1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

The changing trend of aquascaping

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by severumkid, Nov 20, 2012.

1. severumkid

severumkid Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi!

I am not talking about different styles of aquascaping. I am talking about a more recent but sure change that has happened. I am sure you have noticed more and more people are making landscapes in side their aquarium. I believe this is due to the fear of repeatation, Lets hear more on this from all of you who have an opinion about this and lets understand where we are heading.

2. Greg Johnston

Greg Johnston New Member

I am currently brand new to the world of aquascaping. As for me i want to get into because i found The Green Machine's posts on YouTube and it all just looked so cool and i started thinking of things i could do with my current fish tanks and the one i will need to buy for my quickly growing Bala sharks. The idea that i came up with for once i get the hang of it is not something i have seen done however i wasn't really trying to stay away from the very select view of what i have seen. I'm quite simply getting involved just because all of the ones i have seen look so amazing and i would enjoy trying my hand at it.

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Aquascaping

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Aquascaping is the craft of arranging aquatic plants, as well as rocks, stones, cavework, or driftwood, in an aesthetically pleasing manner within an aquarium—in effect, gardening under water. Aquascape designs include a number of distinct styles, including the gardenlike Dutch style and the Japanese-inspired nature style.[1] Typically, an aquascape houses fish as well as plants, although it is possible to create an aquascape with plants only, or with rockwork or other hardscape and no plants.
    Although the primary aim of aquascaping is to create an artful underwater landscape, the technical aspects of aquatic plant maintenance must also be taken into consideration. Many factors must be balanced in the closed system of an aquarium tank to ensure the success of an aquascape. These factors include filtration, maintaining carbon dioxide at levels sufficient to support photosynthesis underwater, substrate and fertilization, lighting, and algae control.[2]

I don't think it has any thing to do with change that is what aquascaping is under water land scapes.

Keith:):):)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2015
  4. Raul-7

Raul-7 New Member

Don't mean to revive an old thread, but if you look at the AGA contest over the years - there seems to be a modern push towards replicating terrestrial landscapes underwanter. While its refreshing; it seems unnatural.

5. Supercoley1

Supercoley1 Moderator Staff Member

That Wikipedia article is a bit presumptuous IMO. It seems to have changed the interpretation of aquascape to suit the modern ideal.

The primary aim of aquascaping IS NOT to create an 'artful underwater landscape' (with landscape being my main gripe about this statement.)

That sentence should read 'The primary aim of aquascaping is to create an aesthetically pleasing underwater scape'. It has nothing to do with imitating landscapes at all, that is one area of aquascaping.

Reef tanks are aquascaped and they are not trying to make landscapes. Dutch tanks are aquascaped and they aren't (in traditional terms) making a landscape.

Nature Aquarium (a contradiction in terms IMO) is the 'landscape' part and even that as far as I can see is an evolution from it's original beginnings where Amano was not recreating landscapes. He was making nice layouts, very vague in their detail and quite simply leaving themselves open to interpretation. Blurred lines that the viewer could decide what they were seeing.

It is the last 5 to 10 years where more and more landscape ideas have started to dominate to the point where people have turned what was an art-form into more of a technical replication. More Craft than Art if you ask me.

So yes I agree with the OP here. The beauty of aquascaping when I came into the hobby was that there were blurred lines and vagueness within a scape that leave it open to the viewer's interpretation. For one person it was a cliff scene, for another it was a river bank underwater for Someone else it was something else.

What we have now is a more technical, craft-like dictatorial style where there are no blurred lines, there is no vagueness, there is no interpretation other than it is what it is. Its a cliff. It looks like a cliff, There's a tiny tree on top so it has to be a cliff. These scapes do not leave you anything to interpret and become soulless to me and I have often compared them to model train scenery.

So yes times have changed and IMO not for the better.

Of course this opinion always gets many bites so I'll get my tin hat on.

As a proviso I am not belittling the technical aspects or abilities of these scapes or scapers. They are incredible pieces of work. It's just the extreme replication that removes the viewer's ability to use their imagination and see something different to the person that disappoints me.

I think I said once that an early Amano scape 3 people could say 'It looks like a river', 'No It looks like a cliff face', 'No It looks like a Mountain Range'. People could stay in front of that scape and discuss it for a time. The modern version Would be the first person saying 'It is a mountain range' The other 2 people would then agree, admire the scape for a few minutes and then move to the next one.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2015
    keithgh, greenfinger 2 and ShadowMac like this.
  6. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

I think supercoley summed it up best. I agree with him. I'm not a fan at all of the very literal landscape scenes within an aquarium. It is trite and sometimes tacky when you add a toy car or figurine. Isn't that what we were trying to get away from? They look like old movie special effects just short of the claymation dinosaur.

While I admire some of the technical skill, its not to my taste. I'm a fan of the nature aquarium and that is what brought me here. I enjoy the interpretive nature of those scapes.

Another issue I see with these types of scapes is that they work great for a photograph, but some of the tricks of scale and depth will not work as well in person. This is why I wouldn't choose to put one in my home.

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.