1. Welcome to AquaScaping World!

Become a register member to get FULL SITE ACCESS AND BENEFITS.

Join the ASW community now!

Dismiss Notice

Substrate Help!

Discussion in 'General Aquascaping and Planted Tank Discussions' started by Grimreaperz, Jul 30, 2017.

1. John Whatmough

John Whatmough Aspiring Aquascaper

Generally Amazons,Crypts have big roots once established ,stems like example Egeria ,Hygrophila although root in substrate don't have roots as structured and are easier to move. If you like the look of Amazons probably best to browse a plant catalogue, as the plant you describe looks different ,and look for something like Amazons but without the potential to take over the tank.Nice looking tank though

Sponsored link:

2. John Whatmough

John Whatmough Aspiring Aquascaper

Sorry bit confusing how I put that meant to say the plant instead of Amazon you mention Limnophila doesnt have the look of Amazons ,but as Zeus says it's your tank

3. keithgh

keithgh Moderator Staff Member

Grimreaperz

[​IMG]
    Limnophila sessiliflora is a good and undemanding plant from South-East Asia which is a good alternative to Cabomba, which demands a lot of light. Stems grows fast up to 40 cm long and becomes 3-4 cm wide. The plant often grows leggy in poor light, but this can be counteracted to some extent by stimulating growth by CO2 addition. Most beautiful when planted in groups. In good growing conditions it sends out runners and spreads across the bottom. Limnophila sessiliflora used to be called "Ambulia''.
    http://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Limnophilasessiliflora(047)/4472

Info http://tropica.com/en/plants/plantdetails/Limnophilasessiliflora(047)/4472

If you want a leafy plant check the larger Crypts out once they get establish and correctly fed etc they are a very easy plant to have.

http://www.aquariadise.com/growing-cryptocoryne/

Check with your friend at the LFS.

Keith:cat::cat:

Grimreaperz likes this.
  4. Grimreaperz

Grimreaperz New Member

No I saw limnophilia at an LFS and really liked the look of it and saw it grew big enough to be a background plant I know it's not the same Sword type but I still really liked the looks of it. So I assume you guys are used to dealing with people that don't research prior to asking lol. I just wasn't sure what type of root structure it would have as not many people talk about that lol.

Thanks for the advice!
    What would you guys use for like an overall great place for catalog of plants and information on them? Tropica?

5. keithgh

Grimreaperz

How very true or believe every thing what Dr Google says.

This will depend on your country as they could easily have a different range or import restrictions like Australia.

I will often use them as its usually complete with pictures and written information. The best research is talking to a grower on a good forum eg ASW.

Just remember they are in the business of selling plants.

I good LFS is always a good back up.

Grimreaperz likes this.
  6. Grimreaperz

Grimreaperz New Member

Yeah still finding that good LFS for plants around here. Living in Canada 2hours outta a main city not much around unless you take a drive. Why I like to research online and then ask to see who has it and what they know about it generally I have read several articles and talked to several people both online and in person before purchasing I like the grower idea I actually just met a guy that grows Low tech plants and has a business doing it. He seems Nice! But 100% see his sales tactics lol.

Thanks again!

7. keithgh

Grimreaperz

Those type of members are there for themselves not to help others. I have seen this in other clubs not necessarily Aquarium forums.

I have known Pet shops are only there for Money often have no practical knowledge of what they are selling. One local Pet Shop told me an Aquarium medicine was all OK problem was it was 3+years passed the Use By Date.

Grimreaperz likes this.