1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Toninas can revolutionize aquascaping

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by John N., Apr 15, 2008.

1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

I was thinking about this topic a little bit more as I was looking through the Aquascaping Showcase.

You know something I haven't seen besides a full devoted aquascape to toninas species, is a barren type aquascape. What do I mean by that? Well, I'm picturing a desert type aquascape or something similar. An aquascape that may consisting of all sand with high valleys, with maybe a few Eriocaulons or Downoi plants poking out of the ground.

Thousands of people visit the Grand Canyon in Arizona for it's beauty and as far as I know it has limited plant life and the beauty of the area lies in the barren canyons. Has this been done before? If not, should we explore aquascaping into this direction and mimic something like this using planted aquariums? Maybe a new style can develop from it?

-John N.

Sponsored link:

2. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

Wow John, and I say WOW on two counts
    1) That would be a cool scape, I think you need to do one to show us just exactly what you are talking about, it would be WOW.

2) Wow, AZ and the Grand Canyon with "Limited Plant Life"
    WOW, up by the Grand Canyon in Coconino national forest, Flagstaff, Williams, plant life is abundant like WOW abundant.

3. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

This would be a cool idea John!! I think it would have a lot of potential!!

4. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

LOL, I've never been to Arizonia but for whatever reason everytime I picture it all I see is the iconic Grand Canyon. Maybe it's time for a vacation! I need to branch out a bit. :)

I do think this barren scape/style would be extremely interesting. It relies on mastering hardscaping and sand/hill placements, and not so much on plants. But I'm sure a true aquascaping guru could find the delicate balance of both worlds, and have those accenting plants appear as the main focus. I hope someone creates something like this. This could be a tip of a new style here that is sharply different from fully planted tanks.

Here's a scape from Octopus that struck my thought process on this. Mind you this beautiful scape is only the size of your palm, literally. (see it in the Showcase).

[​IMG]

-John N.

5. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Its crazy how he creates something so small like that and it look really good.

6. Octopus

Octopus New Member

Tonina fluviatilis from my tank. IMO very difficult plant...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]