1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Talk about your “Hobbies” and naturally plenty of photos.

Discussion in 'The Aqua Lounge' started by keithgh, Dec 1, 2013.

1. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Talk about your “Hobbies” and naturally plenty of photos please.

I would like to start a new thread.

Tell all here on ASW about you “Hobbies” other than Aquascaping and Fish keeping.

Naturally plenty of photos to share with others.

I have several most I share with the wife.

Gardening is more than planting a few flowers it can and usually does take many hrs of work over the week.

Naturally you have to take photos, bring cut flowers inside, and share/swap plants with other keen Gardeners.

I grew and showed Orchids for many years I still have too many but into showing any more.

Cooking/BBQ has been a very long hobby of mine not as much entertaining as I used to do now its nice meals as required.

Fishing from Tube Fly Fishing in a very cold lake, to river and off shore in tropical Australia chasing the big fish, I have also done local/interstate FW fishing, surf and rock fishing.

My main hobby now is just relaxing and enjoying my retirement.

[​IMG]

A small section of one the gardens at the front of our home it's a regular stopping point for the local birds especially in the dryer weather.

[​IMG]

My BBQ area I only have a small BBQ now.

I also collect photos of big BBQs

[​IMG]

It's called a Steam punk train

[​IMG]

That is typical of the waters I have fished in.

I have seen my fair share of them FW and Salties

[​IMG]

This is my latest method of relaxing looking after this young Tortie and White young girl.

Keith:):)

Sponsored link:

2. moss_maniac

moss_maniac Aspiring Aquascaper

Ok - then I will out myself also as an enthusiastic flower gardener :D
    Blauregenvorhang.jpg

970703 Yellow Border 2.JPG
    nun geht die blaulila Phase dem Ende zu .....jpg

nick.scott, keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  3. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi Keith, Fab idea for a thread :D Like you my hobby's are Fishing all forms, Cooking, Gardening , And going on long walks in the country side My Wife enjoys the same hobby's as me apart from fishing :LOL: Well we have now been together for 36 years and it was the Wife that taught me to cook :) A couple of pics 1st one is my biggest carp 33lb 6oz pic is about 5 years old now, 2nd pic is my best bass 9 lb from a pier in the UK and the last pic is a flower i love Campanula :rolleyes: fb874f92-d95e-4d4a-bf7f-bf4a4fd3e46e_zps9420abab.jpg e900d95e-83d2-4706-9c2d-01c1193cd26a_zpsfa718fa6-1.jpg 0095_zpsdc0d3acc.jpg

4. Mojojojo

Mojojojo Aspiring Aquascaper

Driving here..in this...

Attached Files:

5. greenfinger 2

Hi Mojojojo, Love the sand dunes :cool: Cars well you put petrol in one end and a key in the other end to start it :LOL: That's all i know about cars :ROFLMAO: The car looks nice though :rolleyes: With the heat over there bet you have the air con all the time ;) Where as here in the UK have our heaters on all the time sometimes even in our summers :ROFLMAO:

Mojojojo likes this.
  6. keithgh

Looks like we are off to a good start.

Evelyn
    Marg (the wife) would call your garden an "English Cottage Garden" the beauty of that type of garden plants drop seeds and next year a different garden appears.

Does that pond freeze over during your winters. I must be lovely sitting out there on a warm spring day.

Roy

That Bass looks like a massive speed machine and a good game fish.

In Aust there is a massive hatred towards Carp there are so many one garden fertilising company makes a very good liquid Fert called "Charlie Carp"
    All FW will tell you the only good carp is a dead carp, on some rivers there a big bins to toss them into as its illegal to even return a dead one.

Mojojojo

That looks like some of the sand dunes on one of our ocean beaches not that far from me.

What part of the world is that as your ASW location is The Desert.

moss_maniac likes this.
  7. keithgh

Cats have always been a big part of my life as Mum was a cat breeder and showed her cats for many years.
    [​IMG]
    Tortie Girl only 18yld and still going not as strong as she used to be.
    [​IMG]
    Note the likeness of this Tortie Daintie, yes that is me at 12yld that was her first cat show.
    I waited all those years to get Tortie.
    [​IMG]
    This is young Deintie (note spelling difference) she is my water change helper.

moss_maniac and greenfinger 2 like this.
  8. keithgh

A few photos of Australia that is well on and off the Tourist holiday Spots
    [​IMG]
    This is a home garden in Torris Straits it is also where the home owners also have a small private cemetery in their garden.
    You cannot see the graves they are well hidden with their plants.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    These beautiful Frangapanny grow extremely well in the tropics the soil (if you could call it that) is so hard a heavy iron crow bar will bounce back with out making much difference, its not that much difference between compacted sand and crushed shells and corals built up 1000s of years ago.
    [​IMG]
    That is an old Termite mound turned into a camp oven by the local people, of Cape York.
    [​IMG]
    A 16ft local Crocodile in the Kakadu Northern Territory we saw this fella several times he left us alone and we respected his territory.
    One late after noon coming back from fishing a long way up river a local tourist boat captain yelled out had we seen any Crocs today naturally YES we called out, then all of a sudden the tourists were taking photos of us because we had seen a Croc.

