1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Toninas can revolutionize aquascaping

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by John N., Apr 15, 2008.

1. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

If you watch American idol, or some other talent show, the judges often say "We're looking for that something that makes you stand out as a star. We're looking for that 'X factor'." Does your aquascape have an X Factor?

Aquascaping layouts have become one dimensional. I know there are many who share this sentiment, and believe that too many aquascaperes are trying to emulate the popular Amano Nature Aquarium Style. Though there is nothing really wrong with aquascaping to what's current and what we are told/believe to be beautiful, there comes a point where many aquascapes seem to blend into one another. So what can an aquascaper do to get that "X Factor" in their aquascape?

Well, one thing I haven't seen in many aquacapes are the use of Toninas species. Theses are the more difficult species of plants to grow, but if an aquacape has a forest of Toninas incorporated into a more traditional aquascape, I believe they could make their aquascape stand out. What would be even better to see is an aquascape focused around Toninas and maybe Eriocaulons species as a foreground. The possibilities for innovation are endless, and I believe this is a style that could be far more beautiful and striking then the more traditional styles we've come to know. What do you think?

-John N.

Sponsored link:

2. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

I love Tonina's, I have kept fluvaltis succesfully and used it before.
    I am awaiting a package with Manaus and Belem now along with Erio's (cinereum's) and plan to do a 20 long with all three of the tonina's, as many erio's as I can get and going to try UG for the ground cover. That is the current plan for the 20 long I have sitting in my house right now.

I have some Rotala mini's that I am needing to propagate out somewhere so they might get into the scape also.

3. Anti-Pjerrot

Anti-Pjerrot New Member

4. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

I think (from what i briefly read and nothing against Steven at all) that strengthens John's statements about scapes being one dimensional.
    I have seen many very attractive tanks that use these plants very effectivly. (Dutch and Dutch / Nature mixes).
    Now to a Judge looking for the BEST AMANO COPY, it might not be good, right or considered PRETTY, but to me (what the hell do I know anyway:-") I think it is something that is now NOT THE NORM, I.E. different and to me that is what is exciting in this hobby and on forums.

5. John N.

According to the link posted, I can see how Toninas and Eriocaulons species can look very unnatural in an Amano Nature Aquarium due to their leaf shapes, and sharp lines. Maybe these plants are more natural looking in a Dutch Mix as goalcreas stated. My point is I think using these plants as a focal pieces (like some people use Java Fern or HC in Nature aquariums) would make a scape very unique. A well done aquascape using mainly these species haven't been done as far as I know. If it has I would love it see it, and if it hasn't I hope someone out there will be the first to inspire us all.

These plants are strikingly beautiful and very difficult to grow. Beauty and difficulty happen to be grading components for an aquascaping judge. If a scape consisted well placed Tonina and Eriocaulons species, I think it would do very well in a competition and more people would try to emulate it.

-John N.

6. plantbrain

plantbrain Aspiring Aquascaper

Tonias are nice plants, I initially did not really care for some species, they grew too fast or looked too much like Egerias.

The belem and manaus are nice varieties.
    Most plants get used any no# of ways, but that's really what you can pull off nicely.

Gardening is something that you must like to do and be in the mood, set aside the time to do it.

But if you are willing, you can trim the heck out of many typical mid and background plants for the foreground.
    But after a few years, you get tired of it:)

I suppose Amano is no different, he choses plants based on where they are best suited for labor and if you neglect trimming. It's fine to break that rule, however.

I doubt Amano would disagree either.

Regards,
    Tom Barr

7. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

Just got my Manaus in the mail today.
    The seller really packaged the plants better then I had ever seen before and the health of these plants was 2nd to none (got some erio cinereum also) and I have only floated them in the tank for tonight and they have opened up to full awesome beauty, I think they are the finest plants I have ever seen and I am just sooooo excited about using these in my tank right now.
    I will post a pic when I plant them, but they might just get a temp home in my 30 cube for a while?

8. John N.

Goalcreas, the 30 cube sounds like its becoming a holding tank for plants. :) I can't wait to see how you plant and develop the tonina in your layout.

Tom, you bring up and interesting point about Amano's plant selection. Has he ever done a scape with Toninas or Eriocaulons species? I bet if he started using and developing scapes with these plants they would become another staple to aquascaping much like what he did with popularizing glosso and Amano shrimp.

-John N.

9. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

John, here is the thing, I just spent a bunch of money on some plants and they are coming in, and I was going to be setting up an empty 20 long this weekend for them, but the thing is, I just found out that I am moving back to HB, CA in about 6 weeks, so I am not setting it up.
    I do want to grow out 2 stems of it and a couple of stems of some others and I am giving the rest to a member to propogate for me so that he can send me some when I get settled and ready for them, but I really want to grow a couple of these plants and I am not going to get to complete this 30:-s all the way, so I guess I will just see what I can do.

10. George Farmer

George Farmer Aspiring Aquascaper

I've not seen any Toninas or Eriocaulon in the UK at all.

Is it true they require soft water?

11. John N.

I have pretty hard water here GH 12 KH 10 last time I checked. Only until I started using Aquasoil which made the water softer (3 and 4) did I have success with Toninas and Eriocaulon. Otherwise, they would turn brown and die. So I would say they do require softer water to thrive. Tonina belem grews quickly and a bit "weedy.

I'm surprised to hear that it's not available in the UK after all this time. Maybe that's why they haven't become popular in aquascapes? The UK and other folks maybe haven't had the chance to grow these beautiful plants.

-John N.

12. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

I grow them in pure RO

13. waterfaller1

waterfaller1 New Member

Can you post some pictures of them?

14. goalcreas

goalcreas New Member

I don't have any growing right now.
    I just got in some yesterday but have yet to plant any and unfortunately I am giving all but two stems away since I will be moving soon.

These plants I got are super healthy and look great so once I plant them later today if I still have time and energy, I can take a snap shot or two.

But the tank in this link has all of the three common tonina's in it. It is a nice tank.
    My 45 tall revamp

15. waterfaller1

waterfaller1 New Member

Are they the ones with pointed leaves? Are they hard to find?

16. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Any one have any pics of these? Tonina

17. John N.

Tonina 'Belem" from Octopus

[​IMG]

-John N.

18. Octopus

Octopus New Member

[FONT=&quot]Tonina is one of my favorite plant. I use this plant very often in my creations. [/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot]But this plant is demanding and I don’t recommend to beginners.
    [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot][​IMG]
    [/FONT]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. waterfaller1

waterfaller1 New Member

Awesome pictures and beautiful, healthy plant. Thanks for sharing your wonderful photos.

20. Chadly

Chadly New Member

tonina belem look a lot like a very dense stargrass. beautiful plant IMO.