1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Suitable plants and mosses for all those Mini containers Aquascapes.

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by keithgh, Oct 23, 2013.

1. greenfinger 2

greenfinger 2 Active Aquascaper

Hi All, Here's a idea i had To make a little tree ;) Cut some willow branches Put them in a jam jar with water as soon as they start to root put each branch in a separate jam jar and let roots grow when the roots get to a good size Pour out water and put some where warm to dry out then trim to shape add a thin layer of sponge glue or tie on. Add plant and you have a small tree :) Some pics 001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 003.JPG

KatieK and moss_maniac like this.

Sponsored link:

2. moss_maniac

moss_maniac Aspiring Aquascaper

"..........Well that's what this forum is all about Sharing our ideas........."

Yes, this is teamwork - in this way everybody has the chance to develop his own ideas faster, too... a win-win situation... Love it,too.

Unfortunately my life is much to short to do all the interesting experiments I would like to... :unsure:

Hey, great idea Roy (y) also to use that interesting stuff, that is weeded in the garden. :D
    In the last time I also look whereever they build new roads or cycle ways, there you may find interesting roots, pulled out by the diggers...

By the way: I simply could not resist doing also a new one.... :sneaky:

DSCF5768.JPG

Edit: The plant with the round serrated leaves is Cymbalaria muralis, perfekt for wabi kusa, with wonderful tiny little flowers - a bit invasive, when it gets enough water, but what a beauty!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cymbalaria_muralis

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
    janey, keithgh and greenfinger 2 like this.
  3. greenfinger 2

Hi Evelyn, Love it :D:D:D Fantastic thing about looking for plants& moss is you never know what you will find :cool: Some work others don't but its lots of fun finding out :rolleyes:

4. moss_maniac

Lilyturf / Mondograss Ophiopogon japonicus is also very good plant for a Wabi Kusa -
    very prettty flowers and even lovely fruits... it is not adequate for submers planting.
    You can get them in garden centers.
    Fast photo with flashlight in the dark night in my garden some minutes ago ...:whistle:
    and here more informations about that plant:
    http://luirig.altervista.org/pics/index3.php?search=dwarf lilyturf&page=1
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ophiopogon_japonicus

DSCF5770.JPG

And the black mondo grass with decorative black leaves: Ophiopogon planiscapus 'Nigrescens'

DSCF5773.JPG

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
    greenfinger 2 likes this.
  5. greenfinger 2

Hi Evelyn, Not sure:unsure: But think i used that plant in my fist W-K , More of a bog plant ?? One Pic 055.JPG

janey and moss_maniac like this.
  6. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Evelyn

Its very good to see the Botanical names being used with the photos, common "local" names can be very confusing.

When using any kitchen scourers etc make sure they are not soapy or have any chemicals in them.

The thick old filter pads are perfect for that job as they are very open plus can hold the moisture required for the plant its supporting.

I think this a similar plant

https://www.google.com/search?q=dwa...PKkQX85ICYCQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAQ&biw=1152&bih=613
    Its common name is Dwarf Mondo Grass in Aust
    Ophiopogon japonicus 'Nanus'

Keith
    :):)

greenfinger 2 and moss_maniac like this.
  7. moss_maniac

Yes, it is the same plant Keith - good idea with the filter pad .. (y)
    also gorgeous ideas for landscape gardening on your link - thank you!

What a decorative jungle Roy, reminds me to queensland -

yes, wet feet and from time to time a bit drier: in the nature Ophiopogon grows in the shadow and where it is wet, like on brooks or moist hollows - but if you consider its flowers and fruits, it is obviously, that it is no underwater plant.
    It also grows well in quite normal moist garden earth.

In Germany it is very often sold in zoo shops as an aquarium plant (business is business), and actually you can keep it for a long time submerged (I tried it for 4 months - it is very robust) before it begins to rot.

I feel always sad and angry, when I see these lovely plants under water in the shops and nobody believes you, because of the official label at the plant... Moreover they normally have twice the prize in comparison to the ones in the garden department...
    :(

8. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Evelyn

There is one common plant (Purple leaf) it is not an underwater plant but it will survive for a few weeks if lucky.

Its my LFS biggest seller even when told it will not last.

The customer want it and is prepared to pay a high price (garden supplier less than 1/2 price) simply because it there and I WANT IT NOW.

Its a crazy world.

Keith:):)

9. greenfinger 2

Hi Keith, Evelyn, Funny thing The chap at my LFS Though i had gone mad the other week when i picket up three bog plants:eek: He even said what do you want them for you know they won,t last :D Then the penny dropped when i told him i do Wabi-Kusa He thought i was putting them in my tank:ROFLMAO: But as you both said so many people buy them ??? Well they look good but not for long:( Then they come back and buy more of the same???? They should do some reading:D But some people never learn and have got money to burn :confused: As you said Keith Its a crazy world :)

10. moss_maniac

The same here Keith, Roy,
    several emerged plants you can find regularly in the aquarium shops, but they are only surviving in Paludariums or Wabi Kusas

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  11. greenfinger 2

Hi Keith, Just got round to looking at the link you posted :) Fab And this pic i love it :rolleyes: images.jpg Not sure about the little people :eek: