1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Unnamed mountain landscape

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by severumkid, Nov 13, 2014.

1. severumkid

severumkid Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi!

After a long time, I was away from aquascaping and did not participate in this years IAPLC or AGA, I have started a tank at home. I am planning to start another one but then that is another story.

Specs:

Tank- 24x15x24
    Substrate - mixed, used, ADA Amazonia, Controsoil, JBL Manado.
    Decor - Local rocks.
    Lights - 4x24 watt T5HO.
    Pressurised Co2
    EI dosing.

Plants - As of now, I am plannning to use, Micranthemum umbrosum Montecarlo, Lileopsis brasiliensis, Eleocharis parvula, Staurogene tropica, Hemianthus Micranthemoides and some moss ( I have not yet decided on which moss as of now).

Fishes - Mountain minnows.

Please give me your inputs as that will help me to learn and do better.
    As of now, I have managed to reach till here :p :

Old.jpg

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  2. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

I have to say, my eyes do not know where to stay. The pointy rock on the top-right has a nice point to form a focal point, but several others do, and a rock in the middle-left has so much mass that it drags you eye to it.
    I also think the rock at the foreground has too much contrast between the lights and darks, also dragging a viewer's eye away.

Try creating a more designated focal point to see what happens.

keithgh likes this.
  3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

[​IMG]

severumkid

I looked at you post earlier and it had me complexly confused to what you were trying to do, the more I looked the more confused I became.

Back and nothing has changed.

Over all it seems too busy with rocks that have little or no character about them.

The blue dots are close to where the Focal Points are.

? Rock looks out of place and is far to big for its location.

1 Large flat surfaces.

2 Flat surface right at the front.

3 Flat surfaces front and side.

My suggestion if you found these stones locally look for smaller stones with plenty of character not flat surfaces, or break them up and see what happens, they could be the type of rock that breaks up with flat surfaces

Make up a box use sand as a substrate and post several hard scapes.

Sorry if I seem to be too critical but that is how I see it, I am sure you could do a lot better with the correct stones well positioned.

I strongly suggest you do a lot of research here on ASW on Rocky Aquascapes.

Keith:):)

4. -serok-

-serok- Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi severumkid!

Keith is right. I agree 100% with him. Try to use some smaller stones in different variations, the stones you're using are too big for this tank. Use 1-2 of them, the rest have to be smaller stones of different sizes.

keithgh likes this.
  5. lucasgg

However, please do not get discouraged by our words. We truly enjoy seeing 'scapes come together, and to see the people making them grow.
    I look forward to seeing another hardscape!

keithgh likes this.
  6. severumkid

I appreciate all the advices. I plan to infroduce more rocks to this, which will be smaller, to accentuate the bigger rocks. I know that the rocks are not very interesting but I believe that I can makeup for that with my planting plan. I will be updating this thread with developments. Please be with me and keep those inputs pouring in. Lastly, I am not at all disheartened rather I am happy to get the positive feedback guys!

keithgh and lucasgg like this.
  7. severumkid

Do not faint please, here is a coloured pic. 10686908_10152414362625796_8675605696642955911_n.jpg

8. severumkid

Am planning to do some changes in the way the substrate is laid down in the front. Hope it comes.out as I am hoping. :)

lucasgg likes this.
  9. keithgh

severumkid

I always try to write constructive criticisms and make suggestions of what "might work"

In the end its the posters tank and the most important thing they have done the best with what they have and are pleased with the result and along the way have learnt something about Aquascaping.

10. severumkid

Update, the layout, now. Some minor changes in the substrate elevation at the front and giving texture to the rocks, my way. ;):p:LOL:
    Will have some.more rocks coming in to accentuate the bigger rocks. Loads of things to do before I start planting. Will update the thread soon. IMG_20141116_162123~2~2.jpg

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  11. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

I like it but would be good to see a photo from the front level with the tank rather than from below it. Another photo from slightly above the centre line looking down would be good too.

I do like it though. Very bold and will be minimal planting to make it a very powerful scape.

keithgh likes this.
  12. keithgh

I agree its a very bold aquascape its just that rather large flat surface on the front centre rock seems out of place compared to all the other rocks.

13. lucasgg

Please post an update. We are anxious to see what might have changed. :)

severumkid and keithgh like this.
  14. severumkid

Update time.

Created 2 paths on the rocks for waterfalls. The waterfalls will come in soon. These are some experiments where some may work for me and some I will have to discard and reapproach. Since I do not have a strict deadline to of finish this, so I want to explore.

From the beginning, I am not very happy with the water that I have created. It is not bad but it is coming out too bright in the pics, becoming hard to capture it properly and i am not liking the final shape of it so much, though, it is giving a feel of turbulant sea upclose, but i am not looking for a sea here. And, I am very sure that in my next attempt, I will be able to better this effort. So why not?

So here is a PIC of the water that I had created and now contemplating reapproaching. IMG_20141119_004307~2.jpg

15. severumkid

I am also fiddling with smaller rocks, I know I would need Max 3 of those but I have not managed to get the suitable ones as of now. Maybe tomorrow.

keithgh likes this.
  16. keithgh

Severumkid

Am I correct in saying you are not in a hurry reason being you want to get every thing right and the best you can do with what materials you have?

-serok- likes this.