1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Tank Overhaul is Completed - Thank You Everyone!

Discussion in 'Aquascaping Journals' started by EChord, Jun 30, 2014.

1. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

We all make those mistakes. Today I discovered that I had messed up my CO2 timer when doing maintenance over the weekend. It had been running for 2 days straight! :O My shrimp looked really "drunk" with CO2 intoxication. I think I caught it in time and no one died. The tank got a long break from CO2 today.

The plants look to be growing well. Do I see a bichir on the left side of the second picture? If so, so much for shrimp to help with the algae on the wood. That can happen with hardscape and a toothbrush can sometimes help, but over time it will get tough to remove.

Let me know if you want some monte carlo to cover that bare part in the front left.

Keep on keeping on

EChord and keithgh like this.

Sponsored link:

2. EChord

EChord Aspiring Aquascaper

Glad the shrimp made it through okay! I can only imagine what that must have felt like. :O

:) No bichir - the black fish on the left is a very excited black kuhli loach. There are the yellow striped ones in there too (I've had the school for several years), but the black ones come out a lot more. They also do a mad swimming routine almost any time I do any kind of maintenance in the tank - even if it's just trimming. In that pic I had just finished a water change, trimming, and full blown uprooting of some things, so the customary mad dash around the tank was at play. lol

I'm not certain shrimp would do well in the tank, though I did consider it for a long time, especially since my LFS actually has amanos. I'm worried about their survival on two fronts. First that the fish would end up figuring out that shrimp are tasty, and second, there are pH fluctuations between CO2 on/off cycle due to hard water and higher pH (around 6.4 - 7.8 daily swing) which I'm not sure they would survive since I know inverts are pretty touchy about fluctuations like that. If you think they might do okay under those conditions, though, I might give it a shot.

I'll probably take you up on the monte carlo (thanks!), but I want to get that hair algae under better control first. It's bad enough in the larger stem plants, when it gets in the ground cover it's a bit of a nightmare. Between that and the CO2 screw up/light blockage (from the green water), the HC is mostly gone. Also thinking about re-homing the quillwort, though I think it's a cool plant. I just don't think it has the space to show to it's full advantage in my tank. I def miscalculated on how that one would fit in. The other thought I had was to take it terrestrial, but I'm a bit of a black thumb with potted plants since I tend to forget to water them. Probably why I like aquatic, that problem goes away. lol

I'll also be tweaking hardscape one of these fine days, but still need to make some decisions on that score. I've currently got the pebbles (which I know don't match) on the pathway because I made the mistake of buying some white sand at petco. I only needed another cup or two to fill in, so I didn't want to buy a big bag of play sand that I would then have to store. Big mistake. I don't know what they're making that stuff out of, but it's so **** lightweight it ends up everywhere (which the play sand did not do). I put the pebbles down to keep any more of it from traveling all over the tank as a stop gap till I can get back in there to properly address the issue. I rather suspect their 'sand' is actually plastic. Do NOT buy it.

keithgh likes this.
  3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

ECord

I personally would remove that short pathway as it does nothing for your Aquascape it appears to go nowhere.
    Its great to see that you have cleared the tank up.

Keith:):)

EChord likes this.
  4. EChord

Thanks for the advice! I'll consider removing it when I work up the guts to mess with the hard scape again. lol

Now if I could just get rid of that thread/hair algae I'd be much happier. It's making me crazier than any of the other algaes I've had to this point. :p

keithgh likes this.
  5. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

If you don't have shrimp and don't plan to keep them in that tank you can use APIs algaefix to kill the hair algae. Perhaps, after a period of time and some carbon filtration you could add shrimp, but the algaefix zaps them just as well as it does algae.

6. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi EChord, I have Hair Algae in my Cube :( I have been sucking out as much as i can with mini water changes 2-4 Lt every other day and using cotton buds to get any little bits left.Seems to be working after 2 weeks :)

7. keithgh

8. EChord

Been doing the manual removal thing, but was out of town again. However, that should be last trip for awhile, so I should be able to concentrate more fully on constant harassment of that algae. Thanks for sharing your experience with it - it gives me some hope to keep with the manual removal a bit longer.

Shawn - I've definitely been considering the algaefix, and if things don't start improving soon, I might just resort to it. Thank you for suggesting it - I was worried about both its safety and efficacy, and you pretty much answered both questions. :)

keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  9. EChord

Thanks for the link, Keith! Def some good info there, and I bookmarked the link in my reference folder. :)

I am curious - what's the current thinking around here about too much iron? Seems like half what I read says too much iron is a cause, while the other half says that was an erroneous conclusion and it has nothing to do with iron. Ran across the the same thing with phosphates too. Anyway - need to test my iron again, but last I did (about a week ago), it was too low so I upped the dosage slightly. The hair/thread algae doesn't seem to be any more or less affected by that, but I would love to hear other ppl's experience on this.

