1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Thief's ADA Mini M Tank.

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by thief, May 10, 2008.

1. thief

thief New Member

Hi all,

Well today I received my Wood. Since I got this first I chose to make a nice branchy tank. I have sieryu stone coming soon so that just gives me another reason to get started on another tank.:-"

Ok to start off I got my inspiration from a tank in the ADA Gallery on the AFA Site: http://www.adana-usa.com/images/gallery02/7.jpg

All the way to the right this tank really inspired by it's lush green and how nature it looks with the wood covered in mosses.

I plan to keep this journal picture intensive. Why well so I can trace my own steps again one day. Also might be a nice little guide to give beginner's like me something to go by and learn from.

Last week I receive my ADA Mini M tank and as soon as I heard the truck my heart raced to the door. The tank was more beautiful in person. I've only seen 2 ADA tanks at a fish store and I must say the craftsmanship it worth every penny. So of course after getting the tank I ordered Landscape Materials. I have the wood and now I'm wanting some seiryu stone.

On to the tank.
    [​IMG]

Here you can see I am trying to get my photos to sort of look like it is inside the tank. I read about this in an article here and I found that is makes a huge difference in photography.
    [​IMG]

Here is step by step photos to give you an idea of what I did and how.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On to powered AS Original Amazonian.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Pictures of the wood I got. Very nice wood.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Starting to put wood in tank.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok now I found the look I'm going for. I tie some pieces with a Tie Strap. I think this helps so when I go to plant it will be easier to not screw up all the pieces and having to rearrange them all over again.

[​IMG]

I now add a flash because my natural light is gone.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10 minutes later I find that the right side with the piece on the ground does not look good so I add another piece to the other side on the ground to balance it out.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Ok so what do you think of the scape?

I am having troubles with trying to make the picture feel more into the tank. In person the tank look wonderful but in the pictures in seems kind of dull and not as much depth in the wood and such. Please tell me if you like my photography? I am looking to improve. With my dad being a professional Photographer he knows a lot about ISO, Shutter Speed, Lighting, and such. I find it hard to remember a lot of the stuff.

Right now I am confused a little. for Specs on Lighting and filtration. For filtration I am thinking of just getting a Azoo Mini HOB filter.

For lighting I have no clue were to start. I want a open top tank and I can't hang from the sealing. So I need something to fit on top of the tank such as a light with legs. I am looking for something nice but not expensive. Any ideas? The sooner I get the light the sooner I can get planting. Ohh and I don't think I'm rushing. Ive been reading 4-5 months looking and reading so I think I know a good deal now.

I will be running my tanks on DIY CO2. I will buy and 5Lbs container when I have more tanks up and running as I plan to use a manifold.
    I will be using no ferts at all and plan to use mostly mosses in this tank. Also plan to make this into a shrimp breeder tank.

Well I think this is enough info and Q's. Please ask any questions and critism and comments are welcome. Oh and happy mothers day!

Sponsored link:

2. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Looking good. What plants are you going to be using?

3. dirrtybirdy

dirrtybirdy New Member

for lighting i would suggest looking for a coralife on ebay. i got my 24 inch dual light for $60 shipped

4. thief

thief New Member

Oh thanks dirtybird. I will check that out. And sounds like a good price.

For plants I have no clue. I want a mossy look like the AFA Picture above. I like the looks of willow, tiawan, and java moss. Which do you think? I have little experience but I want the plants to flow together. Also what do you think I should put on the base of the tank?

Well I just finished boiling the wood. Lol 1:00Am. Yes Ive been doing this all day. Stated at 6pm and now it's bed time at 1:30Am. Since I boiled the wood I had to take the pieces out. I made a more pleasing layout. It's the same layout but the positioning is different so now I think the branches flow much better and isn't as wild looking but more natural.

5. waterfaller1

waterfaller1 New Member

Very nice so far! I look forward to seeing it come together.

6. Roy Deki

Roy Deki New Member

So far it looks great...I hope the wood sinks for you. Looks like you may have to soak them first.

7. thief

thief New Member

Waterfaller1: Thanks for your comment. I find your tanks very inspiring.

Roy Deki: Well yesterday I spent from 8:00 to 1:00 just boiling the wood. Alto of it soaked, and then sank into the pot. I was surprise about the color they turn when wet. A lot of them are blackish/brown. I was happy s I love the look of the ADA Old Black Wood and I find the color change very pleasing.

