1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Tom Barr's 120 Gallon Dutch version 2.0

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by plantbrain, Jan 26, 2014.

1. plantbrain

plantbrain Aspiring Aquascaper

Inching along closer:

[​IMG]

nick.scott and Tanatloc like this.

Sponsored link:

2. plantbrain

I struggled with how to best place the Blood vomits in this scape, they needed their own row, but squeezing them in would not look good for that.
    They sort of looked like belem grass as they fatten up and started making side shoots. So I figured I'd just sell them off, I thought maybe 20 plants would be all I'd have, started with 11, but.........looks like I had 2x or more of that. So if it'ds like belem grass, which I really have nothign like that in the scape, I needed t offer a different section altogether, so I trimmed some of the UG, sold that, then added a few thin pieces of wood as borders and now I've got good placement.

The L. wavy fine leaf delicate plant, well, still trying to find a nice home for that, it's not going to stay there. I'll fatten up the L sphaerocarpa and make it wider up front etc.

I'm happy with the Blood vomits though, a very nice Erio like plant. Good seller too, I sold 20 plants in 45 minutes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. plantbrain

Pondering adding another plant in front of the Downoi, but.......I might pull the entire front edge back all thr way across about 1" and keep it clean and trimmed. The E. hydropiper looks fine pressed up against the glass, the Boodvomits I'm not concerned about.
    I am havign trouble thinking of a good contrast plant for the corner, weedy stuff is out, have to be fine textured and darker, red or dark green, mosses, I have a little Weeping moss there on a stick.
    Monte carlo, but it mounds up, Gloss is decent, but too common.

Piluaria americana is one option. A nice little heterosporus fern native to my region, actually down the street in a vernal pool next to the railroad tracks. Bright green grass like fern. I have to wait for spring.

[​IMG]

EH is coming along and I've spread the patch some. I assume dit was a high light demanding plant, or would grow much better with the light cranked, well, it's been shaded due to the growth of other plants, and in the front, and it's down very well. Mostly a good, finer sediment to get well rooted into.

Areas to work on:
    Sygnonanthus on the left will get a couple of more trims before the group is optimal
    I drilled 10 more 1/2" holes into the wood and added more Ricciardia. The livewort grows out much nicer and easier vs tying with cotton string. Cotton works well for the mosses, less so for this one.
    Blood vomits will fatten up and get much denser in another 2 months or so.
    I'll need to harvest the Erio compressum and replant.
    Erio type 3, the gaint Erio setaceum, in the rear right corner is doign much better and it will take maybe another 2-3 months to fill that section well. Not the fastest recovery plant.
    Find a home for the Limnophila wavy guinea. Nice plant, I also have a couple of stems of Hottonia palustris I can use in a similar spot, texture etc. The wavy is a whiter green though, I have always liked it, but it's more suited to nature style, but a nice group like where the S. madiera is on the side next to the stump roots coming down would do well. But the plant is not worth as much compared the S maderia, so......and there's not much space of changes I can make at this point without harming another group. This will allow me to spread the L sphaerocarpa wider in the front, which helps depth perspective.
    I may remove the Fissiden branches and replace with Ricciardia. I may keep a branch or two of the Fissidens though in 1-2 spots.

4. Toothloose

Toothloose Aspiring Aquascaper

Really awesome tank you got there with one of the nicest plant varieties I have ever seen. Really nice work.
    Looks really big too compared with your little daughter :)
    May I ask what the plant in the left front corner of your tank is called? The carpet with the very small two leafed branches.

Grts, Toothloose

5. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Plantbrain, Fab looking plants :cool: Superb planting as always :rolleyes:(y)

6. reims

reims New Member

stunning as always! ;)(y)

7. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

It's refreshing to see such vibrant colors popping in your layout.

Is "Blood vomits" for real? Meaning the layman's term for a plant, or something you made up? ;)

-John N.

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  8. hviviers75

hviviers75 New Member

Wow awesome colors , what lights are you running?

9. plantbrain

Elatine hydropiper, sort like HC, but smaller even and a bit more like mini Gloss than mini Pearlweed(HC). Not easy to get to root, but once it does, it does well, and is an easier plant to manage, and highly sot after.

The aquarium is as much as a working farm(Shrimp sales= livestock, and plants= crops) as it is a scape and an array of eclectic species. I sell quite a bit of $ each month out of this tank.

