1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

The Wild Dutchman and the "fish room"

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by ShadowMac, Aug 21, 2015.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

Thought I would take a little time to share my fish room and the 55 gallon tank I've named "The Wild Dutchman". The tank is home to various plants, mostly stems, that I keep while my display scapes are up and running. It is always helpful to have some plants on hand. I've recently cut down on the number of plants I keep submerged because plant availability is improving and I no longer feel like it would be difficult or expensive to buy them when needed.

Over the years I've gathered an assortment of equipment, most goes unused, but can serve as a back up or could be needed from time to time. A hospital tank is easily thrown up or housing for additional fish or shrimp not living in one of my few display tanks. The room also serves as a nice place to tinker with different things.

Some photos:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

It's nice seeing a fellow aquascapist's setup. Thanks for sharing.

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Shawn

That is a tank many members would love to have in their home.

I recently sold every thing I had gathered over too many years only good thing it gave me extra money to do other things around our home.

How big is that area?

Keith:):)

4. ShadowMac

It is not very big. It is a utility room which houses the furnace, breaker panels, and hot water heater. Its probably 5 feet wide by 12 feet long. There is one tall bit of shelves I did not show.

I used to use a 20 gallon as the stock tank, but after holding some fish for a retired colleague while he moved to Florida...I had the 55. For a time I was using the 20 to house low light crypts and anubias...but found it not worth the effort. The crypts actually grow fine in a container and so do the anubias. I've used riccia as a wet base for the anubias and it is working really nice. The only pain will be removing the riccia when I want to use the anubias.

So now its just the 55 that houses plants. Makes life easier to not have so many tanks running. It is also good practice for trimming techniques and learning how to get the different plants in balance. The one thing I have learned is there is nothing wrong with frequent select trimming. If something isn't in line, trim it...no need to wait for the entire bunch to grow out. Continuous little tweeks like this keep the bunches in order. At least for fast growing stems that bunch well.

5. Beagle

Beagle Aspiring Aquascaper

That tank looks absolutely amazing!!! :D Jealous of your skills! I can't really tell from the pics, are you running CO2 in this tank?

ShadowMac likes this.
  6. ShadowMac

thank you, years of practice ;) yes it is running CO2

7. nicpapa

nicpapa Aspiring Aquascaper

Shawn im doing the same, but i have the plants in shrimps tanks... :)
    So i keep diferents shrimp and plants.

Plants look healty.
    Some plants need to change place, some overgrown and its ready for aga contest. :)
    Are you overdosing co2?
    What ferts are you using?

I start some wabikusa to try emersed.
    Now im keeping ~70-80 difference plants.
    Here is a litle difficult to find plants.
    You can find only the easy plants , from tropica.

8. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Shawn

Looks like you have created a bit of interest about your fish room.

Do you have any idea of the cost running that room?

The furnace would also help in keeping every thing warm or is that used only in the colder months?

Keith:):)

9. ShadowMac

The furnace kicks in on cold days...usually the months between October and May. The basement where the room is located stays on the cooler side year round. The room is probably 68-70 most days.

10. ShadowMac

I am not overdosing CO2. That was something I considered, but hasn't been needed. I also have a bunch of shrimp culled from my display tank in there now...so I watch the CO2 more closely than before. Drop checker shows green to light green. PAR is somewhere around 120 near the midline of the tank. I could probably back of the light and be fine, but with the depth and the amount of shading the stems create...I wanted enough light to reach the lower levels.

The tank is a work in progress and nothing scaped in too much seriousness. I've been tinkering with the plants a little and need to pick up another bushy green plant so I do not use one species in two places. It will need a series of trims to look its best.

I use my own DIY solutions, EI daily. I don't really dose regularly though. Its more like random interval dosing with EI daily dosages ;) Water changes are usually every 2-3 weeks.

keithgh likes this.
  11. nicpapa

nicpapa Aspiring Aquascaper

Nice... :)
    I want to try my own diy solutions , and i started with shrimp tanks to see how its going.
    With Εi daily wat the ppm you want?
    You are going with the calculator?
    Mine in shrimp tanks i dose like ei but in a lower targets.
    Plants going fine...
    Targets are.
    1-2ppm no3
    5ppm k
    0.1 ppm fe
    0.2 po4

12. ShadowMac

Honestly, I've never been one to shoot for a ppm. I use a calculator to estimate the EI daily dosages for the solution, so it is standard EI range. Then I back off dosing until I see anything that makes me think I could be running into deficiencies or algae problems related to lack of ferts for the plants. Since my dosing is irregular, I am not sure what the ppm ends up at. A guess would say it is 1/3rd EI ranges since it gets dosed a couple times a week without regular water changes, but I do not know for sure.

Making my own solutions is very cheap. Although, I did really like the Aquavitro line from Seachem and have considered going back.

I wanted to mention @Solcielo lawrencia , the pinnatifida in this tank has nice healthy leaves with no pinholes. Tap water is used and fairly infrequent dosing. I can get a PAR measure at the pinnatifida if you are interested, probably 60-80 mmol....maybe lower with the shading now.

nicpapa likes this.
  13. Solcielo lawrencia

Solcielo lawrencia Aspiring Aquascaper

Yeah, I was thinking the H. pinnatifida looked really good. I haven't seen growth that nice in my tank in about a year. I'd be interested in the PAR if it's not too much trouble.