1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Unnamed 20g long.

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by InfinityMinus1, Sep 18, 2012.

1. InfinityMinus1

InfinityMinus1 Aspiring Aquascaper

Hello everyone. My name is, InfinityMinus1. This is my 20g long planted scape. Today is its first day of life. I plan on adding Java Fern Tridant, Flame moss, and a undecided plant behind the main driftwood, in a few days. Also, I plan on adding more Jungle Val, in the back left corner. The plant up front, is Dwarf Hairgrass. Here are some pictures from Day 1. Tell me what you think!
    100_3584.JPG 100_3585.JPG 100_3586.JPG 100_3587.JPG 100_3588.JPG 100_3591.JPG 100_3593.JPG

Sponsored link:

2. InfinityMinus1

I plan on adding more Jungle Val, in the back left corner. Oops, I meant to type, (Back right corner).

3. abhradip1986

abhradip1986 Aspiring Aquascaper

start up is good i would say, but two things - a) is there going to be CO2 injection in the system? if yes then fine, if not the light is way too much - algae is iminent. 2) is a HOB the only filter? if no then fine, if yes - please change it asap..get one which can target a 10X turn over or else again algae (specially hair algae) is imminent.

And yeah one more thing - keep the anubias in a a shade of another plant, it's a slow grower an' direct high light = BBA on leaves!

4. InfinityMinus1

Thank you! I will be using liqiud c02 (dosed everyday). I will upgrade to pressured c02 later, when I have the extra money. Yes, this is the only filter. What do you mean, by 10X turn over? Its a Aquaclear 30. Meant for tanks up to 30g, 150g/hr. I dont plan on shading the anubias once I get more plants. Thanks for the advice! I do a update next week!

5. InfinityMinus1

Bygone Snag, Bygone Snag Tree, Snag Tree, Forgotten Snag, A Snag, or Lonely Snag. These are some of the names im thinking about. Also, with the water wisteria I had floating, I planted it behind the big piece of wood. Hopefully it will grow and fill in soon, so it shades my anubias. I added some more jungle val, as well.

6. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Hob filters aren't really planted tank friendly on larger tanks, the flow patterns and all the rest are just not right and don't produce enough water column movement.

The 10x turnover is a rule of thumb we use when running hi-tech tanks, the idea being to produce enough flow to break the boundary layer effect and ensure that co2 and ferts are getting to the plants as efficiently as possible, more is generally better, the idea being to get a low pressure laminar flow in which all the plants show visible movement, this is something HOBS typically just do not do. So, if a tank is 60l then a filter no smaller than 600lph would be selected, some like my self prefer more than this to compensate for using in line equipment and lily pipes which don't do much for a filters turnover, I've ran tanks with 30x turnover before and have never had issues with too much flow.

I too would be wary about liquid dosing, not only is it not as good as the real thing and really struggles to provide carbon effectively enough in higher light systems it is actually toxic and will kill some plants, Vallis being one of the most commonly sited as it damaging. A pressurised rig is the best bet for most tanks as light and techniques have moved on a lot since the days of DIY being suitable. If you're using more than one tube and reflectors over a tank then liquid carbon and diy aren't going to be suitable. 2x t5 is more than enough to grow almost any plant commonly encountered in the hobby at this limit and above then you will need pressurised co2.

The scape looks well for a first attempt. If you trim the eleocharis to the substrate now that it's planted you will avoid it dying back and becoming an algae magnet, it's also probably wise to add more plant mass to the tank, any less than 50% of the substrate densely planted at start up and you're inviting algae. In future it's best to have all the plants in the tank all in one go and in sufficient numbers this will make your life so much more easily as the system will be more stable from the off.

Good luck and welcome to ASW.

7. InfinityMinus1

Hello again. Thank you for the info Garuf, and yes, ive been doing a lot of research and I agree with everything you 100%. I really wanna get Pressurised c02 and a ehiem classic 2211 filter, but do not have the extra money right now. Would a power head work for now? I plan on saving up for a c02 system and another filter. Hopefully the scape does ok tell then! I trimmed the Eleocharis down quite a bit and it still seems to be doing well.

I got my Flame Moss and Trident Java Fern from ada last Friday, and got it all planted. Also, I added some Cabomba behind the main piece of wood. Here are some pics from week 1. Enjoy! Now, its time to watch Survivorman!

8. InfinityMinus1

9. gmartins

gmartins New Member

In my experience, HOBs will do fine up to 60-70 L (a good example is FAAO). Above that, it's a bit tricky and more power external filters should be chosen, or at least combining a HOB with koralia or the kind.

Just my two pence

GM

10. InfinityMinus1

So, I added a Aquaclear 20 powerhead. The power head will move an extra 127 gph. There is quite a bit of water movement now. I plan on doing a DIY c02 system, as well. Atleast until I can get a pressured c02 system. You guys were right, I had a huge algae bloom the last two days. I plan on adding a few cherrie shrimp to clean up the mess.

