1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Talk about your “Hobbies” and naturally plenty of photos.

Discussion in 'The Aqua Lounge' started by keithgh, Dec 1, 2013.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Where do you start with all those replies and photos.

PtiJo
    Let me put it this way Gardening and Fishing is very relaxing (especially at our age).

Your hobby sounds like it could be very disciplined when you are trying to ????? the opponent who is trying to do the same to you.

You also like to photograph something different, have you tried B&W that rock work would be very interesting in B&W.

That is a good way to have a pond on a balcony.

Roy

That allotment is bigger than I thought it was, it has a great mix of plants and Veggies there, when do you find the time to look after all that?

I have heard in some of those allotments owners swap plants and veggies.

You have far more growing than you would ever require.

The only veggies I grow are parsley, garlic chives, mint and two tomato plants in pots.

Evelyn

That reminds me I went to a wedding and they served whole fish (head and all) Oh boy did I have a good feed that day.

Where we are the winters are cold but nothing like you have and our summers can do a lot of damage to gardens but you use plenty of mulch and only have plants that are suitable for your local area weather conditions.

[​IMG]
    That is a marble open cut area it is just below the surface Far North Queensland.
    [​IMG]
    A Frangipani Tree in the school yard on the island in the Torris Straits.
    [​IMG]
    That is the main street on the island, practically every home has a Frangipani tree and some are monsters.
    [​IMG]
    A few Boy's Toys Cairns Queensland.
    [​IMG]
    We were just above the clouds in a Dash 8 passenger plane and this was the result it looks like the propeller has stopped.
    [​IMG]
    Coming into land in a 6 seater small plane I sat in the front it was fantastic, I had to wear ear plugs it was so noisy.
    [​IMG]
    One of my favourite photos on the Island now that is a BIG piece of DW.

Keith:):)

greenfinger 2 likes this.

Sponsored link:

2. moss_maniac

moss_maniac Aspiring Aquascaper

Tank you ptiJo
    I like your balcony pond - what about having a bigger one?
    I had one in 2010 - its just a plastic flower container:

Hüpferlinghotel 2.JPG

3. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

@Keith: nope, never really did B&W (or Sepia). I tried a few times but felt like I was missing something :) BTW, I like that last "DW on Island" shot!
    @Evelyn: well, I have one as big as I can :) 70x20x25cm. It takes the whole "balcony". In fact, it's not a balcony that much, it's more a window sill :)
    [​IMG]
    See that brown box behind the window? I can't get bigger one than this in my 3rd floor appartment :D

greenfinger 2 and keithgh like this.
  4. moss_maniac

@ptiJo: Oh very pretty - also your aquarium corner! :) A wall garden like yours is still on my wish list.... ;)

Wow Roy - interesting photos! :) I love the flowering road view - that' exactly how I remember AUS :love:

5. keithgh

Evelyn

Are you referring to my photo as that was in the Torris Straits a long way from the mainland Aust and in very hot tropical climate.

What part of Aust are you referring too?

It has fish in/on it??

The only outside water we have is two bird baths.

I had plans to do one a series of three and a water fall only problem it would be a home for Mossies.

ptiJo

I have more massive DW photos

Is that the hanging wall of Paris a great idea for a small area.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2013
  6. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

@Evelyn: Thanks! This particular wall is "not that bad". But it's quite difficult to hide all those plastic bits :-/ It could/should have bigger/wider pots so that much can be planted inside. Or maybe I should just use difference plants :p I may not be using the most adapted plants for such a thing.
    @Keigh: I wish I could find some here... some that would fit in my <20L tanks :D

7. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi All, :D ptiJo Love the little pond you have fab idea for a small space(y) Wow nice set up with all the little Aquascapes i bet you sit there for hours i know i would :D And the hanging plants :rolleyes::rolleyes:And Azolla is on my hit list:whistle:
    Evelyn, Love your pond with the lichen on the twigs :rolleyes: Think this coming year will have to do something like it well i can say its for Shaun :LOL:
    Keith, The allotment is 60ftx30ft its easy to look after as its all done on a bed system about 4 hours a week is all that is needed to look after it but we are over there a lot more than that:D Nice just to potter about we often say we will just pop over for a hour or so 6-8 hours later we are still there:LOL: And nice people too. And yes we swap ideas plants and crops and have fun to well that's what its all about A couple of other allotment holders are fishermen to one even keeps tropical fish :cool: Ho and his son works in the local tackle shop:cool: So can get all the local info on where is fishing best and what the top bait is very handy :cool::cool:

8. moss_maniac

I thought the most of the area between Cairns and Cooktown Keith -
    were I had been first time in 1982 - at a time, where there was almost no tourism in this area. Great adventure, that changed myself a bit too!
    I remember a camping ground directly at the beach, which was planted like a flower-paradise and it was full of animals, especially birds as well. Every afternoon there was served free tea to everybody - a wonderful place to stay - I will never forget. But all camping places were planted wonderful - and on the privat houses had been boards in front of the garden door with all sorts of very impressing hibiscus flowers they had in the garden - only to show or to exchange them, or whatever - I don't know.(n)
    But also in Sydney (Riverstone) and in Melbourne I saw some massive planted gardens. But I also saw gardens covered with green painted concrete and rocks with some holes in it for the shrubs. Understandable, if you think, how expensive water is there.

