variety are keeping plants in such bad conditions you wouldn't want to take them home! I have a place up the road that sells loads of species but you have to catch them when they have just had a delivery, if I leave it a few days the plants are melting and covered in algee and they still want full price for them!

I have recenlty purchased from Ebay and had some really healthy plants!!

4. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Aquaessentials are the best mail order for the money, TGM are good but so very expensive so only worth buying from if you can't get the same plant else where.
    Pets at home sporadically have plants in but don't expect to be able to stock a tank all in one go. Find out when they get their plant deliveries and go in on the day you can sometimes pick up bargains of not commonly available plants this way, don't think you'll be able to buy every plant you want because they just get boxes of random plants from Tropica.

With plants, if it seems too cheap it usually is and you'll get scammed. There are a few uk sellers who are very cheap that I have no idea how they're still in business they provide such poor plants and service.

Tank looks great Jason. You're really getting there. Just double check your dosing and co2, there's signs you might be po4 deficient and co2 deficient. As you a carpet, I'd wait till you've got a regulator, carpet plants are regarded as hard because they need lots of flow and lots of co2 to really thrive. Hairgrass would be a good one as it's the most forgiving otherwise wait it out till you're in a position to keep a high stable co2 otherwise money spent on carpeters will be money wasted when they melt.

5. jasonperry

im from liclonshier town of louth ..
    and thanks garuf wel as for co2 im getting pressurised soon.
    thanks for help in purchaseing for plants and yeah as for dosing im using that tpn+ but! had a slight issue with algea i dosed what u recomended but with me only having a diy co2 production it obviously isnt enough to fight the algea and supply the plants so i gunner leave the carpet for now then untill i go pressurised i think be better than wasting money :) as for dosing my ferts using tpn+ what would u recomend i have reduced it in daily dose too 2 drops a day instead of 2 ml and then put 4ml in weekly with water changes i still do what u recomended of around 30% with only having low mid lights so can u guide me again please or do u know any other good fertalizers that dosent cause algea problems is dosing :unsure: thank garuf if u could help be appreciated mate :) agin ha ha i only been getting algea since i started using tpn so i must be doing wrong or to much umm :unsure:

6. Garuf

Where you went wrong was cutting the ferts, low levels of ferts cause algae, not high levels. Just up your dosing. If you see algae, think "I don't have enough of something" not oh I must have too much!

7. jasonperry

ok thanks garuf ill bear that in mined bud :)

8. jasonperry

wel i have been keeping my dosing up now plants seem to have picked up again but i still got a bit of algea on the edges of the anubises leafes i know im not pressureised atm got a holiday this weekend so when i get bak ill be starting to look for the best prices on the regulater but in the mean time what will be the best salution to clear the algea growth would i intensifie my diy co2 mixture by adding another 2ltr bottel with another mixture to the current one to boost it a bit its just money tight atm and need a tempory fix for algea reducing if someone could help would be appreciated thanks:)

9. Garuf

Yes, adding another mix to the tank would be of benefit, keep an eye on the fish when you do and watch for any possible co2 toxisity, this is very unlikely but it's prudent to keep an eye on this with any change you make.

Anubias are one of those plants that seem to get algae more easily than most, I suspect down to their slow growing rate and po4 hunger.

As I said, bump up the co2, keep a close eye on things and see how it goes, bare in mind it takes longer for a poorly plant to get better and be able to take advantage of extra resources/ food than it does algaes and that leaves generally do not heal themselves.

Good luck, let us know if there's anything more we can help with.

This article should be your first call with algaes, it's certainly the most well researched and written:
    http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

is also a very well written resource but I'm not so sure on some of the points made.
    http://aquariumalgae.blogspot.co.uk/

10. Garuf

Yes, adding another mix to the tank would be of benefit, keep an eye on the fish when you do and watch for any possible co2 toxisity, this is very unlikely but it's prudent to keep an eye on this with any change you make.

Anubias are one of those plants that seem to get algae more easily than most, I suspect down to their slow growing rate and po4 hunger.

As I said, bump up the co2, keep a close eye on things and see how it goes, bare in mind it takes longer for a poorly plant to get better and be able to take advantage of extra resources/ food than it does algaes and that leaves generally do not heal themselves.

Good luck, let us know if there's anything more we can help with.

This article should be your first call with algaes, it's certainly the most well researched and written:
    http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

is also a very well written resource but I'm not so sure on some of the points made.
    http://aquariumalgae.blogspot.co.uk/

11. jasonperry

ok garuf thanks for the help and will let you know how things go would u recomend a drop checker to meassure the amount of co2 in the tank?

12. Garuf

Yeah, they're certainly useful for gauging just how much co2 is in the water while you learn how to watch for what the plants and fish are telling you. They're cheap enough and could be the difference between gassed fish and not but it's important to remember they're just a guide, some tanks need more co2, some less.

13. jasonperry

ok garuf well il get one and would u recomend if i put an extra bottel to my diy set up to run oxygen at night obviously plants dont absorb co2 at night? and when you sed earlyer in your post that i could be p04 phosphate deficient ummm what do you mean by that and how could i solve the issue ?

14. Garuf

Sorry, start again? Run oxygen at night? You've lost me.

Yes, adding another co2 mix will help till you get a reg and the like sorted.

po4, phosphate, increase the dose a bit or buy some dry ferts and dose it along side the TPN+, it could just be that they're deficient and the damaged leaves haven't been able to take up enough. The tanks not got major run away problems, it's a learning tank, don't stress anything, only bad things happen quickly after all.

15. Garuf

Have you started using one of those "flipper" diffusers? The glass diffuser you had before is a far better product for getting co2 into the water.

16. jasonperry

ok garuf thanks for help and im using the jbl cup type[​IMG]and i have re built my diy kit im using x3 1ltr bottels for the reaction chambers and a gas seperating bottel along side did it last night and its producing alot better and more constant today and as for the difusser i got this one as its easily cleand i really donnot trust using bleach i really un trust it even if its clean i just dont trust myself to do it so its a no no for me. so the difusser im using is not very good then ? and what i ment by running oxygen at night it can help by keeping oxygen levels high to prevent co2 from starving the fish of oxygen? because plant donot absorb co2 at night? i might be wrong but just using common sence in away :unsure:

17. jasonperry

if the diffuser i have isnot good enough what would be the best to go for? or would you recomend just getting another glass one?

18. Garuf

If you don't trust bleach Miltons cleaning solution is an idea, I'm afraid that those diffusers aren't great.

Where I'm lost is the oxygen thing. Do you mean an air pump? A lot of people run them over night but it's not strictly a must if you have good surface agitation. If you're running diy then yes it would be a benefit I suspect.

19. Garuf

20. jasonperry

ok garuf yeah i ment air pump sorry lol thats what i ment about oxygen and yeah i was looking at these last night and im gunner get one but for now untill i do will the one im using be ok ?or would you recomend fitting a little air stone on it untill it comes? i have noticed with the current one that ther is abit of co2 loss when the odd bubbels pop on the serface of the water is them little mist diffusers that look like an air stone any good then ?are they just as good as a glass one ?(the first one in the links you gave me)
    hey thainking about it since i have been using this diffuser not long after i have had algea growth umm new diffuser i thaink!