1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Understanding layout composition of a Iwagumi

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Ricardo Monteiro, Oct 29, 2008.

1. Ricardo Monteiro

Ricardo Monteiro New Member

Hi there,

I´ve decided to start this topic cause there are some things that I hope other´s people knowledge - your knowledge - can make me understand about some specific Iwagumi layout´s. Most specifically about the plants used and their arrangement.

As an example, I´ll show the following images - only two or three, and not a lot of them, since I´ve been collecting every single Iwagumi layout image I find on the web; only the ones I find to be rather challenging to built and delightfull to watch:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here they are.

What I hope is that somebody can explain to me is wich plant´s where used in the first image, cause I dont know if it´s Riccia or HCC, or a mixture of both with a particular kind of moss that creates that look . As for the second image, I´m not sure wether on the plant used on the middle ground to separate the two sets of stones. Likewise to the third image where I dont know if it´s a kind of moss used at the foreground or some other plant like U. graminofolia.

Does anyone know it better? Another question: how to make plants, and most of the times moss, judging by the images, grow int those little gaps that the rocks like Seiryu stone have?

Thanks

2. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

#1: Hc with e.parvula, maybe mixture with riccia and some kind of moss on the stones
    #2: e.vivipara + java moss
    #3: java moss + e.parvula

my opinion :)

to fix the moss on the seriyu stone you actual need any gaps. there different possibilities, one of them is to fixture the moss with a cotton cord, the other one is to glue small peaces of foam on the rock a to fix the moss after on this peace of foam wih the cord. maybe there a re more possibilities, but these are the common - also - after a while you can take the cord away because moss holds itself on the stone with its roots.

3. Ricardo Monteiro

Hi, Jur4ik. Thanks for your intervention

It´s a possibility, although I think it´s a bit more complicated to say wich really are the plants used for the first layout.

About the gaps and the way of growing moss there or some other plant, there has to be another way of growing them... I think. Perhaps by adding some Aquasoil Powder or by using ADA moss ball...

Cheers

Any other opinion ?

4. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

I just want to know where to get these stones.
    I love the second example, you just can't get that look with stuff sold at the LFS.

5. Ricardo Monteiro

It´s Seiryu stone. Fortunately there´s a place here in Portugal where you can order some.

Cheers

6. thief

thief New Member

AFA is out of seiryu stones right now.:sad:

I wanting to get like 40lbs of it! Nice tanks you posted there.

7. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

Why only Seiryu stones??? I would love to go for the rocks available in our local hills. with lots of characters and textures.

8. Al G. Begone

Al G. Begone New Member

tirtha has a good point, there may be some stones around closer geographical areas that may be great, just depends on how they might effect water conditions.
    I have been reading on other forums that Seiryu stones are no longer legal for harvesting from areas in Japan, is anyone else aware of this or can confirm it?

9. thief

thief New Member

Actually I was talking to screen name. ( Used to sell the sieryu stone ) They are infact from china. But it may be possible. I've been researching a little on Suiseki stones. Some look almost identical to seiryu stone and I read that the stones are tug up in this Redish/Clay mud. They also said that now a days these suiseki stones are running low.

Also I found some really nice textured stone only 5min drive away in the woods from me. Only thing is that they are part off boulders and I have no clue how to possibly get them off?

10. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

I thought seiryu is just a brand name to make it sound cool :D it is just look like granite to me :D

11. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

Seiryu stones is nothing like granite. There more like hardened mud/concrete with marks from water-erosion and a little whitish mineral character.

12. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

It may not be a mud, it is really-really hard to break. More like from volcanic ting but I'm not geologist, so you probably right.

Ohko stones is probably from mud.