1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Tank Overhaul is Completed - Thank You Everyone!

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by EChord, Jun 30, 2014.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

EChord

I have had a bit of stress in my life (who has not) I find looking at the tank very relaxing especially when I am holding one of our cats who is fascinated with the movement in the tank.

Planning a new tank is very relaxing as well for me.

Keith:):)

EChord and Glomeridae like this.

Sponsored link:

2. Glomeridae

Glomeridae Active Aquascaper

I'm completly agree with Keithgh. When I'm stressed, I like to sit in front of tanks and look at them for a moment!

keithgh and EChord like this.
  3. EChord

EChord Aspiring Aquascaper

Aquascaping - it's cheaper than the doctor! lolol

greenfinger 2 and keithgh like this.
  4. keithgh

If you are lucky your Dr might have a fish tank in the waiting room.

EChord likes this.
  5. EChord

My pediatrician did have one when I was a kid, but that was also Miami. Not so common here in CO. I still remember being fascinated by the fish, though I don't remember what they were. Only that they were tropical with fake plants. lol

ShadowMac and keithgh like this.
  6. EChord

I finally got around to pulling all the rocks out and leveling the substrate in front. Not sure I like it leveled, but going to give the plants a chance to grow in a bit more before final decisions since everything's pretty short at the moment. I pulled out a bunch of the C. parva (which are now residing in a cube I had to put together very quickly), and there are some Erio parkeri (thanks Shawn!) next door to them, now, as well as some more of the parkeri in the back left.

I split/trimmed the P. helferi, and discovered one of the stems had attached itself to a rock, and also had a little 'pup' growing off of it. :D I trimmed the top of that one off, so now I've got 4 total heads. I'm thinking that as soon as I get a bit more, I'm going to try attaching one in the 'crook' in the wood and see how it does.

I'll also be thinning out the stargrass but waiting for the replanted tops to grow up again so that I can hand some of them off to someone for their tank. :)

Not totally sold on all the placement yet, so we'll see what else changes. lol

Tank Leveled 10-26-2014 1000.jpg

Glomeridae, greenfinger 2 and keithgh like this.
  7. keithgh

EChord

It looks very neat and tidy now making it very easy to admire.

Personally I would leave it alone and let it develop then and only them make any necessary changes.

That does not mean neglect the tank you will still require the regular maintenance and trimming.

8. EChord

Thanks! I'm def planning to see how things grow in before doing anything else major. Plants make the scape dynamic, and I have to give it a fair shot before making up my mind. :)

No need to worry on the maintenance front - I find I enjoy getting into there. My fish are getting so used to me, last night my otos started suckering onto my tweezers. I've also bumped into some of the barbs a couple times cuz I think they just stopped paying attention to my hands. Either that or the males are too busy flaring at each other to care about me. lol

9. keithgh

EChord
    That is great news in the end your tank will look a lot better.

10. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

I can't wait until the dwarf baby tears carpet completely! That will help bring the scape together much more.
    Post some more pics soon. (y)

keithgh and EChord like this.
  11. EChord

Thanks! I was actually going to replace the HC w/ the monte carlo, but when I got in there, I realized the HC had rooted quite a bit more than I thought, so I'm giving them another go. :) I think they just got super hammered by the GW episode since they seem much happier now.

In the meantime, I've got monte carlo in the cube, and am also transitioning a batch over to terrestrial for use in a first time attempt at Wabi Kusa - and if I manage to kill it, like I've killed so many other house plants, then it's all Roy's fault! :D

12. lucasgg

lucasgg Active Aquascaper

I think that the Monte Carlo would work well for looks, if the dwarf baby tears die off. What are your lighting specs?

keithgh likes this.
  13. EChord

Directly under my fixture at an 18" depth PAR is 125, and 9" off center from the fixture at the same depth is 65. My fixture is on tank mounts, so is fairly close to the top, but I do have a glass canopy btwn it and the water.

This is the fixture if you want to look at more data:
    http://www.buildmyled.com/10000k-planted/
    I have a 75 deg fixture because I was able to get a bit of a discount on one they had on hand.

I have a standard 29 gal, and the tank dimensions are 30" wide x 12" deep x 18" tall with about 1-1.5 inches substrate in the front, prob about 4 inches in the back.

If try number 2 on the HC doesn't work, then I'll def switch to the monte carlo. Just figured with the rooting going on, they deserved another chance. :)

lucasgg and keithgh like this.
  14. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi EChord,
    Glad to hear the HC has rooted.Fingers crossed it will take off now :whistle:
    Great news that you are doing a W-K :rolleyes: Looking forward to the photos.
    I am sure you will take care of your first W-K. I will be checking:sneaky: Well i don't want you to blame me :LOL:

Last edited: Nov 1, 2014
    lucasgg and keithgh like this.
  15. EChord

Pic is from Jan 28

I've been gone for awhile due to various ongoing family things that have needed handling. My tank actually turned into quite the jungle for a bit there, too, and I've been getting it back under control bit by bit. This was after a trim I did back at the end of January. I'd recently added some Limnophila hippuridoides and Rotala wallichi at the time of the pic. The Limno is now filled in more, and mostly where you see it in the pic. The Rotala has been moved more to the left (grows slow in my tank), and the Myrio trimmed to mostly fill the far left corner. I've also recently pulled the Myrio from behind the wood, and put in some of the Lobelia cardinalis (a couple stems that I let get pretty tall) instead, and I like the look

My buces have also all been flowering, though you don't see that so much in this shot, since I think, at the time, the only flowering one was the Theia 5 that's being covered by the Myrio. Also realized my khulis are probably pulling up portions of the HC when they root around for food.
    I'll try to post a more recent pic soon, but I had this one handy, and hey - provides more of a complete story overall.

I know there's some brush algae on the wood, but I like the look so have been leaving it. I do still fight thread/hair algae, and am working to get rid of some staghorn right on the top of the wood.

Tank Jan 28 2015.jpg

16. BBogdan

BBogdan Aspiring Aquascaper

Hi EChord ,
    i like your buces ... maybe you'll have time to take better pics of them now that they have flowers. :)