1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Thread/string algea ?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by tinkerman, May 11, 2008.

1. JDowns

JDowns New Member

The only things that come to mind.

That is alot of lighting.

I really have to question CO2. How are you delivering it to the aquarium?

Is the XP4 your only filtration?

Sponsored link:

2. tinkerman

tinkerman New Member

Yes the rena xp4 is the only filter on the tank I wish I had money to get a second xp 3 or xp4. Co2 is delivered to the tank by a 200 gph powerhead on each end of the tank spraying tward the center. The drop checker is reading a yellow green today finally, benn upping it slowly for a week or so. I checked my fert fegimine out last night and seen I'm adding about 10 ppm N, 2.3 ppm P, and 35 ppm K every other day. So I figured out what I need to add to get 20 ppm N, 2 ppm P, and 20 ppm K soI may try this the next couple weeks. I've tried the 3 day blackout already with little effect and sunrise sunset effect with about 6 hrs with all lights on and didn't effect it much iether.

3. tinkerman

tinkerman New Member

here are a few pics.

Attached Files:

4. JDowns

JDowns New Member

I think if you get the CO2 in line with the amount of light you are using you will start to see a vast improvement.

Don't rely so much on the color, I have to push mine to a nice yellow, and I don't see any ill effects on livestock. But every tank will be unique. I simply use the color as a quick check to make sure its the same as the day before, ie consistancy. Make your changes slowly over time and ultimately watch the livestock.

Only reason I ask about the filtration is I see in my large tank just how much extra gunk gets pulled out every two weeks that is not in the main canister. Plus I had to boost my canister with a 950gph pump or the amount of filth was unbearable.

But IMO the root cause is high light and not enough CO2.

Hopefully you get it in check soon and I wish you luck.

5. tinkerman

tinkerman New Member

Update. I have cut back light to 4x 96watt cf, flow cosists of rena xp4 2 hydor 2's (1 230 gph and 1 300 gph pumps for co2). I upped fert dosing to 3 tsp nitrates, 3/8 tsp phosphates, 3/4 tsp potassium, and 3/8 tsp plantex. I just finished a 3 day black out which went pretty well as I did it a little diff this time. I used cardboard instead of black garbage bags, kept fertdosing but doubled amount, 50% w/c dayly, added 1 ml pr gal of hydrogen peroxide. The hydrogen peroxide worked great all algea looks dead, the only drawback was the riccia didn't seem to do very well with it as 95% turned white floated to the top there are green tips that are still growing so I am ganna let it float till it long enough to trim. I will update in a couple weeks and tell of success or failure.