1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

The Forgotten Valley - 60l

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by aaronnorth, Jul 12, 2008.

1. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

Here is my tank, I thought i would show you it, it is my first real attemt at a planted tank, i have gone with the proper equipment needed.

2.5ml TPN+ daily
    pressurized CO2 by Fire Extinghuisher
    36w PC T5 (2.5WPG)

windelov fern
    micerantherum Micranthemoides
    dwarf hairgrass
    java fern
    dwarf riccia
    weeping moss
    Pogostemon Helferi

endlers
    RCS
    Otto's
    ramshorn snails

50% w/c weekly

this is how it started and the pictures show how it has progressed:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I am going to be getting a plant for the left side behind the rocks to give it a bit more height, a UKAPS member is sending me some mexican oakleaf to try, not sure if it will go though?

enjoy8)

Sponsored link:

2. Roy Deki

Roy Deki New Member

Very nice Aaron, You have a good "eye" for this hobby. Good job and please keep us updated!!!

3. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

I'm not sure how Mexican Oakleaf will look with the scape. To me you need something with wider leaves to go with the rocks since they're so dominate. I'm think swords or a large thicket of java fern.

-John N.

4. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

I am not either, someone is sending me some free though so i might aswell try it, my next option if it isnt right is more java fern.

|Got my FE set up and running properly tday :)

5. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

Everything is growing mega quick now the pressurized CO2 is running smoothly! You cant tell someone how good it is until you have used it. Someone had turned the large knob on the reg and emptied my bottle :evil: but i got one the next day from Dan on UKAPS (thanks).

Everything is growing well except the java fern. i have had it 6 months now, it came with 1 leaf on the rhizome and i am up to 4 :( It's slow growing but this just takes the michael! Any reasons?

I also took out the dwarf hairgrass, it was to formerly arranged.

The MM has filled in nicely but i still dont know what plant to use in the back left? any suggestions? I was thinking about a large thicket of java fern. someone has offered me some mexican oakleaf but i dont know whether it will go well with this scape?

My mums got the camera so i will get a picture later.

Thanks, Aaron

6. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

Pics as promised, all the plants have been trimmed earlier this morning, the riccia is doing great,

[​IMG]
    I changed the WB on this one
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I did try a pararama shot but i did it the wrong way round :lol: :oops:

[​IMG]

I will do another sometime or i might just edit this one

7. Hannes85

Hannes85 New Member

Like it! Very nice planned. But don't forget to cut the Riccia back. Its a lot of work, and i've banned it out.>:)

8. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

i was told expect monthly maitenance - so far at has been every 2 weeks :( good in a way!

9. XPLOSV

XPLOSV New Member

I like it :)

Good job.

For riccia I normally let it float or tie it on a small round pebble sink.

10. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

microsorum pteropus 'narrow' has come this morning from AE (thanks), just needs attaching to something now then i will post a full tank shot. i also bought some proper back blackground so there are no more lines that you could see on the previous one. The outside thermometer has gone with a bit of elbow grease, i dont know how you can move them! On the packaging it said removemable :roll: They only record the glass or room temperatur anyeay heater is set a 24/25C and that was saying 28C :shock:
    [​IMG]
    Thanks for looking.

11. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

I invested in a grid for the riccia, looks neater now but it is too high so next ime i will cut it in half. The MM has taken off now as i gave it a good prune last weekend, excuse the P.Hekferi which is so neatly placed, it will change - i am just waiting for the plantlets to get a bit larger.
    [​IMG]
    The patch on the grid is where some Riccia fell off :angry:
    I also moved the 2 outer rocks slightly as reccomended by George, i like the right hand rock as you can now see a bit more shape to it.

12. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

well i was doing my weekly maintenace and i decided to seperate all the P.Helferi plants, looking more natural now. I also halfed the riccia grids which also looks better. I took some of my sand out as it went anerobic, hopefully this will help. Everything is growing better than before. I did an 80% w/c incase of any NH3 spikes, i will also do a 50% w/c tommorow aswell as trimming the MM. My mum went to fetch a chinese and on the way back she saw smoke in the feild (nursing home field)next to us (you can probobaly guess whats coming) Anyway it looked like a bonfire (thought they might of been burning off some grass or something) so i ran upstairs and there were a fair bit of smoke coming from a tree, then all of a sudden flames started to appear :crazy: anyway i phoned the Fire brigade and they were out in 4 minutes. after 25mins they had been & gone, took them as long to wind the hose back up as it did to put the fire out lol. They had to jump over the fence and have a good 200-300metre walk. I got a few pics:
    THEY ARRIVE:
    [​IMG]
    CLOSE UP:
    [​IMG]
    THE FIRE:
    [​IMG]
    THE FIELD:
    [​IMG]
    PACKING UP & CROWD GATHERING:
    [​IMG]

Respect for the Notts fire Team :nod:
    Thanks for looking!

13. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

some pics of the tank this time!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    enjoy :)

14. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

the HC arrived today (thanks Mark) i never realised how small the leaves were!!! I knew they were smaller than glosso but i never knew they were that small. It took me 2 hours to plant it all (ouch, my back & neck :( ) it looks good though and i think it will compliment the scape well. He also sent me some E.Tennulus which i positioned behind the microsorum pteropus narrow. Excuse the pics, i really couldnt be bothered lol
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    comments & critique welcome :)

15. Jurijs mit JS

Jurijs mit JS Admin Staff Member

have you done your pics with a mobile phone camera? looks like VGA quality :lol:
    tank looks good ;)

16. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

no, just the normal 3.2mp that i have used throughout this. I was tired/ stressed after planting the HC lol so i just took a quick pic. I didnt change any settings on it etc. I will post a better one up once it grows in slightly.

Thanks, aaron

17. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

good news HC is pearling
    Bad news i have lost my tweesers :(
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The HC has produced new shoots so all is good

18. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

Update:
    I have took the windelov fern out and will be using more pogostemon helferi in its place to kee the midground simple, HC is filling in nicely as are the stems, bushing out really well now.
    i have upped the dosing to 10ml daily and there is a remarkable difference!
    Unfortunatley this wont be ready for the AGA competition (deadline is monday 15th :( ) i really hought it would ake it but the CO2 running out while i was away really set it back when i got BBA everywhere :( Maybe next year :)

[​IMG]
    Excuse the mess (it is bloodworm :blush: )
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

20. aaronnorth

aaronnorth New Member

it has been a month since last photo's so time for another update, i have lowered dosing from 10ml to 5ml, to see how it go's :) growth is insane at the moment, HM is at top every week :blink:

here is a macro of the hemanthius micranthemoides pearling :) ( i just like playing with the camera lol) i will get a FTS tonight or maybe tommorow.

[​IMG]

Thanks for looking! :)

Aaron