Toothloose likes this.
  10. plantbrain

Common name for the Australian plant, Trithuria sp. I find it nicer than the other prostrate Erios, smaller, more like a hairgrass. Not sure who came up with the common name.

Colors are just whatever they are. I have maxed the CO2/ferts, care............so all that's left was the light bulbs. I've tried many combos to arrive at this color I now have, which produces the nicest reds I've had thus far. I use to have a whiter bluer color mix, but changed to match another tank I had that consistently produced better reds and growth while still doing well for the green plants. Even after you take the plants out and compare, they were easily redder in a neutral light.

Bulb combo front to back:

Giesemann aqua flora
    Zoomed Flora
    Wavepoint Sunwave
    URI Red sun
    Wavepoint red wave
    Wavepoint Sunwave
    Zoomed Flora
    Gieseman Aquaflora

2 pinkish whites, 3 pinks, a red and 2 Blue whites.

John N. likes this.
  11. plantbrain

See above for the bulbs, the fixture is an ATI 8x54W with a dimmer controllers for dawn to dusk simulation. I ramp over 1 hour from 0% to 100%, then the last hour, 100%- 0%. CO2 comes on with the lights, then shuts off 20 minutes before the lights go off. Total light period is 8 hours, including the 2 dimming end nodes. So full blast for about 6.5 hours energy wise according to the Kill a Watt meter.

ShadowMac likes this.
  12. plantbrain

The tank today:
    [​IMG]

I redid the Trithuria, blood vomit section and will treat it like hair grass basically, it's like a red based Belem hair grass etc.
    I think it now looks much better against the wood vs lost next to other plants.
    Also added more Mini Pellia and decided to add more of that throughout the scape.
    Hottonia will have a small rown hanging over the Trithuria and be pressed outward b the A. reineckii mini.
    This will offer some needed contrast in this central area. I wanted to use the Limnophila guinea wavy, but I might use it elsewhere at some point later.
    For now, the Limnophila has no home in this tank.

Erio Type 3 is doing better and better, but it's hard to tell from the pics.
    It's growing as it should. Making a nice larger group of this plant is not easy
    But at this point, it's just patience.
    Same for the other plants.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Trithuria species against the wood. This will fill in be 2-3 months from now pretty thick. I'm good with this position for the plant and was never happy prior.
    So it'll stay here for awhile I suspect.

[​IMG]

13. plantbrain

Some labeling of the Sygonanthus varieties I have here, all of which are the same species, but other varieties.

[​IMG]

14. plantbrain

15. plantbrain

Some detail on how I use a drill and add Riccardia and do not use cotton string. the mesh like form of the plant acts like a spring to hold the plant in place, then it grows out nicely from there.

[​IMG]

Here's some algae from about 6 weeks ago when the CO2 ran out. BBA popped up and it was very minor. Some leaves got a tinge, they were trimmed off, the wood got a few tiny bits, and most were removed.
    [​IMG]

MikolajW and ShadowMac like this.
  16. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

This tank is spectacular, Tom. Thanks for sharing it with us at ASW!

17. plantbrain

Give me another 2-3 more months, it should be doing real nice in terms of 3-4 of the groups which are not yet trimmed and filled in nicely yet.
    Certainly better than the 1st and 2nd hardscape versions of the tank.

18. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I really enjoy the color combinations. I look forward to seeing it in a few months.

19. plantbrain

Water is hazy from cleaning the sponge block filters once every 3 months or so.
    Cleared up a bit more than I thought it might after I 1st did it.

Top view:
    [​IMG]

You can see a nice crown of the Erio type 3 here.

[​IMG]

You can see smaller runty rattier ones, but they are getting better and will form a nice top crown and keep doing this for now on.
    Maybe another 2 months or so, the section will be nice and full of nice large crows, roughly 4" across. In the deep corn there, the Limnophila wavy guinea I stuffed in the back, but it should do fine back there and is a bit different from the Erio. I might mix a red plant to break the green green color scheme between them, but it's not needed since you cannot see it that easily. So that brings up a question, why have it if you cannot see it much? Sort of a bank of plants in case I decide to change or move something else without ripping up too much stuff.

20. aliclarke86

aliclarke86 Aspiring Aquascaper

Tom. Do you sleep? Ha you seem to maintain all these beautiful tanks plus all the cycling and music..... Your a damn machine

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk