1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

update on my first scape. c02 and ferts change :)

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by jasonperry, Oct 13, 2012.

1. jasonperry

jasonperry Aspiring Aquascaper

hi all.... right im getting my bum into gear!! and going to do things properly efficiant im going pressurised instead of using my diy brew and gunner have a crack at dry ferts and i have a few questions please:)
    q1. wear do i purchase the ingredients.
    q2.what ingredients do i use to create a nice rich substance that will make my plants explode and be heathyer.
    q3.how do i mix and meassure.
    q4. how much product do i use in a 60ltr tank ?

Those of you that uses dry ferts and has had good results in mid lighting i really would appreciate if those would have the time to talk it through with me so i can get a real good understanding and create some stunning growth in my plants and not have to worry about po4 deficeancys and others i hear and read there is alot into making the ferts up i could be wrong and just do not understand:confused: how it all works properly as im still abit of a noob in planted.

right im now saving for my regulater and solinode i found one on ebay hear is a pic at the one i found for £54[​IMG] are these any good?? im trying to brows round for the lowest price but efficiant as for reliable as possible. if anyone could help would be really appreciated thanks :)....jase... ps i have a month to fined a regulater and fire extinguisher as only get paid monthy from work :cry: ha ha

Sponsored link:

2. jasonperry

hey there !! did anyone get to read my thread would realy appreciate some imput please if they would thank you :) sorry to be a pain;) just need to know if this is a good regulator to get?and could someone help me with making, dosing and were to purchase dry ferts if someone has paciants to walk me through it on my thread would really be appreciated once again thanks (y)
    ps i have read a bit about dry ferts on other threads but just quite cannot get my head round it and were to get the product from...:confused:

3. jasonperry

ow and dose anyone know anywear around (louth) wear i can get fire extinguishers refilled as that is what im going to use for my c02 thanks :)

4. jasonperry

wel had a good look and research im going for the EI method :) nice and simpel.

5. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Sorry for letting this slip, Jason, I had wondered where you'd got to the other day.

Did you find a place to get FE's? Did you get the Reg?

6. jasonperry

na its fine wel got the fe from aquariumfood uk and waiting for my reg till the new year as xmas season is expence :( ha ha and cannot afford to do it atm but i have uped my diy to 3part sugar to 2part yeast and now dosing easy carb for now liquid carbon to keep algea off till after xmas but next pay day wich is new year that will be my reg buy :) :) doing it in bits and learning as i am going so hoping in the new year ill be pritty much high tech and will be abel to itroduce some hc in there woop!

7. jasonperry

just learning about ferts atm and i have put another post on my EI thread :)

8. Garuf

Yeah, it's not an easy time of year money wise but at least your tank is low light so it'll cope better than a tank like my old hilight tank that was a right fickle thing.

I think you'll be fine, a fresh setup with a bit more light and co2 and you'll have it made! Now that's something to look forward to in the new year.

9. jasonperry

ow yeah deffo :) woop i have sorted that question out on my ei thread waw i made some wording mistakes everything was wrong lol so you might understand it better now on what i was wanting to know ha ha sorry about that :0

10. Garuf

I get what you mean I think, so if you're going to make a mix with 12 doses of 50ml in you'd times 50 x 12 and that would give you how much water you'd add.

11. jasonperry

thanks garuf this is the vid i got my calculations ie how many tsp of each to put in a 500ml batch to dose 10 ml per 50ltr how did he know how much to put in ie using the calculator?

12. jasonperry

ps im dosing 10 ml per 50ltr i started dosing on sunday so macro sun after wc micro mon and so on rest day on sat then 50% wc on sun then macro and so on is this correct? basically macro one day micro the next? sorry to be a pain lol i just doubel checking if its correct :)

13. Garuf

That's correct. Macro,micro,macro,micro,macro, rest, waterchange and macro is how most people run it.

14. jasonperry

Ok garuf thanks glad im doing things right now :)

15. jasonperry

Thinking of taking my diy rig away and just using the easy carbo liquid carbon dioxide alone so my c02 isn't fluctuating from my diy rig is this a good idea until i go pressurized is liquid carbon dioxide alone better than using the diy ?

16. Garuf

Because you're tank has such a modest level of light I would think that for the time being just liquid carbon will be sufficient to run your tank till then if not indefinitely if you keep your levels of light at the current level.

17. jasonperry

Right ok garuf ill tke my diy off tomorrow nobody want fluctuating c02 that asking for algae im doing 2ml per 50ltr that's maximum dose on the recommended daily dose is that ok? The minimum is 1ml per 50ltr and since i have started the ei dosing you wouldn't believe it but my plants are greenist they have ever been and also since i have started using liquid carbon its crazy but awesome ha ha:)

18. jasonperry

Any one heard of the dirt method ie using garden potting compost for a aqua soil toped with sand sounds pritty weird to me watched a utube vid of it is that a safe method?

19. Garuf

It used to be popular but I can not recommend it since it's only suitable for low tech tanks and has lots of downsides, needs capping, goes anaerobic, most soils available on the market just aren't suitable and will leach all sorts into the water column. It's dead tech with an extremely small band in which it succeeds and people stopped doing it for a very good reason. It's also not as cheap as Akadama which is infinitely more usable, stable and safe...

As nice as it is to learn from a video, youtube only puts across one voice and they will always tell you they're right and in most cases it's wrong so always research it, I can't put that across more, youtube does more for disinformation than anything else for this very reason. Always, always question what someone says on youtube, because it isn't self rectifying when information is wrong like on a forum it's very easy for people to lie, twist or mislead you either for their own gain or just through ignorance.

20. jasonperry