1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

T8 bulbs

Discussion in 'Lighting Requirements' started by Andrews29, Aug 19, 2016.

1. Andrews29

Andrews29 New Member

what t8 bulbs do you guys like / use ? Going on a 29 gallon tank. Need high light for carpet plants. I run co2 and dose with ferts.

Or am I better off going to a lower price LED ?

2. ShadowMac

ShadowMac Moderator Staff Member

T8s are not used much at all these days.
    For a 29 gallon 4 32 watt T8s would do the trick...if you had a good CO2 system, but if memory serves me right, you have a Fluval 88 CO2 thing. That is not good CO2 and you should not count it for a high light tank....particularly on a 29 gallon. I suggest you try to read up some more on pressurized CO2 systems or change your plans to accommodate your equipment, which would be a low light tank running 1-2 32 watt bulbs.

3. Andrews29

Andrews29 New Member

What is wrong with the fluval 88 ? I have seen improvement since I started running it. I ran out of co2 for it for a week and a half and my plants looked like crap.

4. ShadowMac

Compare to an actual pressurized setup. The fluval kit will work fine for a low light setup that won't require CO2 but could benefit it.

Here is what is wrong:

1) insufficient supply for high light systems.
    2) no solenoid, so unable to automate it. Coordinating CO2 with your lighting is critical
    3)it's not cost efficient. Sure easily accessible entry however long term operating costs will exceed that of an actual pressurized system. For comparison sake, a high light 29 gallon tank would require a high bubble rate, upwards of 4-6 bps, and would probably burn through a 5 lbs CO2 tank every 4-6 months which costs about $12 give or take to fill. You do the math to see how fast you'd burn through those 20 gram 3 packs at $12 a pop.

It's unfortunate but these CO2 systems mislead hobbyists about what is actually possible. I wouldn't expect anything great in tanks over 10 gallons.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

5. Andrews29

Andrews29 New Member

Cost is not really an issue nor is turning it on and off.

6. ShadowMac

Then buy a decent Co2 system if you want a high light tank with carpeting plants...but hey, what do I know.

You are welcome to do as you wish...doesn't mean it will work.

7. Andrews29

Andrews29 New Member

Not trying to upset you just trying to learn what makes them system subpar

8. ShadowMac

Each of those little bottles will not even last a month. Bubble rate will constantly change since the pressure inside the disposable canister will change significantly each day. High light tanks with lots of plants have high CO2 demand. Getting it right with a good pressurized system can be tricky.

It'll work fine on a low light tank that does not require CO2 supplementation. It will not work on a high light 29 gallon tank.

9. burr740

burr740 New Member

Cost may not be a factor, but the ensuing headaches you will undoubtedly have once you put high light on the tank will be.

For all the reasons ShadowMac said, do yourself a favor and get a reliable pressurized system.

ShadowMac likes this.
  10. Andrews29

Andrews29 New Member

what is considered high light ? Sorry for so many questions

ShadowMac likes this.
  11. ShadowMac

No problem. We are happy to help. However it's also good to read around. Many questions have been asked before.

High light depends on the light you are using and is always an estimation relative to tank volume. We can help you pick the light that will work best for your budget and goals. Start a journal and post up details about what you'd like to accomplish.

sent from tapatalk on my phone so auto correct and other errors are bound to happen

12. Andrews29

Andrews29 New Member

I'm not sure how to start a journal on here :(

13. ShadowMac

go the journals subsection and start a thread.