1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Up date on New 75 gal freshwater tank

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by David B. Diehl, Sep 28, 2016.

1. David B. Diehl

David B. Diehl Aspiring Aquascaper

Progress on tank so far. 75 gal with UGF to be hooked up to 2 Cobalt canister filters through 4 lift tubes. Substrate is Eco-complete with a cap of pool filter sand. Most of the plants lost the leaves covered with algae and from splitting from tissue culture. All the Java fern plus half again came from one, two inch pot giving me both narrow and broad leafs. Driftwood is from E-bay for total of $60.00. Both the Moneywort and Ludwige Repens are from leftover survivors of 55 gal tank. Using same light as before with only 3 bulbs lit at one time, that's as few as it would light up with about 6: above tank. Will soon be transferring fish over in about a month. They have been breeding like crazy, have 3 different types of swords from same female. One female turned male. Now have 5 or so different types of Platys from 2-3 different females. Just cannot seem to get rid of these pond snails, switched to smashing them so shrimp can eat them. A couple of more plants coming soon for right side driftwood. Flourish Excel worked great as a algaecide, thanks for that information from Supercoley 1. Pictures below are tank setup left and right. Hair grass started from seed, first is one about a month the other is about 2 weeks. aquariun 2.0.png aquarium 2.0.png hairgrass #1  2 months.png hairgrass #2 1 week.png

Sponsored link:

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

David

Your tank still looks very bare and flat with little to hold your interest. You require more taller rocks and plenty of DW to make something with.

Being flat not much can be done without stripping it down.

I would use this tank as a big learning curve while planning your rebuild at some later date.

Keith:cat::cat:

3. David B. Diehl

Plan on putting some 1"-2" thick pieces of slate vertically in back when I find them. Will also help hold down the driftwood, with being single branches tied together there prone to moving. Three types of crypts Parva, Wassillii and brown ? small right now because of leaf loss but growing. Taller plants in back are Ludwiga repens, started out about 1/4" tall, and moneywort with hairgrass [ full size] in corner. Will add Cyperus Helferi also in back, Anubias Petite and Bucephalandra Green to driftwood on right when it arrives. Doing water change now but taking forever. RO runs about 4 gal per hour and changing half tank. Water is so hard even with RO water still reeds hard on test. Most of the driftwood available in stores here are like telephone polls. Got this off E-Bay and looking for more flat wood pieces. Don't like stuff dead fish can hide behind. Saw video on Dustin's Fish Tanks about letting plants grow out of top of tank, what are your thoughts about that? Supposedly they grow better. Found out don't use aquarium silicone to attach moss to driftwood, it kills it. Now just waiting for everything to grow in

4. keithgh

David you now have a plan to follow please keep us updated.

5. David B. Diehl

New plants in, in corners and on driftwood. Anubias patite nana, Christmas moss and Bucephalandra green wavy on driftwood, Cyprus in cornersHalf of hair grass looks like it died, it has turned white will give it a few more days. Transferred all fish now only one died, all are hiding probably because of new tank. Most be doing something right one of the Bucephalandra is blooming, the one on far left. aquarium 2.12.png aquarium 2.11.png

6. keithgh

David

The more plants you add particularly in the substrate the better it will look.

7. David B. Diehl

Still looking for crypt wasillii, nobody seems to have any on eBay.

8. keithgh

David can your LFS get it for you?

Shawn might know of a supplier/grower.

9. David B. Diehl

Don't trust them, there the ones that got me in this mess to start with. Plus they are only interested in turnover, most of the fish I got from them died the first or second week after I got them. All the ones I have now are offspring they had before they died. Have another source a little farther away that looks good, just have to make the trip. Not sure if the hair grass will make it so I started two more batches. Will let them grow longer in pot to build up and be more root bound. Have also cut back on lighting by one hour. Would be considering to let plants grow out top of tank what are your thoughts on it, mostly Ludwigie Repens, Moneywort and standard hair grass. Most of the tanks have full glass on them.

10. keithgh

David

Letting your plants grow tall is nothing wrong in that as long as it does not block out your light.

11. David B. Diehl

aquarium 2.21.png Plants started to fold over so I trimmed them. aquarium 2.22.png

12. keithgh

David
    Did you replant the trimmings? It should start to thicken up now. Once those fish start breeding you will be over stocked very quickly.

13. David B. Diehl

The Ludwiggia Repens I replanted in the back in the center. The money wort about 14 went back in the 55 gal tank. Already have as many babies as you see adult and juvenile fish. Have more crypt parva and java fern in a 5 gal tank that was leftover from 75 gal tank planting. Not worried about overstock still have empty 55 gal and 20 gal with cycled water in them with filters and heat running. Might have to thin out the Cyprus in the corners if it gets to thick.
    Don't know anybody interested in a 36+" alligator gar, have a friend that has to get rid of his by Jan 1. All they would have to do is arrange for shipping.
    When should I start thinking about fertilizer tabs for this tank? It has Eco-Complete under about 1" of sand. About 1" deep in front and 3" in back. Even considered Florish Excel liquid if I can get it cheap enough.

14. keithgh

David

I would add one fert tab to each rooted plant, liquid ferts would be very beneficial to all of your plants.

Check On Line prices.

15. David B. Diehl

They are all pretty much rooted plants except for what is on the driftwood.
    How does anyone catch fish in a planted aquarium without destroying everything? Would love to put some of the new swordtails in another aquarium before the get to big.
    It works out to be about 1 cap of flourish excel about every other day

16. keithgh

17. David B. Diehl

Is it normal to have to start thinning out plants already in the new tank. Since most were just put in the tank in Sept. Have already had to remove several patches of spikey moss, one was the size of a softball. It was started from a couple of strings, now about 12" long and 6" wide. Cyprus has reached the top of tank and doubled in size. Fish population has about tripled from what I can see. Will probably start giving some away. What is the best way to ship them, I know overnight but how to package them. Can get heat packs if necessary.

18. keithgh

David

I would not say it was unusual to have a good growth providing you have a healthy tank plus healthy plants to start with. Fish certainly breed faster in a healthy tank also if the Temp is raised a little, but I believe this can shorten their life span.

Shipping fish PM Shawn he would know as I have never sold any that way.

19. David B. Diehl

At last count there was about 100+ fry in this now. Will start separating out adult and juvenile swordtails by color into 55gal and 20 gal. Do plants bloom underwater like bucefalandra wavy leaf green? Sorry about spelling.

20. keithgh