1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

update on my first aquascape

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by jasonperry, Apr 22, 2012.

1. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Can you expand on this? You do know we want nitrate and phosphates in the water, right?

Sponsored link:

2. jasonperry

jasonperry Aspiring Aquascaper

yeah i know bud that was the ro before i put it in the tank i checked the water today after been running over 24hrs im now at 107.4 on kh that was 6 drops untill reaction and gh still at 89.5 and that was 5 drops now at 7.8 on ph so its gon up:) must of miss interpreted the info slightly to what i was meaning sorry :) (i deleted last post because i didnt make sense i realised when i read it bak to myself lol)

3. jasonperry

i have removed the filter clearmax media because the the guy form my acuatic center gave me the wrong infomation on what it was supposed to do i had a lil read on it today and it actually traps nitrite nitrate and prospates so not happy as it cost me a fair bit of money :( so its all out of the filter now :) i did a test on kh and gh again just for doubel check and kh was 5 drops 89.5 and gh same value as the other day so that media had brought it down slightly in the kh so pleased iv took it out as it was starting to creep down i have jbl gh and kh buffers up to keep it up in the right scale as it ro i just need to get a nitrate test as only got nitrite test kit atm ow and ph still in 7.8
    just wanted to ask on ur take on this would u say my kh gh and ph is good atm i did a lil bit of studying just before transfering to ro i got the buffers obviously with the ro what is the most it can be allowed to go down all in all to be safe?? as u can see im new to planted just want to ensure my water chemistry is right throughout i know all in all that we need prospates and nitrates i deffo got 2 get a nitrate kit be deffo gettin one when i go get my water drum filled this week thanks for input garuf :)

4. Garuf

Where in the UK are you?! I lived in Stoke on trent and the water is liquid rock, depending on season around 8.2, harder in the summer and I never had any issues related to hard water, the tank was a sod to keep clean from limescale but that's no issue.
    Rather than spending money on gh buffers etc. why don't you just cut your water with that out of the tap?

Don't worry about "chemistry" plants grow because they can not because the chemistry is right, concentrate on co2 and flow, you'll only make more problems for yourself stressing about things that aren't issues.

5. jasonperry

ok garuf thanks for help and i live in (links) town of louth and yeah i think i was stressing a lil much and yeah i had that problem with limescale so i went ro just mainly for good fresh water that i can set my own gh my tap water was off the scale like really hard and it works out cheaper for me to do it this way aswel :) aslong as its no less than 50ppm they say thats good for live plants do u agree? 50 : 100 ppm is about right for plants not too much or too less so just gunner leave it at the value im at i think 89.5ppm on gh and kh. i have good water flow and co2 so not worried about that :) using the jbl 80 co2 kit

6. jasonperry

thing is with me i study too hard eg read too much lol im that person u call "ocd" ha ha :)
    yeah my tank is open top so lots of evapuration i was spending alot of money on declorenater only pay £3 for 25 ltrs of ro and that will last me alot longer :)

7. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

got a bit..but guess it'll become clear once you post pix..never the less waiting for your progress.. :)

jasonperry likes this.
  8. Garuf

Plants will grow in pure RO and I know of many scapers who do it/have done it in the past. It really doesn't matter what the hardness of water is, yes, soft is preferable but it's not the be all and end all.

It's best not to listen to what a lot of shops say, the information is often totally out dated at best.

ShadowMac likes this.
  9. jasonperry

ok bud yeah im just using pure becasue the ro i have been getting is mid hardness so iv just been putting it in pure. i got the buffering salts just incase it was to fall too low if u get what i mean its goin wel tho plats are gettin better the java fern has come alot healthy since i have changed to ro and added subtrate and the mini swords have been shooting up all over ha ha looking good so far :) and abhradip i will put some pics on later to show u the progress so far :)

10. jasonperry

11. jasonperry

week after rescape just gotta wate a week then add the rest of my shrimps to clean up what was left of the algey on the java ferns and nubius :) new stuff added ro water, subtrate mini swords, pogostemon helferi and some cryptocoryne also some rocks to back the sand and subs at the back for back plants will add some more pics when the sword grass carpets the front and rear of the rocks :) hope u all like ...

12. jasonperry

also added same pics at top in thumb size because these seem slightly un clear view the thumb size one for better quallity thank :)

13. jasonperry

alge almost gone off the plants java fern looks even better today will post some more pics soon :)

14. jasonperry

shrimps doin there job :)

15. Garuf

Might as well remove the BBA infected leaves, the tank will look a damn sight better for it.

16. jasonperry

there already gone did a clean up yesterday alge all gone now as well so gettin there

17. jasonperry

will take somes pics and update some more tomorrow

18. jasonperry

i couldnt get on forum last night and yesterday did any one have the same problem ????

19. jasonperry

was goin to leave putting the rest of the shrimps untill next week but added them 2 at a time for the past few days and they seem to be fine didnt want all of them to be cramped in 15 ltr of water for to long because they seemed un happy but been checking every day to see if there all active and ok hoping it wont be a problem?? but they seem a lot happier and now eating they have cleard all the alge off the plants that had it on so all good so far...

20. Garuf

Yeah, the forum was down for maintenance, we're rolling out a whole new look.