11. InfinityMinus1

Please understand, this is kind of my first, real planted tank. I have a 10g with a low watt T8, but its nothing compared to this 20g long. I feel like im really messing it up. I just wish I would have done a little more research on filters. Also I was I had the extra money for a nice c02 system. I hope nope have real c02 doesnt really mess the tank up.

12. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

Don't feel like you're missing it up, first tanks aren't always easy I know my first one was an unmitigated failure. Things that will make your life easier at this juncture are reducing the light, a single tube for 6 hours will be plenty with liquid carbon dosing and diy co2, don't get brave and run two. Regular big water changes, typically 50% every few days will reduce algae spores in the water column and work from there. Get familiar with James C's planted tank guides, the info is indispensable. Adding a powerhead was a wise move too.

I would suggest that the 2211 would still be well underpowered, off hand I think it turns over 300lph, which would be half of what you would typically need. Personally I'd be looking at a filter like the tetra ex1200 or jbl e900 or similar, they're relatively affordable for what you get and and because I run inline heaters and lily pipes so have to compensate a little for these things that reduce the flow.

Watch ebay for regulators second hand, sometimes you get bargains. There's a thread over on the barr report about dual stage regulators that's worth reading too.

Ahh yes of course but they're successful in very specific situations, notably low light which is what Faao uses with his LED unit suspended high above the tank. They're successful in this role because there is less demand on co2 and therefore flow can be less intense or is less imperative. It's also worth noting that in these scapes typically the filter is located on the side panel never the back which would give better flow characteristics and they're never very complex and have low bioloads. The main problem typically is that the flow is straight downwards and very weak leading to an area that's almost like a plunge pool and zero flow in other parts of the tank, like I say, in lower light this is less of a problem but in highlight tanks having controllable laminar flow is a massive boon.

13. InfinityMinus1

Hey everyone. I apologize for the lack a update and a response, but life has been pretty crazy lately.
    ----
    "Don't feel like you're missing it up, first tanks aren't always easy I know my first one was an unmitigated failure. Things that will make your life easier at this juncture are reducing the light, a single tube for 6 hours will be plenty with liquid carbon dosing and diy co2, don't get brave and run two. Regular big water changes, typically 50% every few days will reduce algae spores in the water column and work from there. Get familiar with James C's planted tank guides, the info is indispensable. Adding a powerhead was a wise move too."

The algae problem is still around, but its a lot more under-control I cut the lights way back and got six amano shrimp. i also add the pleco from my 10g. They are a hard working clean up crew and have been doing a great job! I attached my diy co2 hose to the new powerhead and does a decent job break up and move tiny co2 bubbles around.
    ----
    "I would suggest that the 2211 would still be well underpowered, off hand I think it turns over 300lph, which would be half of what you would typically need. Personally I'd be looking at a filter like the tetra ex1200 or jbl e900 or similar, they're relatively affordable for what you get and and because I run inline heaters and lily pipes so have to compensate a little for these things that reduce the flow.

Watch ebay for regulators second hand, sometimes you get bargains. There's a thread over on the barr report about dual stage regulators that's worth reading too."

Ill probably get a new filter, in Dec. Thanks for a advice on filters. Ill keep those filters in mind!

14. InfinityMinus1

15. InfinityMinus1

In the third picture, you can see my albano pleco, hard at work. The forth picture shows my amano shrimp working hard!! Im thinking about taking out the jungle val and having that whole right side of the tank hairgrass, even behind the fallin piece of wood. Should I keep the cambomba, or put the jungle val were the cambomba is? I want a huge hairgrass plain on the whole right side of the tank.

Id Have The Hairgrass Plain to the bottom and right side of orange line. What do you think?
    Hairgrass plain.JPG

baukeshalmas likes this.
  16. InfinityMinus1

Hello everyone, here are some new photos my 20L
    055.JPG 057.JPG 066.JPG 036.JPG 051.JPG

baukeshalmas likes this.
  17. InfinityMinus1

Hello again. Ive added a fluval canister filter and im now using a good DIY Co2 recipe. I ripped out all the Jungle Val and replaced it with Water Wisteria. My Hairgrass is slow, but surly filling in. Also, im fighting a case of Cyanobactia, and winning!! Here are a few pictures from a few days ago.......... Please tell me what you all think :) 100_3920.JPG 100_3922.JPG 100_3930.JPG

baukeshalmas likes this.
  18. InfinityMinus1

19. InfinityMinus1

Hello all. I look back at this tank, when it was young and see how much ive learned about aquascaping. Personaly, I think ive come a long way.

20. InfinityMinus1

Well, I was going to put up new pictures, but they wont upload......