Well I couldn't go to sleep last night so I id some searching on ebay. There are no 14" fixtures. I found a 13" fixture though. Anyone have a clue what would go good?

Thanks for all the comments guys. Keep them coming.

8. trenac

trenac New Member

Looking good so far... Looking forward to seeing it planted.

9. Guillermo

Guillermo New Member

Nice start thief, wood's arrangement is very promising, it'll look great planted.

Cheers

10. thief

thief New Member

Hey guys,
    Welp this week has been so tiring. Literally didn't get any rest this weekend as I had to work from 6am-7pm. But today I did manage to get some photos of the Final Layout of the HardScape. I got a bunch of inspirational magazines and it helped me with positioning my driftwood.
    [​IMG]

I got my seiryu stones last Thursday too. I plan to order more as I am not happy with all them. But I will be using these for my next tank.
    [​IMG]

In case if you were wondering where all these tanks will go. Well here s one of the 3 shelf's. That is a 2.5 Iwagami test tank that's been running for a couple months. I planted HC recently and it is starting to grow a little.
    [​IMG]

So now onto the Hardscape.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As you can see I move around some of the pieces to adjust to the left side of the tank. I wanted to position some pieces on the right side to try and create a flow from the left to the right. It may need a little tweak but this is what it is now.

Today I did a lot of searching for light systems. I saw one light in the #150 Aqua Journal. In it is a contest of ADA Nano contest 2007 Thailand. I saw a picture of a light that fitted perfectly on top of the ADA Mini M. So I googled for aquarium lighting and about a hour of searching I found this site: STS - Aquarium light - Products - Guangdong BOYU Aquarium Industries Co.,Ltd.

In this site there are many lights. I contacted the company and hopefully they will tell me which one would fit best on my ADA Mini M. So if this works this might help others who are looking for nice lighting. Of course I do not know how much it is but I would think it is under a $100. I will keep you updated on this.

Also I've been looking a many mosses. I want moss that will look like a nice carpet on the wood pieces. Any suggestions? Taiwan Moss, Willow, Java, Peacock? Some insight on this would be appreciated. I am still looking at pictures for plants to put in the back, Mid ground, and foreground. for for ground do you think a combination of HC and Glosso would work? I really nice how they looking when tangled in each other, such as one of Amano's Iwagami tanks, where from what I can tell he uses Glosso, HC, and Riccia combined to make a wild and very natural looking carpet.

Other wise thanks for reading and Help, comments would really help. Any experienced Scapers here with plant suggestions would be helpful.:ehhh:

11. Orlando

Orlando Supporting Member

What a great photo journal..Well done:)

12. Dan Pellegrini

Dan Pellegrini New Member

your wood arrangement looks very good - my only advice would be to make sure you have the proper clearance around the glass to keep it clean - in other words keep the wood off of the glass. Nothing is worse than getting it all settled in and THEN realizing that you need to move the wood because it is a maintenance nightmare - speaking from experience on that one...

another common technique is to add rocks around the base of the wood - both to help it stay down and as part of the hardscape, though it would probably just disappear in your plants :)

13. thief

thief New Member

This is a quote from planted tank on my update. Just thought I should post it here too.

14. thief

thief New Member

Here is another Quote.

15. thief

thief New Member

Update-

Orlando- Thanks for commenting. I plan to order some tools from you. So finally I can find out how good your products are. Also might think about buying a Pressurized CO2 setup.

Dan Pellegrini- Thanks for your nice comment, I have been working on the glass. Right now I am keeping them around an inch away from the glass. The sides though are going to stay. I like the feeling of some of the wood sticking out as I think it makes the tank look alot more inspiring when seen in person.

I have been talking to my father and he said that he will think about buying the Solar Mini, And I can tell he is going to say yes, as I worked my butt off this year and next year is only going to be harder. I am taking Chemistry and if I do good chemistry 2 in the same year. So i feel proud as I am already a year ahead in science courses.

Only thing is that I am going to have to wait 2 weeks until the end off school. So right now everything is going slow.

Big news is that I am planning to order a 60-P as they are the ultimate ADA tank, and some more Seiryu stones with more AquaSoil. What I have been doing lately as I said in the quotes is prepare the tank to be filled so the driftwood does not float up.

My 2.5 Gallon has been running pretty good. I don't know if this is bad but I leave my 18watt light on from 6:45 AM to 10.30 PM. What amazes me is that I see people all the time with algea problems and yet I only have a minor case of it on the glass for the last 4-5 months it's been up and running.

