1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Tom's ADA Mini M

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by TomMessenger, Mar 9, 2011.

1. TomMessenger

TomMessenger New Member

Hi all,
    Just thought I'd post up some pictures to kick-start a journal over here. Over on UKAPS my journal has been going for a little while.

Basically I got myself a Mini M and Aquasoil, Powersand (for what it's worth), ADA forest sand, and some ferts from The Green Machine, and set up the tank for a dry start. It sat with just hardscape for months before I had the funds and equipment to set it all up.

Here's the tank shortly after planting with HC and E. tenellus
    [​IMG]

The HC was growing in nicely, but the tenellus was struggling at this point. Some Lilaeopsis was added in with the tenellus, as were some stems of R. rotundifolia.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Once I was happy that the plants had rooted and were growing (some a lot more than others!), I filled the tank. I think this was around a month into the setup. Please excuse my dirty pipes!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The old tenellus growth pretty much 100% died off, but new leaves were coming through which was good. I also added some R. 'green' into the mix.
    [​IMG]

Wide angle shot from a few days ago
    [​IMG]

And this morning, with new H. micranthemoides added :) This is two weeks into the filled scape. I have some diatoms on the rocks, but it does seem to be receding :) Just need to keep those stems in check now!
    [​IMG]

Thanks for looking. I hope to keep updating this alongside my UKAPS journal :D

Tom

Sponsored link:

2. lalmeida

lalmeida New Member

Hi Tom,

Welcome to ASW. :welcome:
    You're doing a good job. Great hardscape arrangement. What are those stones?

lalmeida

3. TomMessenger

TomMessenger New Member

Thanks lalmeida, the rocks are collected from a river near the shop where I got the tank (Llangollen, Wales)

Tom

4. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

Hi Tom,
    nice tank :proud:
    I´m sure the diatoms will soon disappear and then you will have a clean and lush little nano. Do you have other tanks as well?

5. TomMessenger

TomMessenger New Member

Yes, hopefully the diatoms will be gone soon :) I'm not sure how long the Aquasoil leeches ammonia for, but it's been two weeks so far with 50% daily water changes so it shouldn't be long. Filter is more than adequate too, it's an Eheim Ecco Pro 300 ;)

I have a small Do!aqua 20cm cube as well at the moment. Other than that, I have a 180 liter tank with a Monotrete baileyi who I've had for 5 years now. I've had a few different nano scapes, mostly 2-3 years ago now.

Tom

6. blue whale

blue whale Aspiring Aquascaper

Nice looking tank Tom..cheers..

7. LondonDragon

LondonDragon Aspiring Aquascaper

Nice to see you here also Tom ;) tank is taking a nice shape, love the rock work ;)

8. Jurijs mit JS

what ferts do you use on this one? ADA?

9. Scorpio

Scorpio New Member

Nice scape.

10. TomMessenger

TomMessenger New Member

Juri, I am using ADA Brighty K and Step one as the base for this tank, as well as Green Gain on water changes (so, daily!). For macros (which I quickly saw the need for), I am dosing Spezial N and KH2PO4.

Here's a better shot from yesterday

[​IMG]

Thanks,
    Tom

11. Jurijs mit JS

You already have less diatoms.
    nice photography by the way, what camera do you use?

12. TomMessenger

TomMessenger New Member

Hi again Juri, I thought I had replied to the camera question already, but obviously not. I use a Canon 5D with EF 24-70 F2.8.

I added some Amano Shrimp and Otos yesterday to hopefully clean up the remaining diatoms. The shrimp have settled right in, but the Otos are taking some more time to settle in and haven't started grazing on the algae yet.

Just looking, there is more significant improvement on the diatoms on the rocks again today which I am very happy about. Hopefully the Otos will settle in well and finish it off. The 'stringy' type of diatoms are the more prominent now, particularly on the larger patch of HC on the left. That makes sense as parts of it are still melting and re-growing. The shrimp are on the pathway at the moment cleaning bits from between the rocks.

Couple of quick shots from this morning. Please click for larger images in Flickr.

Diatom improvement
    [​IMG]

Oto - pretty skinny, I hope they eat something!
    [​IMG]

Amano Shrimp - happily cleaning the path.
    [​IMG]

Tom

13. Jurijs mit JS

Hi Tom,
    thanks for the Camera info.

Lovely detail shots, keep up the journal :113:

14. TomMessenger

TomMessenger New Member

I've just ordered a 24w Phillips 6500K compact T5 from Lampspecs to replace my current 18w T5. I've noticed that the lower parts of the stems are pretty scraggly. I used 24w before on this size tank, with good effect so I will do it again. Also, I'm wondering if the current light is responsible for my struggling HC particularly on one side. The 'bad' side is the one at the end where the bulb fits into the holder, and probably doesn't get as much light. The longer 24w bulb will give a better spread of light.

Oh, and these Amano Shrimp are nightmares for spreading my Aquasoil all over the sand!

Just some pre and post trim photos. Had a good clearout this morning, trimming all the stems and tidying the HC. The HM on the left had more or less completely melted, so I have re-planted with trimmings from the other side. Hopefully this time it will grow a bit better. I've had to re-tie some of the moss too as the cotton dissolved and strategically place it to try and stop the Amanos from pouring the Aquasoil all over the sand!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tom

15. Jurijs mit JS

looks like the diatoms are gone, good job :proud:
    Can you show your lamp please?

16. TomMessenger

TomMessenger New Member

Here you go. It's nothing special, just a 24w starter unit and the new 24w bulb now fitted. The old 18w bulb is at the front.

[​IMG]

I was going to try and imitate the ADA Mini Solar light, but I couldn't find anyone that would cut me the metal parts required so I left it as the 'bare bones' unit. I was going to have a metal base under the tank and a metal light shade that covered the existing reflector.

Thanks,
    Tom

17. Garuf

Garuf Moderator Staff Member

I didn't realise your light jig was this clever! Very nice, very nice indeed. I've always had a soft spot for ingenuity.

18. TomMessenger

TomMessenger New Member

Thanks Garuf, it could be prettier if I had those extra parts, but it does the job. Swivels 360 degrees too which is good for maintenance.

19. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

Did you DIY your light? look very nice

20. TomMessenger

TomMessenger New Member

Yeah it's DIY. Thanks :)