1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Surface skimming Of Planted Tank

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by tirtha1979, Nov 9, 2008.

1. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

Hi, here in Gurgaon, India, dust is a very big problem at winter. Now I am getting, a thick film of dust layer, floating. I am running Eheim 2217 for 24x7 but as it's a planted tank there is no surface aggitation.

Now my question is, how to do a surface skimming to remove the dust layer? Is it possible to use a Marine surface skimmer to do this job at night for some time or is there any otherway to handle the problem?

Will be waiting for your input.

2. JEK

JEK New Member

As far as I know marine skimmers does'nt work in freshwater tanks and they don't remove stuff from the surface. They remove protein and and other organic compounds from the water.
    I think you need some surface agitiaton or a tank cover to solve the problem.

3. Shadow

Shadow Moderator Staff Member

4. tirtha1979

tirtha1979 New Member

Thanks a lot for the reply. While searching I found a surface skimmer from Eheim which can be used in planted tank. Did anyone of us used it before?? Please give your feedback.

5. larlee

larlee New Member

I used before.
    Didn't really like it as it has only 2 little suction but it does the job well. I prefer those round top but they are not from eheim.

6. bukhov

bukhov New Member

Greetings Tirhta. Surface skimming from EHEIM very good thing. He will help thee to cope with a dust.