1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Untitled mini M iwagumi, first attempt.

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by k.wawrzykowski, Jul 23, 2015.

1. k.wawrzykowski

k.wawrzykowski New Member

Hi guys, My name is Karol and i would like to share my fisrt hardscape project ever, and my first post here as well.
    I`ve done a lot of research concerning iwagumi style and I think it`s the most apealing type of aquascape, speaking for myself of course. There are many beautiful styles and layouts all over the internet, though I personally prefer those more minimalistic than complex. Maybe it`s just a beginners oppinion, we`ll see ;)

I`ve worked out many different layouts within 3 last months though this particular one is by far the most intersting to me. Please have a look and tell me what You think :) Thanks in advance :)

• the tank will be switched to optiwhite mini M - 36cm - 22cm -26cm - the one on the pictures has the same dimensions
    • lighting - 2x 6W LED lamps
    • filtartion - Eheim 2211 classic
    • pressurised Co2
    • rocks - maple leaf stone
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers :D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 23, 2015
  2. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

Great pics! The rocks look beautiful! One thing that bothers me a little is how divided the hard scape looks. Maybe you are planning to fix this with planting, but I figured that I would just throw it out there. Keep us updated!

3. Jack

Jack Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi Karol, Nice textured rocks. try placing the main rock(RH) little more vertical, that would also make some space between the main and the secondary rock(LH). Might change the looks. Just a suggestion.

Pls enlighten us newbies by what u meant "how divided the hardscape looks":). And how could it be done in a better form. thanks

4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Hello Karol

Welcome to ASW can you fill in your Country and location please in your Profile.
    [​IMG]

You have a simple yet neat Aquascape, I have several concerns.

The distance between the two back rocks is closed, my suggestion would be move the rock on the LH side a little to open it up.

The front large rock also move forward for two reasons those three rocks are in a straight line also it will open up the gap between the rock and the large rock behind it.

Keith:):)

Jack and alex08 like this.
  5. sushant

sushant Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi Karol, the scape loo,ks good but for the ease of cleaning and maintenance I would suggest to shift the rock on the right to slightly away from the glass.

IMO arranging the three small rocks at the front pointing along the front left corner will add more character to the overall scape.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
  6. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I like the rock placement. I wouldn't move much. Keiths suggestions are good. Although I'm not sure about the left stone as I would take the closeness of the stones vs. moving the second largest stone too close to the edge. As plants grow in you may lose some of the rock surface. Welcome to ASW!

keithgh likes this.
  7. ShadowMac

What plants do you have in mind for your scape?

8. keithgh

Shawn
    As I often say "All we have is a photo and its often hard to judge what it actually looks like".

Certainly plants can change the character of an Aquascape.

Depending on the plants those two smaller rocks at the front could easily be lost in the planting.

9. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Karol, Welcome to ASW (y)

Nice rock work:rolleyes: Great looking rocks too. Looking forward to seeing this little Scape come to life :)

10. k.wawrzykowski

Thank You guys for such a warm welcome and many good sugestions :)

I`ve tried all the corrections that Keith sugested, it makes sense to create the space between the big right hand side rock and the left hand side stone. I` ve actually made all the moves from Keith`s photo instruction and the scape looks better.
    I will post new pictures when my new tank arrives, this week probably, so if I find the right placement of all the rocks it can stay this way utill planting :)

Concerning plants, I thought of having eleocharis parvula in the bacground, small bush of alternanthera reineckii mini in the right hand side, in front of the biggest rock. And finally some small plant in the foreground, probably hemianthus callitrichoides cuba. I am a little concerned that althernanthera will grow too big, but i wanted it to cover the shadowed area in front of the biggest stone. Am I thinking right with the planting? What would You suggest guys? I am aware that some hardscape will vanish under the plants:)

By the way, I found theese rocks in my local pet store, funny thing is the owner didn`t even know what type of stone is that but i loved the texture and colour ;) So i bought it and did a research later, it turns out there aren`t many layouts made with maple leaf stone.

Have a great sunday guys :)

ShadowMac and keithgh like this.
  11. ShadowMac

The A. reinickii mini could work. Just routinely trim it back. As you continue to do so the branches and leaves will become smaller and the plant will become more compact.

greenfinger 2 and keithgh like this.
  12. keithgh

k.wawrzykowski,

Looks like the Maple leaf Stone has only recently been discovered by Aquascapers.

13. ShadowMac

It is a beautiful stone. I'd like to get a hold of some. Karol, is the stone inert? Does it effect water chemistry at all?

14. keithgh

Shawn

The only way to answer your questions is get a piece and run some test your self.

15. Ed Villagracia

Ed Villagracia Active Aquascaper

nice rocks and rocks placement even if you will make a little tweaking.

my concern is your lighting because i could see space that is not well lighted inside your glass tank.
    i am not quite sure if its due to added black substrate.

welcome to ASW ;)

ShadowMac likes this.
  16. greenfinger 2

Sorry to butt in on your thread Karol.

Hi Shawn, The rock is inert:)
    Link Info at bottom of page.
    http://www.freshwatershrimp.co.uk/product.php?id_product=364

keithgh and ShadowMac like this.
  17. k.wawrzykowski

Thak You mr_ED :) The lighting actually looks better in real life than in the pictures, I hope that 12 W will be enough for 21 L volume of the tank.

As for the rocks, I`ve only read some information from the websites that sell them, and yes, they are inert as greenfinger 2 pointed out :) Thank for the link mate :)
    I have no experience with theese stones and how fast will they become green. To be honest i have only found litarally 1 aquascape made with maple leaf stone, by Pedro Rosa:

I am currently still waitng for my optiwhite tank. As soon as I collect it, I will arrange the hardscape and post the final pictures so You can advise me a little more guys ;) Thanks a lot for Your help, I aprecciate Your tips :)

keithgh, ShadowMac and greenfinger 2 like this.
  18. keithgh

Maple Leaf rock is relatively new to the hobby but has a great potential to become very popular. Slightly resembles vulcanic lava rock but much more beautiful.

Can be relatively easy to break in order to achieve desired shape or create a grading sand appearance.

Maple Leaf rock is inert thus making it ideal choice for shrimp keeping as well as aquascaping.

Info
    http://www.freshwatershrimp.co.uk/product.php?id_product=364

19. greenfinger 2

Hi Karol, How things going ?? :)

20. keithgh

Did those rocks give you a good hardscape?