Also - just for completeness of info - my cherry barbs don't seem to be eating much (if any) of it, though occasionally they pick at it a little. Not sure if that means anything (like diff sp) but thought I would mention it in case it's relevant.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
    keithgh likes this.
  10. keithgh

EChord

I use Seachem Liquid Ferts in my planted Shrimp tank (as recommended by Seachem) every day and some only twice a week after the water change, with the daily ferts I double dose on water change days only, I have reduced my algae to practically zero since I stated doing a twice a week 30% water change and kept my Shrimp and Fish feeding under control.

The longer you are interested in Aquariums you will see trends in Yes & No plus the Internet full of a topics often wrong but because its on the Internet the inexperienced believe it must be true.

When doing any research try to check where the information came from.

Fertilisers and Medications over dose can cause concerns as much as under dosing.

Carbon in filters is an excellent product that can be used after medications but left in a filter when not required can lead to other problems.

Before you start using any product in an Aquarium you must read and understand all the instructions.

EChord likes this.
  11. greenfinger 2

Hi EChord, A lot of info on the WWW is incorrect or just plain rubbish.That's why a joined this forum for good sound advice from people that have been there and done it (y)
    London tap water is as hard as nails with high phosphates. I don't use test kits anymore there a waste of money. But from when i did i know i have high phosphates.So i don't think its phosphate that cause hair algae. Iron ? I doubt it.

I think i have its because i rescaped the Cube about a month ago and changed things less plants semi new water the lighting from 30w LED to a 25w gls bulb. I thought the lower light may combat this issue:whistle: The regular water changes and taking out as much as poss. Seem to be working well there's less now than there was :)
    As to fish eating it ?? I don't think much does even my Amano shrimp avoid it :( Ho the small snails i have. Not sure if they eat it seen a few sort of hanging off the stuff but they could just be stuck there ???

ShadowMac, keithgh and EChord like this.
  12. keithgh

EChord

I had "Phosphates" in my Shrimp tank and I had Algae, I used a Phosphate removal filter pad and followed instructions, next I now make sure I never miss my twice weekly 30% water change.

All I can say now is the Algae is 99% gone the Shrimp are breeding better, and I have had two flowers on a tall Crypt.

This link might help you.

http://freshaquarium.about.com/od/watercare/a/phosphates.htm

EChord and greenfinger 2 like this.
  13. EChord

So I had to 'neglect' the tank for the last week or two - meaning that I wasn't continuing to hassle the algae, and lo and behold it's clearing up on its own! *does a happy dance* :D

Last night I did a bunch of trimming on the stargrass and did pick out some of the hair algae in one corner, but all the algae that was mixed in the plants and everything seems to be gone now. Yay! I'm assuming things balanced out enough that the plants started out competing it, and/or maybe the ramshorn snails accounted for some of it. They're certainly munching what's on the driftwood, though the algae on the driftwood doesn't bother me. Anyway, here's an updated pic right after trimming (which is the big clump floating in the corner). I know I will need to trim the star grass some more, but figured I'd do trimming part 2 in a couple days.

Tank 09192014.JPG

14. greenfinger 2

Hi EChord, That's great news :cool: The Scape is looking fab :rolleyes:

keithgh and EChord like this.
  15. EChord

Thanks! I'm just thrilled the hair algae is almost gone - out of the all the possible algae, that one makes me the craziest.

16. greenfinger 2

Hi EChord, Hair algae is a nightmare :eek::eek: But you can beat it :D Its taking longer than i thought in my cube :( But i will get there in the end:whistle:

keithgh and EChord like this.
  17. EChord

Fight the good fight my brother in arms! lol

18. keithgh

EChord

Looks like you have every thing under control now, a little trim here and and there will thicken the plants up a lot faster for you.

EChord likes this.
  19. EChord

So today I just got my first Bucephalandras and am very excited about it. I've been thinking about that group for a long time now, and just hadn't taken the plunge till now. I've got some Theia 5, Blue Devil, Pygmaea, and Red Sword, though at this point, most of what you can actually see without looking closely are the Theia and BD since the other two are much smaller and I only have one stem of those two. I also hacked the star grass way down - about half the height it is in that last pic, so when it recovers a bit (ie doesn't look so ratty lol), I will post another pic. :)

greenfinger 2 and keithgh like this.
  20. greenfinger 2

Hi EChord, Bucephalandras :rolleyes: I have been thinking of getting some Buce. At the moment its the price of the plants that's holding me back £12 a plant :eek: My Birthday is coming up so we will see:D
    Looking forward to seeing the photos of the Scape and some nice shots of the Buce ;)