1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Tree on a Scree

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by randy0319, Jul 16, 2011.

1. randy0319

randy0319 Aspiring Aquascaper

Hey folks,

A good friend took this pic of my latest tank "tree on a scree" (rocks falling in cascade down a hill). It is a common sight in the Uinta Mtns. here in Utah. The pic is a little over exposed but I hope that it helps convey the expansive mood of a high mtn hilltop with a lone knarled tree during Indian Summer as stuff just slightly starts turning colors. I bought a digital and tripod but still need to figure out how it all works and get the tank ready for its foraml shooting.

Specs: Lights; 3-two ft. HO( 1-6,500, 1-10,ooo, complimentary bulb)
    Filter Pennplax cannister
    Substrate DYI-kitty litter, top soil, gravel, Sand, left over aquarium flourite substrate.
    Ferts: dry mix with H2O and dosed twice weekly
    power head hidden (hopefully)
    Fauna: Pitbull Pleco-1 used to be 2 but 'it became one with the tank", 2 SAE's, 6 Amano shrimp, hand raised fancy tail guppies and othe FT's
    Flora: hydrocotyle verticillata (tree leaves), echinodorus tenellus, dwarf hair grass, licinmachia numilaria (creeping jenny), rotala indica, Microsolenium tenerum, riccia fluitans, Crpytocoryne red and green

Drift wood and Neice rock (type of quartsite shist?).

I have added a bunch of jenny to the far lower right corner since the pic was taken and I like it so I will try to document it in other pics. Sorry for the hardware but friends keep coming in when I'm not quite ready for pics (none of the hardware has been taken out and I still needed to clean the glass etc. etc. )

Anyway let me know what you think and best wishes to all---R :Happy::Happy:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Randy

In my opinion the aquascape proportion are perfection.

Working from nature and framing it correctly it is impossible to go wrong.

One question what is the name of the plant that is on the higher branches please.

Keith

3. randy0319

Thank you and best wishes to you. The 'leaves' of the tree are hydrocotyle ( Brazilian penny wort). I have tied them with fishing line to the 'limbs' and trimmed them to act as bunches of leaves. The roots don't seem to hang too low and the plant seems not to require soil like others of its type. Its bright shartuce color and shape seemed to lend itself to the making of the tree. I hope that you try it and share your creations of how you work with this amazing plant. Thanks again---R

4. pupa

pupa New Member

wonderful....
    i like the hardscape

5. randy0319

thank you pupa.
    I just added more pics e-mailed from my friend. Critiques are welcome. Just a beginner here so advice is valuable.

6. Peanut8787

Peanut8787 New Member

This is and will be a very stunning aquascape work. Well done

7. randy0319

thank you peanut. I just got through doing my first formal shoot of my chinese landscape. It sucks but there is a learning curve. I will post them now. Also, critiques are welcome since I am a beginner and need direction etc. Let the comments fly....

8. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Very good for a self-professed beginner. I would like to see a wide angle shot of the layout.

-John N.

9. randy0319

I will do my best. My next project is to try my hand at taking formal shot of it and see what happens using different backgroundsand lighting. Im not sure how you folks pegged me as a 'senior aquascaper' (title below my avatar). I know better...HAHa! My brilliant mistakes and algae failers prove it! Can I be redesignated as a beginner again?...I'm a beginner and proud of it. Also, the first pic in the series is the widest angle I could get but I'll try again for you. Best wishes---R

10. Anish_a

Anish_a New Member

Nice scape..............i guess the photographs are not doing justice to the tank. the click could have been much better.....:)

Anish

11. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

I like it Randy. And you were asking me for advice a few months ago???? I think I should be asking you :)

Well done

Andy

12. randy0319

supercoley....you are going to make me blush!.... Thanks to Anish -I agree but she was taking the pics and mine of the chinese Mtn scape are worse. That is my next Mtn to climb...best wishes---R