1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Types of nutrient deficiencies and its symptoms??

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Veerall, Oct 21, 2015.

1. Veerall

Veerall New Member

How to detect whats high or low other than testing?

NITRATE
    PHOSPHATE
    SULPHATE
    CALCIUM
    POTASSIUM
    MAGNESIUM
    IRON
    BORON
    TRACE (csm)

Sponsored link:

2. Solcielo lawrencia

Solcielo lawrencia Aspiring Aquascaper

You can use the plants as a visual guide, but this requires a lot of experience with specific species of plants. Also having working knowledge of chemistry is very helpful.

greenfinger 2 and keithgh like this.
  3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Verrall

I would say "With great difficulty"

This requires a lot of experience and knowledge.

You will learn this as you go along what would certainly help would be join a local Aquarium club and learn that way.

Keith:):)

4. Veerall

Veerall New Member

Whats causing all this?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. keithgh

6. isla

isla Aspiring Aquascaper

do you use ferts ?
    what is the routine ?
    need some more information about the tanks .

7. Veerall

Veerall New Member

Im using pps pro method, i dose 10ml npk and 10ml csmb and 3ml fe chelated everyday. Its 130g, but total water volume is 400liter. Light are on 2hrs in the morning and 5hrs in the evening.

8. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

9. keithgh

Veerall

Can you also reply a full report on your water supply.

Keith:):)

10. Veerall

Veerall New Member

Normal tap water

11. SO19Firearms

SO19Firearms New Member

Look out for Chlorosis etc but usually algae is a sure sign of a deficiency ;) lol

12. Solcielo lawrencia

What's causing it? A micronutrient toxicity.

13. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like you make your own ferts. Telling us the volume you dose will not let anyone know how much of the fert is in the volume. You need to let us know how you make the fert solutions. Post how much in grams you add to what volume of water in your dosing containers. Then we can ascertain how much you are dosing.

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  14. Veerall

Veerall New Member

Well guys i had a crazy outbreak of algae, and stopped dosing everything. I am using dirt substrate method, so i guess i never needed. I now added purigen, carbon and gfo, to remove excess nutrient. Things are coming back in line slowly. I guess i wont dose anything, maybe potassium sulfate max. Need advice if any... thanks for the replies guys..

15. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

it is a common myth that nutrients cause algae. dosing nothing is not a wise solution and can lead to problems.

Icethunder and lucasgg like this.
  16. Solcielo lawrencia

It is not a myth. Nutrients are indeed required for algae to grow and establish and this is very well documented in the scientific literature. But for some reason, aquariums are immune to this phenomenon? I suspect this idea that nutrients don't cause algae came about through very unscientific tests.

Method:
    1. dose as much fertilizers into the aquarium
    2. wait for algae

Results:
    No algae. Erroneous conclusion: nutrients don't cause algae.

Discussion:
    This is not valid for various reasons. What was the concentration of nutrients? What was the observational period? If the nutrients reach toxic levels, then algae would not be able to grow (and I suspect that hair algae is quite susceptible to elevated levels of heavy metals.) If the observational period is too short, there may not be enough time to observe the establishment of algae. Further, certain kinds of algae, such as GDA, GSA, and BBA, have a symbiotic relationship with bacteria. If the bacteria are not present in enough quantities, or are inhibited in some way and cannot produce the necessary nutrients these algae require, then the algae will not establish. Thus, the complex nature of algae cannot be concluded with some unscientific tests, especially when the literature always indicates that nutrients are necessary for algae to grow.

Veerall likes this.
  17. Veerall

Veerall New Member

Yes, after stopping all ferts and removing exces nutrients using purigen carbon gfo, my tank is looking much more healthy. Personally i feel i made a huge mistake of dosing ferts, even though i had used dirt method substrate. Iv had successfully grown stuff using dirt before but i dont know wat was there in my mind tht i used ferts (for red plants) without waiting for a while.

derfliw likes this.
  18. keithgh

Veeral

That is the problem with using some substrates the manufacture "Might" tell you what is added but not what is already in the dirt.

Unless you are a Chemist who understands soils etc you will never know what is in your tank.

Keith:cat::cat:

19. Icethunder

Icethunder Aspiring Aquascaper

Unfortunately many hobbyists are slaves of these facts!
    EI dosing system is very flexible,gives you the ability to focus on issues related to CO2 because it can be difficult for a hobbyist.
    ,,It's important to be aware that there are a variety of factors that can bring the onset of algal blooms which are not related to the dosing scheme. The following are typical causal factors:
    1. Poor CO2 injection methods
    2. Poor flow distribution within the tank.
    3. Poor tank maintenance, i.e. not cleaning filters or detritus buildup in tank.
    4. Overfeeding.
    5. Excessive disturbance of the substrate.,,
    I also agree with this

ShadowMac likes this.
  20. Solcielo lawrencia

What evidence do you have to support these beliefs that can't be explained by something else?

a. Poor CO2 results in problems? MYTH. I've been running less than 10ppm of CO2 in my heavily planted, high light tank for weeks. No algae or plant growth problems. Others have turned off CO2 completely without problems as well. Can you explain why there aren't problems with low or no added CO2? Because high light + low CO2 = algae farm. MTYH!
    b. Poor flow? Define "poor flow". Is 2.5x water volume turnover "poor"? Is 10x turnover "good"? What does flow have to do with it?
    c. Maintenance, overfeeding, substrate disturbance. Why?

Whenever you formulate a theory to explain certain phenomena, it must be based on the preponderance of evidence. Otherwise, it's just hypothesizing. And most of the trendy ideas that are floating around in the hobby right now are not supported by the evidence.
    E.g. 1: adjust light intensity first, then tune other variables. What about plants that need a lot of light? They will die if they don't receive enough.
    E.g. 2: CO2 is the solution to almost all problems. What about tanks that are already injecting 50+ppm of CO2 and plants are still not growing?

Correlations are not causations. Whenever evidence indicates the opposite of the hypothesis, it should not be dismissed as is often the case. It should be used to refine or abandon the hypothesis and then formulate a more accurate view of the phenomena.