1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Thinking about lights for 172 gallon tank

Discussion in 'Lighting Requirements' started by Zeus, Sep 13, 2016.

1. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi all

Still at the early stage of my tank and havnt decided on which flora to go for it is going to be freshwater. The tank size is 60"x 30"x 30" ( 152 x 76 x 76cm ) that will be 786 litres, was initially looking at a bit bigger but due to size off access and cost going down size a bit. The tank will have braces and sliding glass the hood can be lidded or open with the design I have chosen. Yes the glass reduces the Par but great for winter and summer months i could leave the sliding glass off which would help stimulate the natural winter and summer light intensity to some degree, well thats my initial thought anyway

The Tank is being used as a room divder and will be seen from from and back hence I'm after a little wider than 24in so a bit more depth to scape both views

Do like the Kessils A160we Tuna Suns but they only have a max 24 in diameter beam yes I can increase the hieght of the light unit but the Par will drop like mad the other option would be to drop the unit so the beam diameter is 15in increase the PAR and have eight units lighting the tank, two rows 15in apart and 30in aprt in the length which would do it nicely but the cost.

The cheaper option of some T5 or T8 in muliple banks so 30in width isnt an issue and could be used with the same hood but have used these years ago and access to the tank though the hood is a pain.

Plus also thinking about the light penetration which a recon will be upto 28inchs of water in areas

Your thoughts/input/advice

Zeus

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Larger tanks are tough. I would probably say to look at what is available in the LED area. I've heard mixed reviews on the Kessils. Funny, I was recently looking into swapping out my ATI for some LED pendants, but was talked out of it by Viktor Lantos ( a knowledgeable and accomplished aquascaper from Hungary). The reason he cited was that many of the available LEDs couldn't really compete with the ATI T5 fixture I had. It is powerful and flexible. It can be dimmed and programmed etc. A feature I love. I only run it at 40% over my current scape and get great growth and color.

George Farmer's recent home scape uses the Kessils and it is doing very well at 50% power. Of course not a tank of that size, but they'll grow plants well enough.

Take a look at Eco Tech, Kessils, and others. Also think about what plants you plan to have and if you will be using pressurized CO2. These are important considerations when deciding how much light you need.

Is there any reason you want a hood? Hoods are so...unfashionable. Open rimless tanks are much more beautiful and make caring for them easier. Pendants hanging from the ceiling would look stunning over a big beautiful tank.

3. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

well my quote for tank

60” x 30” x 30” (L x H x W) Glass tank
    12mm glass
    Double base
    Polished edges
    Silicone clear or black
    Cover glass
    Cabinet (all sides finished)
    Hood
    Polystyrene
    Price £1126

and rimless
    60” x 30” x 30” (L x H x W) Glass tank
    19mm glass (Braceless)
    Double base
    Polished edges
    Silicone clear or black
    Cover glass
    Cabinet (all sides finished)
    Hood
    Polystyrene
    Price £2719.75

and i can get opti glass on the fist tank for an extra £250 for three sides how much that would cost for the 19mm bracelees tank I dunno, but I have to agree with what you said they do look great

Will look into those lights (y)

and I do plan to get CO2 only had a quick look at them so far :rolleyes:

still working on base height to fit the filter a fluval FX6 would make tank too high in room so seeing what height the Fluval FX4 will made base and been onto Fluval about adding a voltage regulator to pump so can adjust water flow

4. ShadowMac

Yeah, that price difference will do it. :eek: I just remembered another brand that was recommended to me when I was looking. The AquaticLife Halo pendant LEDs.

I don't know if those Fluvals will be able to do the job on a big tank alone....maybe four of them. Canisters are notoriously oversold in their capabilities and what tanks they should be equipped on. For fish only tanks it might be okay...but with lots of plants and hardscape you lose flow and a very good biofiltration system in these higher energy tanks makes a world of difference in growth and health of the entire system. Have you considered a sump system instead?

For comparison, I used to use an eheim 2076 (330 gph rating) on my 48 gallon 90 cm tank. The flow rating was garbage...it wasn't doing the job. It wasn't moving water at that rate. So I finally broke down and upgraded to an ADA superjet. While I know it is like a ludicrous price for a luxury piece of equipment... it taught me something I didn't realize. The superjet was rated less than the eheim, but it moved water like it was supposed to because it used a top mounted pressure rated pump. Standard commercial canisters suck, so you have to go really big with them and the bigger the tank the more difficult it is to scale the canisters up to the task. The filter change has been incredible for the health of my tank. with sumps you can get pressure rated pumps to move the water and scale it to meet your needs without breaking the budget. Something to think about.

J Art likes this.
  5. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Yes I was going to go down the sump route until I worked out the height of the based needed, to high for the room. I want to look direct into tank at eye level sat down, not with base of tank 750mm to 8oomm off the ground, so base of tank ideally would be 500mm (550mm max) concrete floor so no cellar. room next door - don't want it in the hall, a cupboard would be too big in hall and look a mess. Have been weighing up making DIY canister and getting one or two eheim compact+2000 £54 each but its finding the piping/fitting difficult using 110mm drain pipe is cheap but to get the media capacity to anything decent requires a long length difficult when base height only 500mm, Larger diameter piping can be got but difficult to get suitable fittings and pipe soon gets expensive, the largest i found is 400mm pipes but fitting selection poor. Even been looking at pond canisters for conversion. and using the eheim compact+2000 with them. can pick up a 23l pond pressure canister for about £68 with UV light could run them in series or parallel or separate pumps to each canister

The other option is to go for smaller tank OFC 60in x 24in x 24in - price of rimless would be much cheaper than bigger one tank not as deep so base can be higher might be able to fit sump in, lights easier

Lots to think about

6. J Art

J Art Aspiring Aquascaper

This is a fun stage of the game. The more you plan, the better of you'll be. Don't rush into anything and continue getting good advice, it will pay off in the end.

Those are some huge tank dimensions. What are you planning on planting?

7. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

To be honest I havent got to that stage yet just working with the tank size and the Hardware to get it to work.

8. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

9. Zeus

Zeus Aspiring Aquascaper

Even with going for a 24" high tank the base is too high in room :(

Had an idea get tank 60"x 24" x 24" Have the base made to the best height for room 500- 580mm Get it a braceless/rimless tank and on side off tank against wall convert 12" of tank to internal sump Like in the Aqua one Nano range - internal sump.PNG
    and have a eheim compact 1000 or 2000 in the sump side, sump would be about 100litres. The width of the internal sump could be whatever OFC. As to the size/number of the compartments well have, do it as we see fit :D

so would end up with tank to use 48" x 24" x 24" with a glass lid I could use or not just like the Aqua one Nano range.

10. ShadowMac

That is an interesting solution. With one end against the wall if you put it there it wouldn't even be very noticeable. Lots of scape possibilities with it remain with it.

A DIY canister filter series underneath the cabinet would also be a good option. There may not be much to find in the freshwater realm, but you'd be surprised what those clever reefers come up with. Might want to peruse some of their info just to see...there might be an interesting solution for your challenges. Also, there are some outfits that custom make reef equipment, they may be able to custom build a canister and you can choose a good pressure rated pump to meet your needs. I considered this at one time before biting the bullet on the super jet. I'm still curious about it.

11. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Zeus

This is the best advice any one could give you particularly if its a DIY.

Any updates please with costings if possible.

Keith:cat::cat: