1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Trimming Bolbitis

Discussion in 'Aquatic Plants' started by ColeMan, May 24, 2008.

1. ColeMan

ColeMan New Member

Can anyone give some pointers on trimming bolbitis? Should one trim a stem all the way down to the rhizome or remove leaves? Can you "top" a fern like you would a stem plant to induce more vigorous growth?

2. Aquaspot World

Aquaspot World New Member

New leaves will only grow out from the rhizomes. Whole leaves should be removed when trimming.

3. ColeMan

ColeMan New Member

Is there any way to encourage more vigorous/denser growth?

4. Roy Deki

Roy Deki New Member

It is a bit on the slow side as far as growth goes. Be patient and trim any older leaves all the way down to the rhizome. Regular trimming is a way to promote more healthier fronds to start growing. This also encourages smaller and more fronds.

5. ColeMan

ColeMan New Member

Thanks, Roy. I figured there wasn't much to do in the way of trimming, but I do know that some terrestrial (and aquatic) plants respond to "topping," putting on massive new growth from 2 new shoots rather than the one original apical meristem. Let me ask you this: if you had a 4-5" rhizome that had multiple leaves obviously grown in low light conditions, how many leaves should one leave on to promote both a healthy plant and new leaf growth? It would seem like the more leaves, the more the plant would be able to photosythesize, so the more leaves would be produced and, since they were growing under high light (the new leaves), general growth patterns would be overall much denser. Is this an accurate train of thought?

6. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Interesting thoughts.

To promote the best growth in terms of leaves and denseness, leave as many leaves on the rhizome as you can. The energy photosynthesized from the leaves will feed the rhizome (which is the powerhouse of this particular plant). The rhizome will grow longer and produce more leaves as it does. This will create a more lush looking plant.

A few months ago, I received a hitchhiker 2 inch Bolbitis rhizome which has grown into good dvd box sized plant. It's grown with limited attention. No trimming, etc. I think it's benefiting from directly light, and placement right next to the CO2 diffuser. I can see it pearling all the time.

-John N.