1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

update on my first scape. c02 and ferts change :)

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by jasonperry, Oct 13, 2012.

1. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

That's looking really nice Jason!
    In regards to the co2, I've been reading that the regulators from UP are the least problematic and are pretty good for the money. Personally I would say go for 2x 24 soley because it's almost impossible to find good quality tubes and ballasts in the lower, 14w, tube size.

Also with regardes to refilling and buying new, it largely depends, most places charge around £12 in my experience, sometimes you can pick up whole fire extinguishers from ebay for a lot lot less, I've paid a £1 each one in the past!

Anubias I believe flower underwater because they don't know they're submerged or something like that, I'll have to re-read K kasselmans book and get back to you.

Sponsored link:

2. jasonperry

jasonperry Aspiring Aquascaper

Ok garuf thanks alot its gettin there init and yeah il have another look for lighting like ya say c02 is most important ill try look for a 2
    bulb. Wich is best t5 or T8 as for planted? Dose t5 have stronger spikes as in water penatration Thanks alot for imput regards jason.?

3. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Depends on your goals really, ultimately they're basically identical, the main difference being that t5's a lot more efficient so they pack a lot more par per tube, you'll get a lot more light from 2xt5 than you will 2xt8s but this also means you will have to be REALLY on the ball with your co2 and the tank is on more of a knife edge. I personally would go for t5's if they're being hung because then you have the best possible control you could have being able to raise them to find the sweet spot where growth is the speed you want and you're not getting issues, like I say though, they're both essentially identical but you'll probably need 3xt8 to match the out put of 2xt5s, especially if they have a high quality tube, ballast and reflectors.

4. jasonperry

Ok thanks garuf i have a good understanding now angin thanks alot ;-) regards jason.

5. jasonperry

well i had an idea the other day when i was looking at my scape. i was looking at the larger anubis and just couldnt get to like it any more. its distracting me with it stiking out like a saw thumb and with how i have it layed out now it just didnt look natrual to me. so! i went in to my shed and got the mrs biorb out ha ha went into my bits and bobs draw found some old rock, drift wood and set of biorb platic moss balls and some left over sand lol stuck my anubis in and placed it looking like its naturally growing out the rocks and ha ha ha hear is the result of the baby bio scape!! 2013-01-12 13.53.58.jpg

6. Linds

Linds Aspiring Aquascaper

Ha ha, nice one mate(y) . Good thinking. Looks pretty cool. I've never really seen a scape in a spherical tank, now I know why, it must be so hard to escape distortions. Maybe simple and central would be the key.

Can you dial back the light though? Otherwise I reckon you'll have a green Christmas ball lol.

7. jasonperry

lol it was just a throw togeather. didnt want to waste the large anubias so had a little brain storme haha. the light is fine looks brighter on the cam. its only a 5w mini halegen that comes wtth the biorb.

8. jasonperry

9. jasonperry

i have the jbl in tank atm as for subs but wanna try a new product for when i rescape and jump to high tech a better more richer subtrate proflora is that a good one but seems quite dear knowing i have to have 10ltrs of the stuff wats the best to go for if any one would recomend that they have used and had awsome results.
    and my rescape im going to create a iwagumi lay out but make it my own dont like to copey ha ha my t5 unit is on way x2 24w so c02 next week befor i even conconsidr fitting it.
    another quick question the regulator i linked earlier in my thread do the fit straight to a 2kg fire ex?? :) im really looking forward to this new lay out woooooohooo ha ha just a few things to polish up on befor i set things up :)

10. jasonperry

i might go for Tropica Plant Growth Substrate is there anyone had good results from the product?

11. jlennon

jlennon New Member

Looks great.

12. jasonperry

Thanks man :)

13. jasonperry

Florabase is the sub i might go for i see its used alot and discussed alot around the forum dose any one know that uses it do you use it as a base layer and then add the sand or gravel on top ?

14. jasonperry

oliver knott nature soil any good?

15. jasonperry

sorted thanks to garuf :) flora base it is glad that thats out the way :)

16. jasonperry

my lights came i also got 2 pink 24w sun sun bulbs is 2 pink bulbs togeather a good thing? just thought it would look cool and tryed the unit out with the pink bulbs to see what it looks like, and looks realy nice againsed the fish and plants.
    right im gunner be ordering my most important thing c02 reg and fire ex today would you recomend a glass check valve or will a plastic one be fine?
    im renewing my hoses and check valve.

also i whent to order my flora-base and AE havent got the black 10l in stock atm dose any one know any other sites that sell it i have looked all over?

would appricate help ha ha i bet u all get sick of me questioning all the time thanks guys :)

17. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I would recommend a brass check valve. CO2 can be corrosive to plastics. Also be sure to get hoses meant for CO2.

As far as bulbs go it is really whatever you like the look of. I prefer all 6500k. I added one 10000k to add some bluer light. My personal experience has shown me pink bulbs are better at growing BGA, but that could just be unique to me.

18. jasonperry

Yeah ill go for the meteal valve then:) and i know about the hose apparently normal silicone tubing c02 can disperse out if after a while and the gas can make it brittal i belive? And as for pink it looks realy nice on its own il see how it gose whats it like with hc and carpeting plants? Whats bga mean in name? Thanks regards jase ;)