1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Tropicana Paradiso - 30 litre Opti-white

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Supercoley1, May 30, 2015.

1. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

Technical Specs:
    30 litre Opti-white aquarium (L 40cm, H 30cm, D 30cm)
    Eheim 2211 (Classic 150) external cannister filter
    AquaEL Leddy Smart Plant 6W Luminaire (8 hours per day)
    Gush O bubble glass outlet and generic 13mm glass inlet.

Fertilisation 0.5ml Lush Max daily

Plants: Ammania Bonsai, Microsorum Pteropus 'Narrow', Proserpinaca Palustrius, Bolbitis Heudelotii, Fissidens Fontanus, Heteranthera Zosterifolia

Substrate: Pool Filter Sand
    Hardscape - Slate Gneiss layered rock pieces.

After saying it was nearly time to take Approaching Snowdon down I think I talked myself into doing it sooner rather than later and so we have Tropicana Paradiso.

Forgive me for the rubbish name. I needed a name to file the photos under and to get this journal up and I wasn't feeling that inspired in terms of names.

As usual the aquascape hasn't cost me anything at all apart from the new light I bought. I didn't need a new light but I liked the look of the light so I had to get it.

The Sand is left over from previous scapes. The rock / stones are the ones that came out of Approaching Snowdon. The plants are from my own stock or pinched from other tanks I have.

The pictures below show the stages of 'building' the scape and yes the time on the oven clock is 9:11pm when I started and 1:29am when I was about to move the scape to its position. I like to aquascape through the night when the wife and kids are out of the way. Less distraction for me and also less disturbance for them. It was about 5:30am when I left the tank and went to bed.

First I put the sand in and sloped it. Then you may see I drew lines with my finger in the sand where I wanted my 'islands' to be. Then I basically dropped most of the stones onto these areas saving some to tidy up the visible sections.

After this I got a lump of bogwood that had a load of Bolbitis on it from another tank. I trimmed off some parts and attached them to another piece of bogwood and placed these on top of the slate islands.

The last part was to tie some Fissidens to some of the saved slate pieces and then position these at the front of the scape. I hope that these will soften the appearance of all the stones and make it look more natural.

Needle Fern plantlets were stuck to some pieces of slate behind the Bolbitis. They will grow to a similar height and add some leaf contrast I hope. The Ammania and Proserpinaca were added in little spots to just do their own thing and the Heteranthera was finally added in the rear.

The photos below were taken before the Heteranthera was added and it isn't visible yet as the Bolbitis blocks it.

Overall I am very happy with the layout. The 'pathway' is a little more central than I had planned but not totally central and I think it looks nice and clean. The light is really cool and I'm glad I bought it.

In terms of livestock I am going to add some Pygmy Corys (Pygmaeus) or if I can find them some dwarf Corys (Hastatus) and I will be transferring my Caridina Simoni Simoni to this tank.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

greenfinger 2, keithgh and alex08 like this.
  2. nicpapa

nicpapa Aspiring Aquascaper

Nice setup...
    Its a litle symmetric the islands. :)
    You can move the left island to front glass, the righ at back glass and make biger the left island wiht biger rocks.
    With thath you can increase the depth.:)

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

The most important point about your Aquascape is you like it so what if the path is a little of centre, its the overall picture that counts and that will not be known until all the plants are established.

Actually I like it very much it looks so natural.

Keith:):)

4. Supercoley1

I don't mind comments about the path being central. I get them every time I scape. I just prefer things like that :)

keithgh likes this.
  5. nicpapa

nicpapa Aspiring Aquascaper

Haha ok :)

6. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Supercoley, Great little Scape :love: You are really cooking with this scape :D Its KIS at it best (y)

7. Supercoley1

Very simple indeed :) Hopefully it will remain simple too.

Thought I would just add some pics of the Simoni Simoni shrimp and the Heteranthera added in the rear.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

moss_maniac and greenfinger 2 like this.
  8. keithgh

Supercoley

The difference between your pathway and many of the central pathways is the shape its not the standard big bell shape, yours has character as it winds through the rocks and disappears around the corner.

Central can be very useful if its done correctly and that takes experience and a good eye.

Those rocks are look great when they are over grown with those plants.

I like the last photo of the Shrimp and the rocks.

9. jasonperry

jasonperry Aspiring Aquascaper

Nice tank overall simplicity and chrisp be grate to see this in a few months time :)

keithgh likes this.
  10. keithgh

Supercoley

How is the Aquascape progressing?

11. Supercoley1

Sorry guys, went through another period of 'couldn't be bothered with anything'.

The scape is still together although the Bolbitus suffered with me not dosing for months. I have pruned it back this week to just the healthy leaves and will update the journal soon. Will hopefully be back on the forums a lot more again. I have to force myself to do anything these days. Just can't seem to get motivated to do anything other than wake up and go to sleep. lol

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  12. keithgh

I know that feeling very much been there and done that lately, but I am feeling a lot better now.

Because of a loss of concentration I went within 30seconds to 1minute of burning our home down

Keith:cat::cat:

13. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Supercoley, Glad to hear you have your mojo back :) Looking forward to your updated (y)