1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Tank maint.

Discussion in 'Beginner's Corner' started by Vertigo, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Vertigo

Vertigo New Member

As I am new to the aquascaping aspect, I am curious as to how does one go about tank main?
    Specifically, I am asking with regards to the substrate.

Coming from a reef aquarium with prior dealings with a community tank with easy to grow plants with an UG filter, it was practice to vacuum the gravel.

I however haven't seen much mention with regards to doing so.

Here I am asking, how does one keep the substrate clean and the detritus from building up?

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

It depends upon your layout. If you use carpeting plants like hair grass (eleocharis species) or HC (hemianthus callitrichoides) or monte carlo, all of which will grow over your substrate and form a planted carpet you do not need to do much in terms of substrate vacuuming. I will use a small hose and siphon detritus if I notice a buildup, but no reason for a big substrate vac since you would uproot and damage your planted carpet. The plants will take care of processing much of the detritus. Also, with regular water changes, good maintenance, and proper filtration you should not have too much of a detritus build up. Aquascapes generally have low bioloads.

UGFs aren't really used anymore since they do complicate the rescaping or moving of plants. Canister or sump filtration is preferred, with sump setups generally being superior.

For foregrounds or areas that do not have plant cover some surface vacuuming is done. Top layers of sand are often siphoned off and replaced with fresh sand to keep it looking clean. Sand layers are generally very thin, so not much else is done.

You can check out YouTube for lots of maintenance videos if you want to see general maintenance being performed.

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Vertigo

I used UGF in conjunction with large Eheim canisters and never a problem with either.
    One reason not many sold today as one LFS told me once they sell it there is no continual come back for replacements etc. Cleaning under the UGF is extremely easy all I every did was syphon from of the outlet tube. I never bought air stones I bought the adjustable nylon type and they never wore out. Outlet tubes easily hidden behind planting. One rumour by non UGF uses is the plates get blocked by the plant roots "Totally wrong" Here is my last tank it was also featured in an Australian Aquarium Calendar. It had to be pulled down health reasons only. Its being converted to a Terrascape now.

I am now using the UGF plates and using the outlet tube to water the plants from the bottom and it works extremely well
    [​IMG]

The 5ft also had UGF
    [​IMG]

In the open spaces 5ft only I would wave the syphon over the substrate. With the heavily planted smaller tank I would wave the syphon over the plants.

Keith:cat::cat:

ShadowMac and jordimex like this.
  4. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Vertigo

We have not heard from you re keeping your substrate clean?

Keith:cat::cat: