1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Tank Overhaul is Completed - Thank You Everyone!

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by EChord, Jun 30, 2014.

1. EChord

EChord Aspiring Aquascaper

Price is what held me back for so long too. Works out about the same price in US dollars too, at anywhere between $10-$20 a stem depending on species. Glad I finally took the plunge though.

I got mine from another hobbyist/collector, and he ended up surprising me with an extra stem on the Theia and Blue Devil (and slightly larger stems than I expected too) because he needs to thin out his plants. Might be the way for you to go too if you take the plunge. Gotta admit I think I'm bitten by the buce bug at this point, but we'll see how I feel after some time. :) I'm already lusting after an 'Achilles' from Vasteq's post cuz I think the leaf veining is just way cool. lol

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.

Sponsored link:

2. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Echord, I will be taking the plunge soon. I have found a shop that supply's buce plants. 7-8 miles from where i live so i can see the plants before i buy them:cool:
    Great that you have a Hobbyist suppler of buce plants. Top info and better plants. Nice guy for sorting you some extra plants as well. Still not cheep but the extra plants ease the pain.
    Lusting after plants be careful my friend. I said to the Wife once "What a sexy bit of wood" The look i got from the Wife :eek: I won't tell her that i dream of Wabi- Kusa too. Strange how a hobby can effect the mind :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
    Achilles is a Super looking plant
    Anyway Hope your plants settle in and grow well for you.

keithgh and EChord like this.
  3. EChord

lol! Oh my, hopefully nobody else overheard you. On the other hand it makes for a great story and inside joke, and what the hay, you won't ever see those folks again anyway! :D

Nice on finding a shop that supplies buces! Very lucky! Definitely makes it easier than relying on pics from the web. You should have seen me researching pics of the species he had available. I had multiple windows each with a different buce species and kept flipping between them and comparing them to a pic of my tank. I even went to the extreme at one point of sizing some of the pics to the approximate size the plant would be in relation to the tank. lol

Haven't quite gotten to dreams of Wabi-Kusa, but I might end up with dreams of Bucephalandra. You realize it sounds like we're making up movie titles here? Maybe we should write a screenplay! lolol

Hey, at least this obsession is a healthy one! You create and maintain something beautiful while also providing a healthy habitat for living things. Plus it keeps the mind active in learning about all the new species and tech out there. I also find that not only is the tank itself calming and meditative, but so is the process of trimming - probably similar to those that pursue bonsai. Much healthier and more beneficial than most other hobbies imo. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it! lol :D

ShadowMac, greenfinger 2 and keithgh like this.
  4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Lately I think I have been so tired my old brain just wants to sleep as well.

Keith:):)

greenfinger 2 and EChord like this.
  5. EChord

lol - It's just smart. It knows it doesn't need any more info and is putting on the brakes! ;)

greenfinger 2 and keithgh like this.
  6. EChord

It's another phone pic. I will get a good shot with my camera one of these days. :)

I just did a bunch of moving things, including pulling out the Isoetes plant, and adding a bit more substrate (flourite) to the back (esp where the Isoetes was) so things are still a bit to the cloudy side, but clearing up well.

I hacked the stargrass way down, so it's not quite as pretty, but is recovering nicely. I didn't think to pull the bases and replant the tops, but I'll do that next time. It grows quick. :)

Also had a brief resurgence of the algae because I didn't realize my macros had run out (I have an auto doser). Really got to stop making such stupid mistakes. :rolleyes: Anyway - now that the tank is getting macros again, things are getting back into balance. Also I do still plan to get a tank backing on there at some point. lol

Tank 10-7-2014_1000.jpg

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  7. EChord

btw - the Bucephalandra blue devil is in front of the rock on the left and also in front of the DW on the left side. DW, The pygmaea is to the left of the blue devil in front of the DW and the Theia 5 is against the back next to the Cabomba. You can't seen the red sword in this pic.

keithgh likes this.
  8. keithgh

EChord

Sorry to tell you link not visible.

9. EChord

I think it's fixed now - I re-uploaded the pic

keithgh likes this.
  10. keithgh

i[​IMG]

EChord
    I have two suggestions for you to consider
    1 Level the substrate out as suggested.
    2 Can you remove ??? what ever it is front centre of the tank for some reason my eye is drawn to it every time I look at you Aquascape.

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  11. EChord

lol - it's a rock (basalt w peridot) that has more peridot on it than the others. I am planning to move or remove it along with the rest of the rocks, just haven't decided what I'm going to do yet, though I am toying with a few ideas. I did pull out the pebbles today. The white "sand" :rolleyes: has mixed enough at this point that it looks deliberate, so I figured the pebbles weren't needed anymore.

I'll def even out the substrate too. I've had trouble doing it up to this point, but have an old plastic card now that I can use. :)

Thanks!

keithgh likes this.
  12. EChord

Here's a shot of an oto on that very rock. lol

Otocinclus Peridot.jpg

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  13. greenfinger 2

Hi EChord Looking Great. Plants are settling in nicely :rolleyes: Looking forward to seeing the buce grow in. Stunning plants:rolleyes::rolleyes:
    Cool little oto :love:

keithgh and EChord like this.
  14. EChord

Here's the tank about 10 days after the last shot. I moved out some of the C. parva in preparation for some changes I'll be making soon. Stargrass needs to be trimmed again, and I'll do that in the next day or two.

Tank 10-17-2014 1000.jpg

15. greenfinger 2

Hi EChord, Looking great:rolleyes: Wow that star grass grows fast.Nice looking plant :)

EChord and keithgh like this.
  16. keithgh

EChord

That is looking a lot better already.

It will look a stunner in the near future.

EChord likes this.
  17. EChord

Roy - yep the stargrass is a very quick grower esp with CO2, so it gets trimmed frequently. It's prob the fastest growing thing in the tank atm. I don't mind much, either, since I've got a nice mix of fast and slow in the tank, and I also discovered I like trimming. I think there's a sense of satisfaction that comes with it. :)

18. EChord

Thanks Keith!

I def enjoy watching the tank in the evenings. It's brought a sense of enjoyment and satisfaction I've never had with any other tank before. I'm hooked and I love it. lol :)

keithgh likes this.
  19. keithgh

EChord

It was a pleasure helping you now you can start helping others by what you have learnt here on ASW and I guarantee you will get even more enjoyment.

EChord and greenfinger 2 like this.
  20. greenfinger 2

Hi EChord,
    That's the best mix of plants to have fast and slow growers :)

I look at my tank for hours in the evenings. Big plus at this time of year it gets dark outside at about 6pm. The tank looks so much better in a dark room. Its so relaxing to watch and all the stress's of the day just fades away :cool:

I also get satisfaction from trimming plants:D Then sit back and thing that's a job well done. But then you see you have miss a bit :eek::LOL:

EChord likes this.