1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Up date on New 75 gal freshwater tank

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by David B. Diehl, Sep 28, 2016.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

David Its a wonder you have not had more concerns.

Keith:cat::cat:

Sponsored link:

2. David B. Diehl

David B. Diehl Aspiring Aquascaper

Been talking with another fish supplier that has had a tank running for several years without water changes. They don't even go in to do cleanups of dead plant material. Their the ones that showed me how to do a sump without drilling the tank. These tanks have been running for about 40 years or so. Some don't even have filters just plants. One tank is 6" deep of solidly packed plants but uses Co2. They even sell and set-up custom built tanks. This light seams to be working great, raised it up about 9" off the tank and only using 3 bulbs at a time.

3. keithgh

David

A fully planted fishless tank does not require water changes just top ups caused by evaporation, I remember seeing photos of these tanks in Europe (Dutch I think) over 50 years ago.

It's the same with Aquascapes some people never change them after many many years.

4. David B. Diehl

All but the tank that is 6" deep in plants have fish in them. They said just keep the fish count down and plant count high, I think you told me that too. My 55 gal tank with no filter on it has 3-2" and about 5- 1/2" fish in it. Most of these stores get fish in on Tues. gone by Fri. Did get 4 male guppies for the 75 gal tank last week. Have about 25-30 fry swordtails to go in the 55 gal tank when the filter is hooked back up. All green swordtaails

5. keithgh

David even with a filtered tank having big livebearers can very quickly over load any tank.

6. David B. Diehl

Installed sump filter, Pump is too big 317 gph throws everything around the tank. Going to find a smaller pump. The sump handles the flow just not the tank. Also received the driftwood for the 55 gal tank

7. keithgh

David what rating/brand will you be looking for now?

8. David B. Diehl

Probably same brand Aqueon, have a AQ2300 317-608 gpm will try a AQ1700 264-449 gpm or smaller.

9. keithgh

David open a new thread in Equipment and ask about what you have the concerns plus what you are thinking ofg doing. A few photos might also help.

Someone might be able to assist you in your choice of pumps.

10. David B. Diehl

Posted thread with picture.

11. keithgh

David great I hope a member can assist you very soon.

12. David B. Diehl

Think I found the problem with this tank. It is planted too heavy with little plants. As you can see from picture there are a lot of plants, what you can't see are all the little plants Crypts parva that barely stick out of the substrate thanks to the MTS. This is the lighter planted side. Went in to remove all the loose moss and started to pull up detritus, can't clean the gravel with hose because everything is so tight together. Doing one side at a time pulling all plants and replanting above substrate. Found dwarf sag I didn't even know I had anymore because they were buried. Originally there was a path up the middle but has since disappeared.
    After removing the plants, 5 pints worth, used vacume siphon and water was black. Back is almost one solid mass of plants, at least 30 ludwigia repens plants with side shoots. Even found a couple plants I didn't even know what they were. I think they're juncus repens, look like grass. too heavy planting.jpg

13. keithgh

David

I have had very heavily planted tanks and never a concern like that possibly because in the very early years of having tanks I learnt to wave my hand over the plants and this would always syphon up any gunk and this was many years before computers and naturally Forums.

14. David B. Diehl

This was farther down in the sand. The MTS had buried about 3/4 of the crypts parva plant, and almost all of the wasillia plants. Took this time to remove the copper wire from the driftwood. Had little plants of Christmas moss in everything. Had 2"dia rocks that were totally buried, even a piece of driftwood that had java fern that was dead.
    Originally this tank was 5" higher in the back, but is now all one height. Putting rocks in to keep substrate in back.
    Shrimp are everywhere including getting in the sump filter through the overflow box.

15. keithgh

David

You will have to work out a weekly maintenance plan so that none of these concerns every happen again. I hope you cleaned your filter including the pump when you finished as it would have a lot of muck in it as well. What also might help is plenty of a good water movement in every part of the tank from top to bottom.

16. David B. Diehl

Cleaned one side of the tank, removing the plants with little disturbance of substrate. Then used vac-siphon to clean substrate being careful not to go into the Eco-Complete. Then replanted, Some of the plants had only 3/4" of green leaf above substrate but almost 12" of root. Split and reattached Anubias Nana that was the size of a tennis ball into 8 pcs. Filter had to be cleaned twice while water settled and replanted with quarter water tank change. Have gotten pretty good at attaching plants using zip ties to the driftwood while in the tank.
    Instead of planting in lines I'm planting in clumps by type. individually I think there is over 750 crypts parva in the tank all about 1.5" tall.

17. keithgh

David

The Crypts food in the wild is "Mulm" I never siphoned around any of my crypts just waved my hand over the plants.
    Its also excellent natural food for Shrimp fry.

18. David B. Diehl

Crypts were 3/4 buried, most was uneaten food and dead plant matter. Was told TetraMin food was not very good for tropical fish which will mean less feeding.
    Bought some crystals to remove copper from water until filters arrive. Will be switching to all RO water, will have to work out adding ferts later. Getting a lot of help from LFS. in return I sell them plants. Half of 75 gal set-up, will post new pictures when done. Need more rocks to hold driftwood in place.

19. keithgh

David
    https://www.tetra.net/en/en/products/aquarium/tropical-fish/fish-food

Which Tetra were you using as that sounds very strange over the years I think I would have used more of the Tetra foods than any other brand. Naturally over feeding (which apparently you were doing) of any brand/variety will be left uneaten.
    I hope its all the right info, some how you have been given a lot of wrong information recently.

It should be water logged by now though some timbers will never sink.

20. David B. Diehl

This shop does aquarium designs commercially with maintenance programs. Have been around in the same space for years, now take up the whole building plus one across the street. Actually have a designer that does their aquascaping for the store tanks. Can tell it's a good store by the tanks of plants, no algae plus high end plants.

The food is Tetracolor or Tetramin, both have certain colors that they won't eat. Can see it still on the bottom hours later, that's one reason for the shrimp.

Rocks are to keep the driftwood from moving around the tank. Will get covered with gravel or planted.

Used the Seachem copper test and it didn't register any copper so had LFS do a test of same water. Used a company called Scert I think. Saw some on E-Bay, whole set for $100.00 plus

Going to research every fish, shrimp, snail and plant for ph. range, temp, and hardness to come up with middle ground so everything is happy. Plant info can get from Tropica website, Snails from Aquatic Arts. What is a good one for fish?