1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Up date on New 75 gal freshwater tank

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by David B. Diehl, Sep 28, 2016.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

David
    That is a new one on me my suggestion open another topic and keep it for Fish only
    Most important of all is treat you like a customer not a cash bowl like many do these days.

I used several foods all open at once and that meant a different food each day except on water change days.
    Tetramin was a definite one but I do not recognise the Tetacolour but I think all the foods I used had a colour additive in it except the Algae chips for the big Clown Loaches and catfishes.

They must also be compatible especially with the shrimp (that eliminates most of the fish) also your tank specifications. Shrimp are far better off in a special Shrimp tank.

Keith:cat::cat:

David B. Diehl likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. David B. Diehl

David B. Diehl Aspiring Aquascaper

I have gone in this store on a non busy day and just talked fish tanks. they are more customer relations than almost all the big pet chains. One employee is interested on buying fish for his tank and not the store and their ok with that. Might of even found a buyer for that large tank I was given. An employee's father is looking to go bigger and if he can get it transported he might buy it, not sure what something like that is worth. But cheaper than having it made or store bought.

On these forums can you request to talk to certain members by name or is it just who ever responds?

I do still have the 2o gal with water already cycled and an empty 5 gal.

They did however give me the copper remover for the tank without charge, most pet stores would not have done that or tested the water for free. I love their reef tank set-up, shows dedication to the hobby.

If you want to look up their website it's The Reef Aquarium Shop in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA

3. keithgh

David

Being a Mod I try to answer as many as possible if I do not know the answer I will direct them to where they might find the answer. I cannot speak for other members here or on other forums.

I know of forums you can wait a very long time for a reply or never get a reply at all.

4. David B. Diehl

New arrangement for 75 gal tank, removed Cyprus added cabomba in corners. 75 gal april 2017.jpg

5. keithgh

David

That looks the clearest it has been for some time. How is your inhabitants level going is is well below the 100% ?

6. David B. Diehl

Still at 92% with 62 fish, looks empty. I think the snails are dormant as the do not smell and when you touch them they close their door tighter. Assume the assassin snails are the same, they have no door but foot is part way out and there is a lot of them. Shrimp are still getting in the filter at night and have to scoop them out every morning. Amanos even climb into other sections of filter, have to take it apart to catch them.
    How would you recommend doing the switch to RO water? A total water change is probably a bad idea for a quick fix. What is the max you would recommend, letting bacteria set in water a couple of days first?

7. keithgh

David

Simple add a prefilter over your inlet.
    [​IMG]
    That is a course filter block it fitted over the inlet perfectly

Seeing there are live bearers in your tank it will go over the 100 very soon.
    Question for you do you want a healthy tank or a tank full of fish.

Sorry as I have never had your water problems I have no idea at all.

8. David B. Diehl

Mine uses a hang on the side overflow sponge pre filter off because it was killing the fish that got trapped in the box, plus it was holding the fish and the baby assassin snails that also get sucked up.
    Can't I have a healthy tank full of fish.
    Might try narrowing the size of the slits on the side, or put a screen on it.

9. keithgh

David
    That is the reason for using that site its an excellent guide.
    The simple answer is No over population will cause you far more problems but its your tank and your fish. You have just gone through I think many problems and many caused by over capacity. I always pushed my tanks but I had big Eheim canister filters and UGF plus a very high maintenance program.

Can you post a good photo of the filter inlets.

10. David B. Diehl

It is an Eshopps Overflow Box PF-300 I don't use the foam tube, the little assassin snails get sucked up. Don't want them killing anything. s-l1600.jpg

11. keithgh

David

I have never seen any thing like it. Over all it looks like and sounds like a surface skimmer not an actual HOB filter

The Eshopps PF-300 Hang on overflow box features a compact U-Tube Design. The PF-300 is designed for aquariums up to 75 gallons, and has a maximum flow rate of 300gph. At only 3" wide, minimal space is required between your tank and wall, these boxes are excellent for optimizing space. The interior black acrylic overflow box is adjustable so you can set the water level in the aquarium where you want it, and efficiently pulls water of the surface to keep the surface clean. Each box includes everything required to install on your aquarium and includes; Foam prefilter, Clear U-tube syphon, nylon screw & wing nuts, black pre-filter box & 1 in. bulkhead drain.