9. moss_maniac

Keith, did you mean my verandah pond? No, only for two weeks some shubunkins, then I used it as a water flea hotel to feed my aquarium fishes, but this did not work well - maybe I put in too many of them :D - anyway. The last years some of my tomatoes are growing in there... ;)

mmmhm - a little waterfall is hanging around in my "backest" brain too :love:
    Maybe a waterfall mossgarden in that tomatoe container?:cool: Tomatoes grow well in old buckets, too... :whistle:
    My life is simply too short for all of my wishes and interests to come true :(

Thank you Roy :D yes, Shaun will be a very good excuse for almost everything - little boys need input!!! :D:D:D

10. keithgh

Evelyn

That is fantastic harsh country in that area, that island is in Torris Straits north of the mainland the only way to get there is Via a small charted plane from Thursday Island.

Yes some homes still have "concrete" lawns its lazy nothing else.

Roy that is great exchanging goods and getting the latest fishing information.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    That DW is certainly not from any where near that area it could have travelled 100s of klm from another country way beyond Aust
    [​IMG]
    That dug out was also found on the beach near the DW also from ????
    The Game boat off shore was what I fished off for a week.
    [​IMG]
    This is how the Islanders keep the Coral Crayfish alive until ready for the main land markets.

moss_maniac likes this.
  11. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

Nice peaces of wood. So frustrating I can't find some only 20cm wide (to put in my tanks) :D

12. greenfinger 2

HI All, Keith ,Its fab over the allotment plus fishing info as well who could want more. Ho and free worms out of the compost heap :cool: The DW in the first pic:love::love: I want that bit hands off :LOL: Neat way of keeping Crayfish alive in a old boat. And the boat you fished from looks fab :cool: I have not been boat fishing in a long time:(
    Evelyn,This year i am going to try growing tomatoes in a container but upside down so the plant grows down to the floor:D So they say you get a better crop of toms this way we will see :whistle:
    PtiJo You cannot find DW :eek: Do you mean from nature ;) Or LFS ??? :unsure:

13. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

I meant from Nature. And in shops, it's
    -a- difficult to find "small" ones
    -b- too expensive for such tiny peaces of wood :)

14. moss_maniac

Boah those were roots Keith :D

Here you get cheap small ones in the building centers ptiJo

Yes, I also think, in this way Tomatoes will grow better Roy :)
    The pots warm up by sun and the water comes directly to the roots, they stay longer humid.

15. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

Lucky one Evelyn :)

16. keithgh

Roy
    In all I think there were four big pieces, they were just around the corner of the island.

The owner of the fishing set up was going to wait for the big high tides to tow them out to sea and around the corner. They would have to dig them out by hand first, let the tide lift them, then tow them.

[​IMG]
    Two of us ruffed it up in that little hut for a week.
    [​IMG]
    Accommodation OK that was my bed and that spar bath was fantastic after a hot days fishing.
    [​IMG]
    Yes those trees are growing in the sea water.
    [​IMG]
    That is what I went up for a big Red Emperor, I think he was around the 30lb mark.
    [​IMG]
    That is what happens when fishing in big shark country.
    [​IMG]
    Inside a shopping centre at Cairns Queensland.
    [​IMG]
    Street Garden near the shopping centre.

17. greenfinger 2

Hi Keith, Nice place and the DW well i think we would all like some :giggle: Are the trees out of the water at low tide?? If not how the hell do they survive. Now that is a stunning fish love the colour(y) Looks like a fantastic fishing area:) Poor little fish but when sharks are about that's what happens You end up with just 1/3 of a fish but one happy shark :D After a long days fishing i can just see you relaxing in the spar with a glass of wine :cool::cool: All in all looks like a fab place to have a relaxing holiday ;)

18. keithgh

Roy at the very low tide yes but during the wet and high tides no in the water all the time.

It was a rocky area very little sandy patches.

Yes I did have a chilled glass of wine often in that spar it had a blue light in it and for safety it was on at night plus the water movement it was a great way to get to sleep.

19. GR1KTR

GR1KTR Aspiring Aquascaper

I'm going to go back a little further in time to when I was amazed with the Barramundi. I grew up around the fishing tackle industry. I used to go to work with my father, who was a sales rep for a major fishing tackle enterprise. I remember visiting my favourite shop... Hook Up Bait and Tackle somewhere near Rowville in Victoria. They had a HUGE barramundi on display in the store. I spent hours looking at it, playing with it, and remember feeding it the odd 'nipper yabby' when I was allowed. I've never seen a stronger strike than that of the barramundi. They are prehistoric. fearce and intelligent. No wonder this prehistoric fish is still alive today. I feel privilidged to have been very close to a top predator of the estuary.

Here it is.. the mighty Australian Barramundi...

Attached Files:

greenfinger 2 and keithgh like this.
  20. keithgh

Glen

That is one big Barra, Hook Up are still going I think.