About a week earlier on another river I was on a Tourist boat myself as I wanted to see the plant and bird life of that river.
    Naturally the boat guide wanted to show the tourists a Croc WOW he found one about 3ft well hidden on a bank, cameras clicking every where funny thing it was an artificial one, how to rip of tourists any way I got a few photos of what I wanted any way.

moss_maniac likes this.
  9. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

Historical hobby is Computer Science. But that doesn't deserve pics :confused:

Next is Karate, Okinawaian Kobudo and Shindo Muso Ryu Jodo. First is well know, last is mostly secret so lets concentrate on the second one. Those are (some of) my toys :
    [​IMG]
    And here are two ways of using it : "fighting" with Bō (long wood stick) and showing the way of the Eku (okinawaian wood oar)

Most recent one, photography. Animals, plants and whatever looks pretty/weird/funny to me :)
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

10. moss_maniac

:love:Wonderful cats Keith,
    I almost can smell the strong perfume of frangapanny -mmmmh!:rolleyes:

Boah, that are fishes Roy :eek: especially in comparison to my galaxies. :D
    I find it very exciting, what else the members are interested in - really a good idea, Keith!

Computering and photographing I like to do also very much
    and 40 years ago:whistle: I tried Aikido at least for one year ptiJO ;)

greenfinger 2 likes this.
  11. greenfinger 2

Hi All, Well this is a fab thread :) So many hobby's:cool: Keith that pic of you is so cute ;) Love the croc Wow he is a big one:eek: Don't think i would fish that much if that's whats in your rivers :( Well i would not want to end up being dinner or a light lunch for him :LOL:
    As to carp i know there hated i can understand it another import that's not working. Bit like the Red signal crayfish over hear destroying our rivers :mad: And the bass yep they don't stop running:) Great fighting fish so much fun to catch. Good eating to but i don't like it much but my friends do :D
    Evelyn ,Love your garden it must be very relaxing:cool: And the Wisteria :rolleyes::rolleyes: Love the look of that plant. And the carp is just a little bit bigger than your Galaxies:LOL:
    PtiJo, Well that looks like it would keep you fit :) Love your pics:cool: Sometimes something special comes out when you just take odd pics I do the same thing :cool:

12. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

Yeah fit... Depends when. I had a special course this week-end ; about 3x5H (of Karate). And we "played" so much and some parts of me feel like I took a bath that that Kakadu's crocodile... :eek::LOL:
    My father (and grand-father) tried to take me to (river) fishing. But I never really liked it. Probably mostly because of the worms... :ROFLMAO: and because I was always scared to slay the fish when taking the fishhook out of the mouth.

13. Mojojojo

Mojojojo Aspiring Aquascaper

Yeah, AC is on all the time. I lived in the UK before moving here...took some getting used to LOL!

14. greenfinger 2

Hi All, Some pics of the allotment:D Well we don't have a garden :( And some more pics of the fish i have enjoyed catching and return back to the river or lake alive to catch another day;)The Sea fish i catch are not so lucky they get eaten :D 0103_zpsa89fe268.jpg 0313_zps0afa2286.jpg 208_zps885bd9f2.jpg 214_zps2abe0d25.jpg img036_zps033ac3bc.jpg img037_zpsbb3c806d.jpg img032_zps1f283b1b.jpg img033_zps8cafa10e.jpg

moss_maniac likes this.
  15. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

Me would have setup a pond in that middle rectangle (shots #3 & #4) ;)

16. greenfinger 2

Trust me if i could i would of :ROFLMAO:The Wife Said NO NO NO :(:( But have got the go on 1/3rd as a moss garden Well in my head its 1/2 :D With some simple planting :) And a water garden In the mix:whistle: With the red floating plant that you have growing :rolleyes::rolleyes: As to fishing well some like it some don't :giggle: But one thing stands out you love nature and all the little things that others overlook (y)

moss_maniac likes this.
  17. moss_maniac

Yes, my garden is very relaxing Roy -
    in winter, when I look at the photos - in summer its only work :D but who cares? :whistle: I need it so.

Do not understand anything about fishing, but I like to eat them. I prefer them in cube or other pieces, because I feel always very sorry for them, if I have to look them into a face...:(

Last edited: Dec 2, 2013
  18. moss_maniac

What about a moss grotto Roy?
    In this way you have the urgent needed shadow and much more space for mosses, too ...;)
    maybe with the mixed moss carpet in front of or around...

19. greenfinger 2

Hi Evelyn, So cool that people from around the world have the same ideas :rolleyes::rolleyes::cool: Just got to get started on the planing(y) I have a idea in our heads :eek::D Well its coming together just got to win Marian over:LOL::LOL: But will be working hard on this project over winter:cool:

moss_maniac likes this.
  20. ptiJo

ptiJo Active Aquascaper

@Evelyn: yes, your pond in photo #1 seem very peaceful. Lucky you ! ;-)
    @Roy: Azolla are reaaaaaaaaally easy to grow. No need for a big space.

Day #1: Take azolla from balcony pond and fill with tap water.
    [​IMG]

Day #20: Tada !!! Ready to send some to friends ;-)
    [​IMG]

moss_maniac and greenfinger 2 like this.