Any more suggestion and comments are welcomed. I should be paying you guys just to say something. lol

16. thief

thief New Member

Hey all,

Well yesterday Tuesday on the last day of school. I arrived home around 1 and the UPS Truck came. I ran down to the door and watch the truck sit there as the guy a savaging in the back. Waiting for almost 5 minutes and then he brought a huge package. Of coarse adrenaline running through me and chatting to the UPS guy.

Anyways took him 3 trips from his UPS truck to bring 4 packages to me. The first box was big but not that heavy. Then the 2nd was about 50 pounds I would say. Pretty heavy. Then The 3rd box was the same size the Mini M was. Just so you know this is after 3 hours of playing tackle football with my friends so I was really worn out. So the pictures are quick and not the best but the best I can do at the time.

I hope you enjoy the photos as I think it will help give you more of an idea of how it is receiving them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Me and Jeff been talking and he really stresses the beauty of this tank so I decided to give it a try. Yep the ADA Classic 60x30x35 Cube Garden "Mist"
    [​IMG]
    Packaging is the best I've every seen!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Weird stuff I thought it was dirty but it just dry's out and becomes the whitish backround.
    [​IMG]
    Jeff's Finger Prints. :p:eek::roll:lolol.

Now onto the other boxes.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Some superge for my diffusers that are getting Algae on them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    My Toes Are famous!

[​IMG]
    Got to clean this mess up.

[​IMG]
    A little better!

Ok well that was Tuesday and this is today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The light is amazing!!! Seriously it not only looks good but the light that is given out looks so different then the other lights I have.

Just so you know I didn't have to pay a penny for it. My dad got it as a gift for doing so hard in school. I think I deserve it!!!

[​IMG]
    Now I am just playing with the flash trying to get good lighting.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Well that's all the photos for today.

Ok now for the talkin.

Tank Specs so far are:

Tank: ADA Mini M 5.5 Gallon
    Lighting: ADA Solar Mini
    Filter: Red Sea Nano Filter
    Substrate: ADA Amozonian ll and Amozonian Powder.
    Decor: Manazati (sp?) Wood, With some temporary Sieryu stones weighing the wood down for maybe 2-3 days.

Ok now here are the plans. Ok right now I am letting the substrate air out and the wood sink. Probably everything will be done by Friday. So after this I plan to takeout the rocks re position the wood to it's correct form. Then I will empty most of the water, Add the finishing touches of substrate, add plants, then fill it back up slowly. Then work from there.

But this is where I REALLY need advice from all of you guys. Plants, Plants, and Plants. I have been doing little research on the plants. I been looking at the ADA 2008 Catalogue and approximently on the 19 page this is the tank I would like to create. The tank with the Bolivian Cichlids I believe they are called. I mostly need help nowing the forground plant and the 2 backround plants with the rotalilia (sp?)

But these are the plant choices I've choosen so far:
    Forground: Mix of HC and Glosso with a touch of Echinodorus Tenellus.
    MidGround: Eleocharis Parvula, and maybe some Blyxa Japonica.
    In the middle of driftwood: Narrow Leaf Java Fern
    Then on the driftwood I thought Willow would be to big and messy looking so I saw a plant that I really like that is Cladophora Sp.
    Now this is where I need suggestions and advice. Also I would like to know how to properly plant, trim, and grow these plants.

Thanks for looking guys and I really hope I can get some help and comments on what you think.

17. nash

nash New Member

nice journal.... :D
    can wait the plant is inside the tank...
    the equipment looks awesome...

18. Pat7676

Pat7676 New Member

Where did all the pics go?

19. thief

thief New Member

Hey Dash,
    Today I will be ordering a Canister filter so I can put some Lily Pipes in here. Also today I am trying to look through tanks and find out the plant choices for the background. Also the forground seems debatable. I really think Glosso would fit this tanks jungle look it will have. HC is really nice but too un-natural looking.

Pat did you try waiting for them to load? It took me about a minute for all of them to load up completely.

ANyways I think the driftwood is almost done soaking. Right now is the hardest part for me. Getting the plants. Any site that could supply 5 or 6 of the plants I listed above would be appreciated.

20. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

Good going. :plane:

For the plants choice I have couple of names in mind.

For background, Rolala Macaranda Green(Niddle leaf) and Red.
    For Midground, Niddle Leaf Java Fern and a small bush of HM
    For foreground, Glosso will be good but I would give a try on Marselia Minuta. And for sure some mosses on the wood scape.

All the best!! :)