1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

The Clearance

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by Original, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Original

Original Aspiring Aquascaper

Hello again!

After a long time of neglecting my tank, due to work and people and holidays, it got a mess, my Blyxa Japonica took off like wildfire and took over. I then sold this Blyxa on Ebay and made a small fee which didn't make a dent in the tank/ hardscape/ plant overall costs, but it was nice to say the least.

So its basically just been a propagation tank for months. Now I've cleared things up, hence the name 'The Clearance'! I've got round to adding my Sumatran driftwood which I bought about 4 months ago and just left in a recycling tub soaking (needed to do something with it it was about £16 a piece).

So here we go, no fish yet as I gave my ember tetras away (they were hiding in the Blyxa jungle anyhow).

So very sparse at the moment, with only:
    Fauna: 7 Amano's
    Flora: Blyxa Japonica
    Hardscape: Sumatran driftwood

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Original

The plans:
    Two vitro tubs of Eleocharis Parvula for the foreground on order;
    Microsorum Pteropus ‘Philippine’ fern,
    Microsorum Pteropus - Narrow leaved java fern

which are all heading my way, I'd like something to fill in the mid ground gaps that wont go crazy I was thinking anubias or crypts? also maybe some HC or Xmas/ Java moss to hide the cable ties? those ties are wonderful that wood structure is sturdy as a rock! what would go well anyone? I love suggestion!

And fauna, I saw some lovely large or 'jumbo' cardinals at the LFS, upon arriving the next week they had all gone but four! I want about 8 or 10. I'm pretty fixated on cardinals and have only ever kept neons before. Although the LFS did stock some penguin tetras which I also liked although a little large imo for this tank, and they seem very jumpy judging by their twitching and I could imagine them flying right out this tank. They do group nicely all pointing upward though.

I'll go next week and request some larger cardinals, not the 'golden' or 'diamond' variety without the neon stripe I'm not keen on those in comparison.

As always, comments, advice, criticism all welcomed :)

3. Original

[​IMG][​IMG]

Lets hope that Eleocharis takes root.
    I'm going to get an Anubias Nana or two for the gaps between the wood.

Any thoughts?

4. Original

EDIT - Now 50% have passed away, found floating, skeletons stripped by shimp or stuck to the intake!! thats 8 left out of 18. my co2 bubble indicator is a very light green, maybe its just a bit too much for the fish? they don't seem to be hanging around the top - surely the amano's would be hit hardest by too much co2 right?? I guess they've had months to acclimatise...

So yeah - I can only presume I've caused a Holocaust with the co2, out of 18 Cardinals I have four left, I've turned co2 down just hoping not to have an algae outbreak, I've had to fight dead tetras from Amano shrimps with a stick.. they dispose of WHATEVER is left.. they're great cleaners and hardier than cardinal tetras in terms of respiratory system it seems?

Anyone?

5. Original

6. Original

[​IMG]

Slowly getting there... Plan is to let the foreground become more established before cutting back, as its lacking a little on the left hand side. Or is it best to trim it now, putting down new runners? I don't know.

Anyone?

nick.scott likes this.
  7. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Original, Looking good :cool: IMO a light trim would do no harm will make plant send out more runners ;) Plus you can always cut off some new runners on RH side and replant on LH side So planting will catch up With RH side Hope all go's well:)

8. Rmac

Rmac Aspiring Aquascaper

I'm not sure about trimming the DHG (and would like to know myself) but your tank is coming along beautifully!

9. John N.

John N. Administrator Staff Member

Nice progression. I like it. Looking forward to more.

John

10. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Original

I was not sure of what you were intending to do and I can see now that you have put a lot of thought into that tank.

Dont forget to keep trimming it other wise it will look like an average planted tank.

Keith:):)

11. Original

Thanks for the kind words,

Keith, I was unsure as to what I was doing as well, I had a pile of soaked wood and a tank. I figured, nothing is really planned in nature so just threw the wood in there and decided to plant around that, I'm pretty happy with how its progressing so far. A little problem with diatom algae but apart from that going nicely.

12. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Origional

What are you doing to remove that algae.

Keith:):)