I had a smaller HOB (Same as filter below) unit for my 45lt tank and as you can see it collects the water deeper in the tank and gives you a greater water flow which I said previously you tank requires more.

I hope a member who has used your type of filter can post more info about it.

[​IMG]

12. David B. Diehl

Near as I can figure the shrimp swim to it and clean the algae off and get sucked in. The snails I don't know how the get in, usually find about a dozen in it in the morning.
    That is the box in the upper left corner of picture.

13. David B. Diehl

Not actually the filter it flows into the 10 gal sump filter in previous pictures. Then the water is pumped back into the tank.
    Have the filters for the RO unit and making water, it does about 2.6 gph. Have about 60 gal already to do water changes this weekend. Soft water and 0 on nitrites, Nitrates, Chlorine.. Kh is ideal, Ph is neutral. Plan on doing 50% at a time, I think I can run hot water threw the RO unit to warm up the temp to match the tank along with Stability.

14. keithgh

David

How often are you going to do the 50% changes plus are you cleaning the filters at the same time?

15. David B. Diehl

Changing filter every week to week and a half as I now have 4 tanks going 75gal, 55gal, 40gal breeder and 20gal long. Need them to spread out the fish, just had a mass of baby guppies and baby shrimp. The 40 breeder will have a AquaClear 70 on it and putting the Marineland 250 on the 20 gal which is filled with no fish in it. The Osmacote plus does work as fertilizer if interested. Everything is growing out of the tanks. 7-17-17.jpg

Off topic question, is it normal to reset a planted tank about every 9 months? Since turning the lights on full time for 10 hours they are over growing the tanks. The fullest pictured above is already growing out of the tank by about 2" now. Getting plenty of nutrients as they are leafed all the way to the base of the tank. About halt way up they split into multiple stalks. Right side is solid plants front to back, crypts are now back fuller than they were before. Taking a gallon of moss in for trade about every 3 weeks, have foreground plants stagnoe repens [can't spell it right, short plant broad leaves] about 3" tall and cutting them down to bottom shoots and replanting. Surprisingly cypress is growing again and spreading. They didn't lie when they said once you get moss you never get rid of it, have to pick it out every other day where it isn't wanted.

16. keithgh

David

Do you mean re do every thing or thinning out the plants. The answer is very simple no two tank are exactly the same and its up the owner.

I only thinned out as required.

17. David B. Diehl

Most of the problem is with the stemmed plants, every time I trim them they send out double the shoots. Even with cutting them off at the surface, the moneywort and ludwigia. The Java fern and Anubias would have to be cut off the driftwood. The Anubias nana petite is about the size of a tennis ball on some plants. Have Java fern plants about baseball size with roots extending into the substraight. Java and Christmas moss has gotten into everything, lost a couple of crypt parva in the moss. Just looking for advise.

18. keithgh

David

[​IMG]
    Its not hard to see that tank requires a lot of work to be done on it.

It looks very much you are not doing enough maintenance. My advice would be do a very big clean out and sell the plants. When you have done that its just a matter of keeping on top of all the maintenance. The best time to do every thing is when you are doing your water change, check all the plants and see what is required to be done then do it immediately.

19. David B. Diehl

Took a total mass of about a football size of Java fern out of each side. One side was completely covered by Java moss, the other was packed in tight. Leaves are about 7" long with root mass that is fist sized. Also found an Anubias plant that was covered by moss. Trimmed the Ludwigia and filled in the center on this tank and one side of the 55 gal tank. Moss will be put in my 20 gal long along with the Java fern. That tank is just gravel on the bottom, still a work in progress. Probably will be for shrimp and guppy grow out. Have new High Finned Lyre tailed swords in the 55 if I can catch them.

keithgh likes this.
  20. keithgh

David
    Now you can actually see your fish in that tank all you have to do now is keep that tank under control.

Any chance of a few photos please.