1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice
  1. Francisco m

Francisco m New Member

I have a uniquarium that is 40galon it has the compartments In the back for the filtration. it has compartments for bio balls and other types of filter. As I understand what bio balls do is add oxxigen to the water and produce good bacteria to kill amonia. I at ached a photo of the foam blocks we have at work. I was thinking of cuting them in squeres 2x2 and using that insted of the ball's. What do u all think? they have a hard coating but the Inside is softer and poris
    all the pices are identical. Any input on this would be awesome.

Attached Files:

2. isla

isla Aspiring Aquascaper

as a newbie , i would not use these ( bioball + foam block ) as filtration substrat
    but without a try or strong experience, who know ?

3. Francisco m

Francisco m New Member

I have read about people using Legos to green army men fom the dollar store. So I'm guessing something that is plastic has a good area coverage might work as bio balls do. Any input on this ?

4. Solcielo lawrencia

Solcielo lawrencia Aspiring Aquascaper

Bioballs do not provide oxygen; it is just a material that allows for nitrifying microbes to colonize.

The foam block does not need to be cut. It can work as long as there is flow through the medium. If there is limited flow, little will be colonized. If there is high flow, and high oxygen, it may form large colonies.

Nitrification cannot occur without oxygen. Oxygen is usually added via surface agitation or airstone, but other methods can be used.

ShadowMac likes this.
  5. Francisco m

Francisco m New Member

Ok thanks for the reply, well the picture I atached shows what the blocks look like I was just thinking of cuting them into cube zise pices to alow me to put more in the compartments. i have a power head for a 60 gallon tank that I'm using to circle the water in the tank. So I'm guessing it will have enough flow of water running true ththe foam.